Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

they dont look that good (my opinion) wait for smart or ntl

aint in my area yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

they dont look that good (my opinion) wait for smart or ntl

aint in my area yet :(

100 Euro for conection you must be mad !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hmmm,

6 month minimum contract but you have to give 3 months notice after the 6 months, if you want to cancel. Seems like a 9 month contract to me, rather than 6.

Not quite right, me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I wouldn't even consider them to be honest. They appear to just be a bunch of cowboys who I reckon will go bankrupt before too long! Their "hidden" charges such as the router rental is a joke and a transfer fee of €99 if you already have DSL is almost extortionate!

I wouldn't even consider them to be honest. They appear to just be a bunch of cowboys who I reckon will go bankrupt before too long! Their "hidden" charges such as the router rental is a joke and a transfer fee of €99 if you already have DSL is almost extortionate!

yup the word cowboys is written all over thier poackages, why do so many companies wanna ride us !! :-(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

stay with UTV , I would not touch these scummy chancers with their 9 month contract .

When they launched they said on this page (since revised) that the contract was 'not 12 months' and that you could give '30 days notice' . Seemed like minimum one month but further in the site it said 6 months (6 months with the option to give 30 days notice 30 days before the 6 months was up) = 6 months .

Now they pretend that a 9 month contract is a 6 month contract . Shysters .

Avoid them and tell everyone else to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

There was a discussion on this here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280675

odie wrote:

theres is one here too :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I wouldn't even let Imag!ne pay me to switch to their service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Its rebranded Eircom Time. Possibly slightly cheaper if you can decrypt the costing strategy with tariffs, but with second generation tech support (i.e. they have to call an eircom person to handle your issues).

Just run away - their less-than-honest advertising makes me very suspicious, and I suspect the T&A handing out cash is the only value you will get from them.

They have done this exact thing before with their mobile operation - repackaged eircell at merchant rates, and competed with eircell.

It doesn't sound like something that will last, and ultimately it is eircom that will determine their value proposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

sharingan wrote:

They have done this exact thing before with their mobile operation - repackaged eircell at merchant rates, and competed with eircell.

How is this different from an MVNO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I am not impressed by Imag!ne and their current broadband offers(?)...enough said!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

Before anybody suspects otherwise, let me declare that I do NOT work for Imagine and am not related to the company either. ;)

But...I am a bit surprised about the discussion here!

There is a company who enters the market with the attempt to provide lower prices for broadband services than others. This company has some strange Ts&Cs, but seems to sort itself out. The service is not yet ideal, but - in my opinion - as another competitive service has the potential to put more price pressure on others and can be turned into a postive offering.

Is it extremely competitive? No, not yet. Is the company well known? It depends, they haven't sponsored too many football teams yet and only seem to start now with media advertisement, but they are active for a while. Do they have a chance to make it? As least as much as Smart, but maybe they even have a better chance.

At this point there is plenty room for improvement and plenty of fumbles and awkwardness, but nothing has gone wrong yet.

I think this discussion is good and if dublinmonk is a Imagine person and if as a consequence from this discussion Imagine is sorting out their Ts&Cs, then this forum has achieved something.

But why in god's name are most contributers here shooting down EVERYTHING about the offer and about the company??

Where is the supportive hesitation? Nobody expects you to sign up if things are not right and you should complain about things being wrong, but is a company a cowboy outfit if they start slightly wrong and are prepared to imrpove? Are they idiots because they come up with a clever marketing idea? Are they bad because the products don't hit the expectations that you have of a broadband product??

I would currently NOT order Imagine broadband for a number of reasons, but, hey, if they improve in the coming days and weeks, then let's look at it again.

If companies don't try what Imagine is doing, we would not have any competition to Eircom, in fact, we wouldn't even have an Eircom Broadband product!!! Only pressure from as many brave and daring companies can improve the products and the prices. But these brave and daring companies sometimes need a bit of help or a kick in the back side or some pointers how to do a better job! Shooting them down before a grace period for improvements hasn't passed does not help ANYBODY.

--Hornet

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hornet wrote:
    There is a company who enters the market with the attempt to provide lower prices for broadband services than others.
    People with a bit of cop aren't looking for cheap broadband, they're looking for cost-effective broadband, which is entirely different.
    This company has some strange Ts&Cs, but seems to sort itself out. The service is not yet ideal, but - in my opinion - as another competitive service has the potential to put more price pressure on others and can be turned into a postive offering.
    Beh? Sort itself out? What does that mean?
    Is it extremely competitive? No, not yet. Is the company well known? It depends, they haven't sponsored too many football teams yet and only seem to start now with media advertisement, but they are active for a while. Do they have a chance to make it? As least as much as Smart, but maybe they even have a better chance.
    Which has what to do with their substandard product, cowboy marketing, and hidden charges?
    At this point there is plenty room for improvement and plenty of fumbles and awkwardness, but nothing has gone wrong yet.
    I'd say the reaction thusfar from boards.ie has shown it to be a step in the wrong direction. They wouldn't have even gotten on to the market had Eircom not released the abomination that is Broadband Time.
    I think this discussion is good and if dublinmonk is a Imagine person and if as a consequence from this discussion Imagine is sorting out their Ts&Cs, then this forum has achieved something.

