Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Lynch

• 22-07-2005 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Do ya love him, hate him, know who he is?!

I think he is a fantastic director, my favourite being his series Twin peaks, but i love his other movies also.

whats ur opinions on him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

Wasnt a huge fan of Wild At Heart, but Twin Peaks, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive i love, cant wait for his new film INLAND EMPIRE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Brilliant.

Lost Highway is probably my favourite.

With the exception of Dune, I love all his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Don't forget about Blue Velvet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Straight Story and Elephant man are great too. Mr. lynch knows how to rip out your heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

what was lost highway about?

watched it one morning when hungover and didn't have thinking cap on at the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I like his work very much - all that I've seen so far, at least. I didn't enjoy Eraserhead all that much, though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

simu wrote:
    I didn't enjoy Eraserhead all that much, though.

It was very atmospheric, but there wasn't really enough there to justify the weirdness that seems to be Lynch's trademark.

I haven't seen that many of his films, but they're good for a bit of confusion, which I think is lacking in much of today's films. I like the way his work is generally open-ended and open to interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I like him, but I don't have as much of his work on DVD as I'd like. Blue Velvet, Dune and The Straight Story are on my 'To Do' list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

He r0x ... Blue Velvet is one of the great american movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Didn't like Lost Highway as I thought he was trying to hard to confuse the audience.I loved Wild At Heart,it's one of my favourite films.But its that sort of film you either love it or hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I just purchased the first season of Twin Peaks on DVD! :)

I watched it sporadically at some point in the past but I'll get to see it properly now and comment about it here. Should be good!

simu wrote:
    I just purchased the first season of Twin Peaks on DVD! :)

I watched it sporadically at some point in the past but I'll get to see it properly now and comment about it here. Should be good!

the first series is great and dale cooper is my hero.
    the second series (which i REALLY hope they release on dvd) is heartbreaking. :( but unbelievably fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I've seen everything do date and have to say loved and enjoyed it all.

He did his best with Dune considering the special effect of the day and the fact
    it was a sweeping story. Parts of that are still staggering in terms of cinematics
    and imprinting the visual of Frank Herberts work.

Twinpeaks still stands as a wonderful, twisted head trip and at the time
    dealt with topics what were not seen or scripted for on TV networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

I think the only film of his I saw was Eraserhead, what a piece of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

I've seen Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, Straight Story and Mulholland Dr. I love them all. Eraserhead is great, so diff to everything else. You don't really have to make sense of it, just enjoy the atmosphere and everything.

I don't want to see Dune though, I'm afraid it'll put me off him.

I've seen Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, Straight Story and Mulholland Dr. I love them all. Eraserhead is great, so diff to everything else. You don't really have to make sense of it, just enjoy the atmosphere and everything.

yeh, i havent seen Dune either. you should watch twin peaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭rideordie

I loved Blue Velvet it was great but Mullholland Dr...now that I din't get..the thing with the blue keys :confused: confusing..gotta see he's other stuff too..I've heard that Dune was quite boring..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

captain P wrote:
    yeh, i havent seen Dune either. you should watch twin peaks

Yup, I wanna see it. Oh! I've seen Lost Highway too. Forgot about that. I liked that too. Leaves ya feeling weird. Eraser is one of the most disturbing I've ever seen, that baby... BV is pretty horrible too. Frank, hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randomhuman

Yeah, dune put me off him a bit. It should have been a fairly straightforward scifi, and the way he made it so weird makes you wonder if he's actually capable of anything else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

As I said, Dune is his worst in my view, not really representative of him as a director, although I have only seen it once and might be prepared to give it another chance. Everything else is brill.

Lost Highway - who needs drugs, this film will mess with your mind big time (in a nice way, though it may not be for everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randomhuman

Lost Highway - who needs drugs, this film will mess with your mind big time (in a nice way, though it may not be for everyone :)

Yeah, lost highway is good. I come up with a new interpretation every time I watch it :) Blue velvet is my fav though, because it's challenging, but not exhausting.

Advertisement