Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton is at it again

• 22-07-2005 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

He was involved in another scuffle with a team mate, this time it was Richard Dunne. It happened in the hotel where they are staying for their pre-season tour. Sky were reporting it this morning, apparently it had fists, blood, the whole lot.
    City have released a statement saying that Dunne is exempt from blame, as he seemed to be a peace-maker caught up in the situation.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=293379

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

dunne would hockey little barton around anyway, he aint called the honey-monster for nothing!

barton really does have small mans syndrome, lets hope he gets the maximum fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

It says Barton got in an altercation with a 15 year old Everton fan, LOL. Does he always get in fights with schoolkids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jesus christ twas an altercation with a 15 year old!!
    Wasn't the christmas party incident with one of the youth players too? smashing a bottle into his eye? maybe he just has a problem with young people..or just people full stop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i say his days at city are over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's a sad day when a 23 year old man and a "professional" footballer can't take a little bit of stick from a 15 year old kid.

B.

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the story on the BBC website and look what I found... :rolleyes:

BARTON FACTFILE
    Sep 1982: Born, Huyton
    Apr 2003: Makes Man City debut
    Sep 2003: Called into Eng U21 squad
    Feb 2004: Sent off against Spurs
    Apr 2004: Storms out of ground after being left out for Southampton game
    Jul 2004: Kevin Keegan accuses him of starting brawl in friendly at Doncaster
    Sep 2004: Given new contract
    Dec 2004: Puts lit cigar in Jamie Tandy's eye
    May 2005: Breaks leg of pedestrian while driving
    Jul 2005: Involved in alleged fight in Thai hotel bar

Nice guy eh?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Scum like that don't deserve the lavish lifestyle that football presents to them.

i never realised he was that young! he's only 22! wouldn't you think someone like that at that age would still be utterly thankful for the life he's been presented with! i would kill to be playing my football at that level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

How he is still employed by Man City is beyond me. It's not like he's worth the hassle, he's not a very good footballer at all.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    i would kill to be playing my football at that level!

You'd get on well with Joey so!! ;)

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ISnt he best mates with Gerrard and Gerrard wanted Liverpool to sign him last season! before all this started was one of the brightest young midfielders in the country! hard as nails on the pitch! but seems to have lost it in the last 2 years!!

lol @ Bazmo :)

yeah last year it was a potential that barton would be brought in to appease gerrard so he'd have the english he wanted at the club, and also his buddy. total scumbag though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I never thought he was anything more than very average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Have to agree, beats me why anyone would want to have him in their squad, he's never done anything in a big league game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

BaZmO* wrote:
    Just had a look at the story on the BBC website and look what I found... :rolleyes:

BARTON FACTFILE
    Sep 1982: Born, Huyton
    Apr 2003: Makes Man City debut
    Sep 2003: Called into Eng U21 squad
    Feb 2004: Sent off against Spurs
    Apr 2004: Storms out of ground after being left out for Southampton game
    Jul 2004: Kevin Keegan accuses him of starting brawl in friendly at Doncaster
    Sep 2004: Given new contract
    Dec 2004: Puts lit cigar in Jamie Tandy's eye
    May 2005: Breaks leg of pedestrian while driving
    Jul 2005: Involved in alleged fight in Thai hotel bar

Nice guy eh?

B.

Ha that's news to me!
    Well this morning they were reporting that it was a fight with Richie Dunne, now they're saying it was a 15-year old Everton fan, so maybe he got into the fight and Dunne tried to break it up?

And yeah, I never thought Barton was much good either. His City days are most likely over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ha that's news to me!
    Well this morning they were reporting that it was a fight with Richie Dunne, now they're saying it was a 15-year old Everton fan, so maybe he got into the fight and Dunne tried to break it up?
    Dunne tried to calm Barton down and Barton turned on Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Its speaks volumes for a lad, having just turned 22 a couple of months, stubbing a cigar out in a youth players face. What the funk is he doing smoking cigars at 22 in the first place?

Id love if Dunne sat on him.

He is a handy enough player though in fairness to him. Ive seen him put in quite a few very solid performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

his punishment should be that hes left alone in a room with stuart pearce for 5 minutes.