But why in god's name are most contributers here shooting down EVERYTHING about the offer and about the company??
    I think the reasons have been fairly well highlighted, but I did briefly mention them in what I've written above.
    Where is the supportive hesitation? Nobody expects you to sign up if things are not right and you should complain about things being wrong, but is a company a cowboy outfit if they start slightly wrong and are prepared to imrpove?
    Improve? You mean fix the errors on their T&C page? I hope correcting where a decimal place was mistyped doesn't pass for an improvement in service these days.
    Are they idiots because they come up with a clever marketing idea?
    No, it was a novel approach to marketing the product, but "marketing technique" and "service provision" are two completely seperate things.
    Are they bad because the products don't hit the expectations that you have of a broadband product??
    Erm, yes? A broadband product should most certainly not have time restrictions. This is just glorified dialup.
    I would currently NOT order Imagine broadband for a number of reasons, but, hey, if they improve in the coming days and weeks, then let's look at it again.

If companies don't try what Imagine is doing, we would not have any competition to Eircom, in fact, we wouldn't even have an Eircom Broadband product!!! Only pressure from as many brave and daring companies can improve the products and the prices. But these brave and daring companies sometimes need a bit of help or a kick in the back side or some pointers how to do a better job! Shooting them down before a grace period for improvements hasn't passed does not help ANYBODY.
    Apparently you haven't been around to see people supporting up and coming broadband companies over the last couple of years only to get shafted.

You will learn cynicism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Nothing special!! They are going to have to do a lot better to compete with Smart & BT.. €44 a month plus modem rental,crap 16 gb cap.. & telling you you WILL be charged if you go over.....NO THANK YOU!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

generally a step forward is applauded and a step backward not

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Surely any reputable Company will be very careful about its Terms and Conditions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats Imagines problems and will always be their problem in my eye. The T&Cs were misleading and devious to start with and are crap at the moment and as for the future I dont want to know what the sting is.

I simply don't want this kind of operator in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

You can give the 3 months notice 3 months before your contract is up. It's bull**** I know. But UTV told me I have to give 1 months notice as well (although BT told me they can't hold me to that when I applied for the switch over)

This seems like an OK offer to me, although I agree its nowhere near what the Irish market needs right now. If you don't take the router then its just €19.99 and you get the same package as BT are offering. This is the second best package out there IMO, BT with line rental being the first. This is definitely a step in the right direction. their T&C's are a bit hefty but would you rather have to give 3 months notice or pay €10 extra a month and have no tech support as with UTV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Just heard a rumor that Imagine may be buying out Netsource..

Thought might be worth throwing in here to see if anyone else has heard about this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Gegerty wrote:
    You can give the 3 months notice 3 months before your contract is up. It's bull**** I know. But UTV told me I have to give 1 months notice as well (although BT told me they can't hold me to that when I applied for the switch over)

This seems like an OK offer to me, although I agree its nowhere near what the Irish market needs right now. If you don't take the router then its just €19.99 and you get the same package as BT are offering. This is the second best package out there IMO, BT with line rental being the first. This is definitely a step in the right direction. their T&C's are a bit hefty but would you rather have to give 3 months notice or pay €10 extra a month and have no tech support as with UTV?

In fairness to UTV it is clearly stated in their T&C's that after the initial contract is completed that a month's notice is required and this was the same for virtually all bb contracts until fairly recently. It is wrong to say that UTV have no tech support - it is equally fair to say that they have apparently not been up to much recently - but it is usually possible to get most issues sorted throught the UTV support news group and I doubt if any isp has anyone as oblging as Carl who usually ends up dealing with those issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Hornet wrote:
    Before anybody suspects otherwise, let me declare that I do NOT work for Imagine and am not related to the company either. ;)

But...I am a bit surprised about the discussion here!

Where is the supportive hesitation?

If they were providing a decent basic service cheaply it would be fine. Instead they base their internet product on the most dubiously valued and confusing product out there, confusing it even further, put the supposedly cheap price in big font, and bury all of the tarrifs and additional costs under obscure, dangerously costly and misleading Ts & Cs.

Intentionally vague services, designed to confuse first time customers, like eircom time whose rental price does not reflect their true cost, and Imagine On Demand which muddies the waters even further, are not needed by the Irish broadband market.

The Irish broadband market needs simple, easy to assess services, favourable T&Cs to first time adopters and a spread of offerings to address the people who just want a faster surfing experience, those who need good tech support, those who want high QoS/ good pings, those who are heavy traffic users, and a price/value spread to match. You know, just like other countries which have cheap and accessible broadband products for first time adopters, and more expensive ones for heavy users. More importantly, it also needs products that can be easily adopted: 30 day trial periods, 6 month or 3 month contracts, relaxed connection costs, non-urban products and products that are convenient to non-homeowners/tenants.

Hence much of the negativity - there are enough cowboys in the irish market, hiding the true costs of their service under vague T&Cs and bullish marketing.

Advertisement