Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany To Get Fast (almost 2Mbit) 3G Data access shortly.

Options
  • 22-07-2005 1:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Not content with their pretty much uncapped 3G data services ( up to 384k) from Vodafone for €52 a month the Germans are getting really fast data services over 3G early next year.

This 2nd Generationish 3G Mobile Data is called HSDPA and will allow your mobile/datacard to download at up to 1.8Mbit T Mobile, mentioned as an outside possible for the last Irish 3g licence, will be rolling it out in (very) early 2006.

Story On The Reg

In Ireland Comreg only want the 3G carriers to provide 144k using the same technology until about 2007 when they will have to supply 384k in the big towns . I believe that Voda already launched their 3G data services at up to 384k though .

In Germany , and elsewhere, however there are no such restrictions or smallmindedness .
    In the future, speeds will gradually be increased to 7.2 megabits per second,

and
    Canadian company Sierra Wireless is reporting high orders for its HSDPA cards. Among the countries in Europe planning to introduce HSPDA are Austria and France.

Another fine mess , what are we supposed to be keeping up with again ? Mongolia is it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

2mbit is only available when in close proximity to a pico cell, i.e. 50 metres or so.. It was part of the original design spec for UMTS.
    Not content with their pretty much uncapped 3G data services ( up to 384k) from Vodafone for €52 a month the Germans are getting really fast data services over 3G early next year.

There is no uncapped service in Germany with Vodafone. It has a limit of 5 gigabytes. I read this on Zdnet during the week but am unable to find the article now. The article centered around what Vodafone are doing to compete with VoIP..
    In Ireland Comreg only want the 3G carriers to provide 144k using the same technology until about 2007 when they will have to supply 384k in the big towns . I believe that Voda already launched their 3G data services at up to 384k though .

Regardless of what Comreg expect, I have witnessed many people getting the full 384K from their 3G data cards and I have got it nearly everytime I have used it from my mobile and laptop for nearly 18 months now.

The 7mbs/sec is will only be possible after the networks have been upgraded to HSDPA and then some.... If it is happening in Vodafone Germany, UK and Italy, it will be happening here at the same time. Remember they launched Live and 3G at one go across most of their markets in Europe..

Is this thread just an excuse to berate everything that we have here in Ireland?

The only thing I can find that is unlimited is the browsing of the Live Portal until the end of Novemeber on a particular tariff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

for so its 5Gb for? €52 a month, when is Vodafone Ireland launching this package and what will it cost , €99 for 1Gb probably :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

The only thing I can find that is unlimited is ..
    I am neither a vodafone user here nor in Germany.
    From comparing the vodafone offers for data transfer in Germany and Ireland (provided I do it right??) there seems to be a significant difference in pricing:
    On the German vodafone site http://www.vodafone.de/tarife_vertraege/daten/54019.html under the heading "vodafone volume"
    it shows prices for data volumes (you don't need German to understand the list. MWST = VAT) and they seem to be only between 1/10th to 1/3rd of the Irish pricing from this page: http://www.vodafone.ie/soho/price/dataroaming/3ggprsplans/index.jsp

For example:
    Vodafone charges its Irish customers €9 for 3Mb of data, while the German vodafone customer is charged €8.50 for 30 Mb of data.

The smallest difference is at € 60 for 500 Mb of data in Germany and € 199 for the same amount of data in Ireland.

If my reading of the tables is correct isn't that an amazing difference?

The mobile operators keep telling us that they do not price higher in the Irish market, but that the Irish are simply using the services more and longer.
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

There's a pretty big discrepancy between VF Ireland and VF UK as well, but not as big as that. I don't understand what they're thinking as they will get SFA uptake with that pricing. Unfortunately 3 aren't going to compete in the data market (or so I've been told) so VF will continue to be the only proper 3G provider until O2 gets i-mode up and running and starts to roll out 3G as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Ireland is a cash cow...because we simply cant manage our money!!!

When I was in Germany money management was a very important aspect of daily life and there would have been hell to pay if something had falsely inflated prices.

Vodafone Irl is and has always been the most PROFITABLE part of the Vodafone group simple because we are too &^%&^ to demand better prices.....kids in a sweetshop comes to mind.....we dont care how much it costs as long as we can get it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

as i have said before vodafone ireland will get more competitive databundles as soon as they have finished getting their network congestion sorted which is in its latter stages afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

thy have about 30000 punters, explain congested please :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Data prices from Vodafone are a goddamn disgrace. I accessed the Liverpool website last weekend to find out the result of the friendly against Leverkusen. 500 odd Kilobytes I ended up downloading. €10.50 it cost me. I'm sorry, but that's a fcuking disgrace. They are gouging us for all they can get 'cause they know they can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

spongebob wrote:
    thy have about 30000 punters, explain congested please :)

2million at last release congestion explained (keeping in mind that the vodafone network is a Layered network)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

not on 3g spectrum they dont

Advertisement