Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROUTER DHCP help

Options
  • 22-07-2005 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

i have set up DHCP with windows 2000 server so the the client gets a dynamic ip address and it works but when i add routers the client cannnot pick up the servers dynamic ip address

the router has serial interfaces fastethernet interface and rip setup
    it works when i have manually configure the ip address on server and client eg i can ping ipadresss and serial and fastethernet

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Sounds like the router is set up to serve DHCP also. This needs to be disabled. If you provide the make & model of the router, then we might be able to suggest how to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

cisco 1700 series

:( Would be a cisco, for my sins.

Think that
    no service dhcp

from config mode, is the command used to disable the dhcp server.

Do a
    show conf

just to see that the "service dhcp" line is present already, as I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

i did it on both routers and it didnt work i could ping each router and fastethernet interface and serial interface so it should be set up right

OK.

How about installing ethereal on one of your machines. (Not a server)
    Set it to capture data in promiscous mode.

Start recording:

on your windows client (a different machine)
    Disable the network interface (right click/ disable)
    Re-enable the network interface

Stop the ethereal recording.

Look for a full DHCP transaction as in attached pic.
    Smudged out bits are your dhcp servers IP, 0.0.0.0 is client without IP. on a small quiet net, the next transmit will probably be your client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Has the router ethernet interface got an IP Address that is not excluded from the pool of addresses assignrd by the Windows server.

CAn you copy the running config of the router into the post.

Router> enable
    Router# show running

This will display the running config. Press space to go to next screen of config.

Advertisement