Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Antec Laptop Cooler

• 22-07-2005 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

I was looking at this.. http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004

my laptop keeps stuttering, i think its down to the cooling not being good enough on its own, so is this antec cool thingy worth investing in??

any of you lads got one?? is it worth 40 quid?

Cheers,

Vinny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

How old is it? Spec and what programs you running?
    Did you google this and see if it was a cmmon problem with your make of lappie?
    Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

toshiba A25, couldnt find anything on google about it being a common problem, soundsl ike a cooling problem cause when its unplugged (ie. fan is on low power) it happens more often. it really annoys me when its playing mp3's, i ge tihs stuttering effect, wrecks the head. to be honest, its just a guess that its the cooling!

model : TOSHIBA SATELLITE A25-S3072 Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

A fan that sits under the laptop? Sounds like a bit of hassle.

Has this always been the case or is it a recent issue?

Well for Dells you can get free sw that allows you to control the fan speed (diefer.de). Maybe similar exists for the toshiba. (At your own risk)

Laptop Bios updates often fine tune the fan controls, worth a try (in a cold room).

There's the option of overriding XPs speedstep control to slow down the CPU
    http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html.

I'll be replacing an old cracked heatsink compound on an old Dell laptop in the next week with an "arctic silver" goop. I'll post the old compound/new compound temps if that approach isn't unacceptable to you, or some overclockers don't beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Bit more than a week, sorry

Replaced compound on laptop heatsink. Laptop is much slower to switch on fans, and fans find it far easier to cool the CPU heatsink.

1 fan running on slow can keep laptop at 40 at low load and on 100% load, 2 fans running at low speed keep the laptop in mid 60s , whereas with stock dell compound would have fans at full and running around 90 with full CPU load.

The Dell compound seems to age badly also, given the way their laptop fans appear to run faster and faster as the machine ages. May be the same for toshiba branded machines.

So if opening the laptop and lifting the heatsink/pipe off the CPU doesn't trouble you I'd recommend it. Caveat, on my machine it's easy, yours mightn't be.

Advertisement