Total scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Blackburn will likely come in now with a bid :)

Id love if Dunne sat on him.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Barton must be finished now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Souness or Allardyce will come in for him.

He's a bloody good player.

Culchie wrote:
    Souness or Allardyce will come in for him.
    Hehe, yeah, Souness is already after the Incredible Sulk, all he needs now is another player to start fights in the dressing room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Now it seems he has been sent home:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=293582&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Barton+sent+home&channel=football_home

I think thats the last he will be playing in a City shirt. After what happened at christmas he was told he had no more chances.. What a toe rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Hehe, yeah, Souness is already after the Incredible Sulk, all he needs now is another player to start fights in the dressing room!

Loon Army Loon Army

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

City should loan him to a GAA team for a year...see what he is like playing the 15 man game....I am sure they would knock the "attitude" out of him in no time

The Times
    Barton lunged at Dunne . . . there was blood everywhere'
    By James Ducker

Fan’s taunts spark brawl
    Culprit fined and sent home
    Team-mate hurt kicking wall

IT WAS a typically humid evening in Bangkok as the Manchester City players and management staff headed out for a team meal at Baan Kanittha, a plush Thai restaurant. Danny Mills and Stephen Jordan were in particularly high spirits after spending the day on the island of Phuket coaching more than 300 young children who had been so horribly affected by the tsunami that wreaked death and destruction across South-East Asia on December 26 last year.

It had been a moving experience for all involved, not least for Mills and Jordan, who had been bowled over by the courage and resilience of the children, many of whom had lost their parents in a disaster that claimed more than 200,000 lives. As they sat down to eat, they felt proud. Proud that they had touched so many children’s lives. Proud of the remarkable healing power of football. It had been a day that they would never forget.

Little did they and the rest of the people at that table know that the next few hours would also be unforgettable, but for the wrong reasons. A day that had shown football in all its glory would end with one player dragging the sport back into the gutter.

Richard Dunne and Joey Barton had chatted away over the course of the dinner, as good friends do. They were happy to be in Thailand and were looking forward to the start of the new Barclays Premiership season.

After dinner had finished, Stuart Pearce, the City manager, had given Barton and Dunne permission to enjoy some free time because neither was scheduled to play today against Everton in the FA Premier League Asia Trophy, a quadrangular tournament also featuring Bolton Wanderers and the Thailand Under-23 team.

How Pearce, a bright, witty, engaging man and a promising young manager, must be regretting that decision.

While some players headed off and did their own thing, Barton and Dunne decided to return to the Radisson Hotel, where they and the rest of the squad were staying, for a few drinks. The Blackie Sports Pub is on the lower lobby floor of the hotel, an unspectacular but friendly drinking hole.

Barton and Dunne had been there for a few hours by the time I arrived, at about 1.30am local time yesterday. I had been busy filing that day’s stories to the sports desk in London in the hours before and decided to have a nightcap before I went to bed.

Both players appeared to be merry and quietly enjoying themselves with a few members of City’s backroom staff and a group of Everton fans who had travelled independently to watch their team compete in the Asia Trophy. It was a reassuring, harmonious scene — supporters warmly engaging with players from an opposing club. That would all change in a few ugly, violent minutes.

Barton had been amicably chatting to a young Everton fan, but soon it became apparent that the 15-year-old, cheeky as so many teenagers are, had apparently overstepped the mark and was goading the player. Rather than walking away, as he should have done, Barton became embroiled in a slanging match, at which point the teenager appeared to kick out, catching the player on a shin.

Incensed, Barton seemed to lose control, slapping the boy hard across the face in a reprehensible moment of madness. No one could believe what they had seen, but Barton was not finished. With the boy screaming obscenities at him, the player, his face contorted with rage, raced over and began squaring up to the youngster. “I’m going to f*** you up,” Barton barked incessantly at the boy, who by now cut a terrified figure.

Enter Dunne. Appalled by his team-mate’s actions, the Ireland defender walked up and attempted to calm Barton and take him to his room. Dunne, once the bad boy of the City team, has been a reformed character recently and was desperate to defuse the situation.

