Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggest a car for me!

Options
  • 22-07-2005 2:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've decided to get a car to learn to drive in, in my own free time, rather than just rely on paying for a driving instructor. I'm 23.

I'm looking to spend about £1000-£1300 (€1500-€1800 or so).
    I'm looking for a small engine to keep the insurance down (about 1.3ltr). also something kinda sporty - I just don't want to feel like I'm driving a metal box around.
    Anyway, main thing is trying to keep the cost of insurance down, I've had a quote of £1300 for a 5 year old 1.3ltr yr2000 Peugeot 306, which is fair enough for me.

Any suggestions as to what car I should go for?
    By the way, I hate modding or souping-up cars, with spoilers and all the rest, so none of that now...

Cheers,
    S.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

Learn to drive, please, before you get your own car.

Ireland has too many novice drivers on the road who don't know how to drive, without adding to that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

You should probably look at getting a lexus RX 400h then. Its a 3.3 litre so insurance should be relatively cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Ireland has too many novice drivers on the road who don't know how to drive, without adding to that number.

The man is talking in pounds so one could safely assume he intends on driving somewhere in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Didn't think there was a 1.3L 306!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

prospect wrote:
    Didn't think there was a 1.3L 306!

Eek, sorry 1.8ltr I think - I was just looking at 1.3ltr cars there before making the post :-)
    Rodney Trotter, I'm going to be stay off any busy roads until I'm competent enough, plus I'm in the north. but don't worry, I can drive ok now, so a few more lessons and I'll be grand.

Now, any help?
    S.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

WTF?

Why can't he learn to drive in his own car? He's going to be on the road anyway he might as well be driving his own car he might take more care with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Ford Fesita 1.25 not 1.3, its what your looking forward.

I have complained alot about Northern Drivers, I have a good reason too, but for you driving lessons are there for a reason you know, this "learning to drive in your own time" is bull. How do you if your doing it right.

Get yourself along to an advanced driving course when you think your fit for the open roads and wait till you see the mistakes you make but dont even realise it.

I done an Advanced drivign course down here in the south and i had a full license and i thought i was a good driver who was very aware, but the instructor said i was techincally good but i had habit to do silly little things which could kill someone if not carefull.

I went away from the course a more aware and skillful driver, so take it from me lessons are not a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

WTF?

Why can't he learn to drive in his own car? He's going to be on the road anyway he might as well be driving his own car he might take more care with it.

Because with a driving instructor, he'd be told how to drive (and dual controls are good too) -- not just let loose to kill the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

sinecurea wrote:
    Eek, sorry 1.8ltr I think - I was just looking at 1.3ltr cars there before making the post :-)
    Rodney Trotter, I'm going to be stay off any busy roads until I'm competent enough, plus I'm in the north. but don't worry, I can drive ok now, so a few more lessons and I'll be grand.

Now, any help?
    S.
    You got a quote for approx €1,500 on a 1.8 on a prov licence at 23! That is not fair it's so cheap.....my first year insurance I paid €2,300 on a 1.4 with a full licence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Can heartily recommend a Nissan Micra as a starter car for reliability and price.

If you are safe and get the basics right before you go out on your own then of course you should get a car! Don't mind the gloom merchant who obviously never had to learn to drive and was obviously born with the ability. Probably the type who bangs his car-horn at beginners who stall in front of him.

Good Luck

RJ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Exactly Rubens!
    Because with a driving instructor, he'd be told how to drive (and dual controls are good too) -- not just let loose to kill the rest of us.
    He didn't say he was going to teach himself to drive...
    I've decided to get a car to learn to drive in, in my own free time, rather than just rely on paying for a driving instructor. I'm 23.
    Everyone needs a car to practice in in between lessons. There aren't many that didn't borrow their mothers/fathers car to practice hill-starts and three point turns when they were learning to drive.

The OP is 23 - I think you can all loosen up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Oh Boy!

Fiat Punto Sporting 1.25l. Had one for 4 years & 160,000 miles, never gave a days bother! Looks good and the insurance is cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Alot of people here get their arms up in the air over learner drivers going out on their own on the roads. Is there any proof out there that this category of drivers cause a good degree of the accidents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'd advise a Punto as well, you are fairly lucky being up North because you have a better selection, at least of engines to choose from. The Bravo was an underrated car as well imo. You culd pick up a pristine example of either that would be within your budget. Big advocate of Fiats here, great small car makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ShockBlast RX8

You should go on any road you can Legaly Drive on you have to make your own mistakes & People Rember we were all L Drivers at one time I still am & I still make little **** ups but you gota take the bull by the Horn's em first time car cheap Inc Skoda Felica Or Fabia there decent not a bad Motor & a good Price. Seat Ibitza other good choice & Ofcorse The VW Polo ok I like anyting VW own but there all good choices any small Toyota would do ya well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ShockBlast RX8

Rubens wrote:
    Can heartily recommend a Nissan Micra as a starter car for reliability and price.

If you are safe and get the basics right before you go out on your own then of course you should get a car! Don't mind the gloom merchant who obviously never had to learn to drive and was obviously born with the ability. Probably the type who bangs his car-horn at beginners who stall in front of him.

Good Luck

RJ

Yeah Thats True some people dont relise they used to Lern Once so stop in front of em & make them more mad unless there a big ass Trucker with 50 bellys they get that car going before he manages to get off his seat & has a go at you. and rember Taxi Drivers dont just own the road

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fletch wrote:
    You got a quote for approx €1,500 on a 1.8 on a prov licence at 23! That is not fair it's so cheap.....my first year insurance I paid €2,300 on a 1.4 with a full licence!

I think that is GB£1500 as the person is up in NI so that works out at around €900. Not too many 1.0 cars about up there as tax, insurance are alot cheaper than down here.

To answer the OP I would go with the Fiesta 1.25 suggestion. Get one from the mid to late 1990s so that if you have a few bumps and scrapes at least it will not be the end of the world. I have seen a few first time drivers buying brand new cars and putting dents and scrapes in them after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pontovic wrote:
    Alot of people here get their arms up in the air over learner drivers going out on their own on the roads. Is there any proof out there that this category of drivers cause a good degree of the accidents ?

17-25 drivers, mostly male, are the highest risk and do cause the most accidents. Pretty sure you'll find a few learners in that group.
    With a learner even they don't know what they are going to do next.

OP should splash the cash on lessons. He'll pass faster and be a better driver for it. I passed first time.

As regards a car Micra or Punto are good starters or even a Fiesta. All easy to drive and more importantly small cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

First, I agree with all the people who advise you to get lots of lessons. Second, here is some less subjective car advice:

JD Power survey (well respected I think): http://www.whatcar.com/News_SpecialReport.asp?NA_ID=214562

BBC Top Gear survey (OK it's old): http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/prog16/survey_137.shtml

Good luck with the learning and every time somebody blows the horn at you, think about what you may have done wrong & how to do it better next time.

Best wishes

Reesy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

bazz26 wrote:
    I think that is GB£1500 as the person is up in NI so that works out at around €900.

If Carlsberg did foreign exchange... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

John R wrote:
    If Carlsberg did foreign exchange... :D

Doh! Should have been around €2k. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement