Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up Eircom wireless broadband with a mac?

• 22-07-2005 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi. I've searched the forum here for info on this. Just wondering is there anyone out there using an Eircom wireless broadband connection with a Mac, and if so, what their setup is.

I have the Eircom Wireless BB product which works fine with my PC laptop running WinXP Pro. I have a G4 Powerbook running OSX (10.3.8) and am having problems connecting it wirelessly. I can connect it via ethernet but really I need it to work wirelessly.

I'm currently trying to use a D-Link Airplus 'Xtreme G' 802.11g card with a shareware driver from orangeware.com. The card does work with the mac, I've connected to other (unsecure) wireless networks with it before.

But connecting to my secure network at home is proving difficult. I can see the signal and connect but it won't let me out. OSX doesn't seem to recognise the card as an internet gateway.

Any ideas on whether an Airport card (not Airport Extreme, my PowerBook is a G4 Gigabit Ethernet TiBook so isn't AE compatible) will work with the Netopia Wireless Router?

Eircom have a section in their broadband support about Mac broadband setup but this doesn't cover a wireless connection, and certainly not via an obscure wireless card and even more obscure driver for it.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Manhog wrote:
    Hi. I've searched the forum here for info on this. Just wondering is there anyone out there using an Eircom wireless broadband connection with a Mac, and if so, what their setup is.

I have the Eircom Wireless BB product which works fine with my PC laptop running WinXP Pro. I have a G4 Powerbook running OSX (10.3.8) and am having problems connecting it wirelessly. I can connect it via ethernet but really I need it to work wirelessly.

I'm currently trying to use a D-Link Airplus 'Xtreme G' 802.11g card with a shareware driver from orangeware.com. The card does work with the mac, I've connected to other (unsecure) wireless networks with it before.

But connecting to my secure network at home is proving difficult. I can see the signal and connect but it won't let me out. OSX doesn't seem to recognise the card as an internet gateway.

Any ideas on whether an Airport card (not Airport Extreme, my PowerBook is a G4 Gigabit Ethernet TiBook so isn't AE compatible) will work with the Netopia Wireless Router?

Eircom have a section in their broadband support about Mac broadband setup but this doesn't cover a wireless connection, and certainly not via an obscure wireless card and even more obscure driver for it.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

If you have WPA enabled on your network the card wont work. An airport card will work with wpa but I understand they are quite difficult to get now.
    If you disable the security on the eircom router will the card connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manhog

dub45 wrote:
    If you have WPA enabled on your network the card wont work. An airport card will work with wpa but I understand they are quite difficult to get now.
    If you disable the security on the eircom router will the card connect?

The network is WEP enabled rather than WPA as I understand it.

The card doesn't seem to connect to even open networks now.

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread in future, what I am going to do is purchase Mac OSX Tiger (10.4) along with either this card from Komplett (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301534&cks=PLC) or else an imported Airport card from ebay. They are expensive now - around the EUR115 mark.

Advertisement