Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing water leaks in showers

Options
  • 22-07-2005 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm about to tile a shower. Has anyone any tips with regard to tiling the bottom row of tiles in order to reduce the risk of leaks. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

saphire wrote:
    I'm about to tile a shower. Has anyone any tips with regard to tiling the bottom row of tiles in order to reduce the risk of leaks. Thanks
    get one of those beadings (ceramic) that go around the bottom edge and fill in the small gap between it & the wall & shower with silicon. Also looks v. professional.

Not sure if the correct word is beading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

If you have the dosh, a professional fibre glass seal - only takes a day and the professional breathes in all the nasty smells, not you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Lex Luthor wrote:
    get one of those beadings (ceramic) that go around the bottom edge and fill in the small gap between it & the wall & shower with silicon. Also looks v. professional.

Not sure if the correct word is beading

I'm not sure of the name either :) it doesn't matter if you are using a ceramic bead or the plastic one, make double sure the silicone sealer you use is especially for bathrooms.

Silicone is one of the most abused products in all areas of construction, each tube has a purpose the general purpose is not suitable for bathrooms or kitchens because it goes mouldy and is impossible to clean.

Have fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

mix a bit of polybond into the adhesive + grout, tile as normal. then use some santary silicone sealant around the edge's, this contains a fugicide which prevents mould etc. it isn't exspenive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭saphire

Thanks Guys I'll take your comments on board.
    Now off to do the tiling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

rooferPete wrote:
    it doesn't matter if you are using a ceramic bead or the plastic one
    Pete, you're right it doesn't matter of the material, but I have the plastic one fitted by a tiler in my main bathroom and a ceramic one in my ensuite that I bought myself and the ceramic looks 100 times better and cleaner

Advertisement