But Barton was having none of it. As Dunne went to grab him and march him back to his room, Barton lunged at his team-mate and sent both of them crashing to the marble-tiled floor. The bang made me wince.

Barton then appeared to sink his teeth into one of Dunne’s fingers. The defender emerged from the mêlée clutching his hand, blood dripping everywhere. Dunne was shouting “he’s f******* bitten me, he’s f******* bitten me. I can’t believe it.” By now, others were wading in to try to break up a brawl that would not have looked out of place in a bar in the old Wild West.

Barton was dragged across another side of the room, at which point an older, plump, grey-haired Everton supporter put the player in a headlock and began hitting him on the head as glasses and beer bottles were sent flying over the blood-soaked floor.
    Breaking free, Barton tried to launch himself at Dunne. He was held back by a Premier League press officer, who had just arrived on the scene after an evening out.

To make matters worse, Dunne kicked a wall in anger and is suspected to have broken a bone in a foot. He had gone out for a quiet drink but ended up being embarrassed in the most unimaginable way by his team-mate.

“Why is this happening? Joey, Joey,” he kept shouting. With the help of a couple of others, I held Dunne back, my T-shirt getting splattered with his blood as we urgently handed him tissues. This tug-of-war carried on for about ten minutes before Barton was hauled into a lift and taken straight to his room. Others at the scene pleaded with shocked hotel staff not to call the police.

Dunne returned to a friend’s room a little later, tears in his eyes, an emotional wreck. It was a truly sad sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mental Man City player who is a savage and a very good ball winner and "fiery"....

Man Utds next signing?

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:
    The Times
    Barton lunged at Dunne . . . there was blood everywhere'
    By James Ducker

Fan’s taunts spark brawl
    Culprit fined and sent home
    Team-mate hurt kicking wall

IT WAS a typically humid evening in Bangkok as the Manchester City players and management staff headed out for a team meal at Baan Kanittha, a plush Thai restaurant. Danny Mills and Stephen Jordan were in particularly high spirits after spending the day on the island of Phuket coaching more than 300 young children who had been so horribly affected by the tsunami that wreaked death and destruction across South-East Asia on December 26 last year.

It had been a moving experience for all involved, not least for Mills and Jordan, who had been bowled over by the courage and resilience of the children, many of whom had lost their parents in a disaster that claimed more than 200,000 lives. As they sat down to eat, they felt proud. Proud that they had touched so many children’s lives. Proud of the remarkable healing power of football. It had been a day that they would never forget.

Little did they and the rest of the people at that table know that the next few hours would also be unforgettable, but for the wrong reasons. A day that had shown football in all its glory would end with one player dragging the sport back into the gutter.

Richard Dunne and Joey Barton had chatted away over the course of the dinner, as good friends do. They were happy to be in Thailand and were looking forward to the start of the new Barclays Premiership season.

After dinner had finished, Stuart Pearce, the City manager, had given Barton and Dunne permission to enjoy some free time because neither was scheduled to play today against Everton in the FA Premier League Asia Trophy, a quadrangular tournament also featuring Bolton Wanderers and the Thailand Under-23 team.

How Pearce, a bright, witty, engaging man and a promising young manager, must be regretting that decision.

While some players headed off and did their own thing, Barton and Dunne decided to return to the Radisson Hotel, where they and the rest of the squad were staying, for a few drinks. The Blackie Sports Pub is on the lower lobby floor of the hotel, an unspectacular but friendly drinking hole.

Barton and Dunne had been there for a few hours by the time I arrived, at about 1.30am local time yesterday. I had been busy filing that day’s stories to the sports desk in London in the hours before and decided to have a nightcap before I went to bed.

Both players appeared to be merry and quietly enjoying themselves with a few members of City’s backroom staff and a group of Everton fans who had travelled independently to watch their team compete in the Asia Trophy. It was a reassuring, harmonious scene — supporters warmly engaging with players from an opposing club. That would all change in a few ugly, violent minutes.

Barton had been amicably chatting to a young Everton fan, but soon it became apparent that the 15-year-old, cheeky as so many teenagers are, had apparently overstepped the mark and was goading the player. Rather than walking away, as he should have done, Barton became embroiled in a slanging match, at which point the teenager appeared to kick out, catching the player on a shin.

Incensed, Barton seemed to lose control, slapping the boy hard across the face in a reprehensible moment of madness. No one could believe what they had seen, but Barton was not finished. With the boy screaming obscenities at him, the player, his face contorted with rage, raced over and began squaring up to the youngster. “I’m going to f*** you up,” Barton barked incessantly at the boy, who by now cut a terrified figure.

Enter Dunne. Appalled by his team-mate’s actions, the Ireland defender walked up and attempted to calm Barton and take him to his room. Dunne, once the bad boy of the City team, has been a reformed character recently and was desperate to defuse the situation.

But Barton was having none of it. As Dunne went to grab him and march him back to his room, Barton lunged at his team-mate and sent both of them crashing to the marble-tiled floor. The bang made me wince.

Barton then appeared to sink his teeth into one of Dunne’s fingers. The defender emerged from the mêlée clutching his hand, blood dripping everywhere. Dunne was shouting “he’s f******* bitten me, he’s f******* bitten me. I can’t believe it.” By now, others were wading in to try to break up a brawl that would not have looked out of place in a bar in the old Wild West.

Barton was dragged across another side of the room, at which point an older, plump, grey-haired Everton supporter put the player in a headlock and began hitting him on the head as glasses and beer bottles were sent flying over the blood-soaked floor.
    Breaking free, Barton tried to launch himself at Dunne. He was held back by a Premier League press officer, who had just arrived on the scene after an evening out.

To make matters worse, Dunne kicked a wall in anger and is suspected to have broken a bone in a foot. He had gone out for a quiet drink but ended up being embarrassed in the most unimaginable way by his team-mate.

“Why is this happening? Joey, Joey,” he kept shouting. With the help of a couple of others, I held Dunne back, my T-shirt getting splattered with his blood as we urgently handed him tissues. This tug-of-war carried on for about ten minutes before Barton was hauled into a lift and taken straight to his room. Others at the scene pleaded with shocked hotel staff not to call the police.

Dunne returned to a friend’s room a little later, tears in his eyes, an emotional wreck. It was a truly sad sight.
    A bit sensationalist to be honest. There is a good article in the Irish Independant about the incident.

• Advertisement

A bit sensationalist to be honest. There is a good article in the Irish Independant about the incident.
    here it is:
    http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1438308

Its basically just a summary of what the first hand witness (ie. the Times journalist) wrote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

his punishment should be that hes left alone in a room with stuart pearce for 5 minutes.

Nice idea but Britain abolished the death penalty in the 1960's

eirebhoy wrote:
    Its basically just a summary of what the first hand witness (ie. the Times journalist) wrote.
    I understand, I just think he is fairly liberal on his use of adjectives. He also seems to have a deep understanding of everyones psyche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Barton is a complete toerag, and very probably an alcoholic. I bought Esquire magazine to read a feature about Kasabian, and guess who was at the gig? Joey Barton, lagered up and shouting abuse at everyone in sight, invites himself back to the band party in the hotel, abuses everyone there, and passes out. Hero. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i thought i heard on the news that bartons brother is being questioned by liverpool police in relation to the murder of a black man. messed up family

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well the murder happend in Huyton were Barton is from so it could well be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Footballer's brother linked to axe attack
    8.35AM, Tue Aug 2 2005
    Police hunting the killers of teenager Anthony Walker want to speak to the brother of Premiership footballer Joey Barton. Detectives said they were trying to trace 18-year old Michael Barton and 20-year-old Paul Taylor.

Both are from the Huyton district of Liverpool and it thought the pair may have fled to Holland after the Anthony's killing.

The popular A-level student died in a brutal attack after being racially abused by a group of men.

He was left with an axe embedded in his skull in the "vicious and unprovoked" assault in a park near his home in Huyton.

Police named Barton and Taylor as after arresting two men aged 26 and 29 in connection with the murder.

A 17-year-old remains in custody and an 18-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of murder has been released on police bail.

Anthony's sister Dominique made a tearful appeal to bring his killers to justice, saying: "If anybody knows anything, they have got to talk to the police.

"Talk to them because we need the information. I need to find out who did this to my brother."
    Source

Advertisement