Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

importing cars from the u.s to ireland....

Options
  • 22-07-2005 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

i was reading the sticky about importing cars from the uk to ireland, but does any one have any knowlage about importing u.s cars to ireland?the whole process etc,besides the cheaper cost of cars over there,but the fact you can only buy certin models there.

all help appricated

thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do a search in the classic car section - there has been threads on importing cars from the US.

The main difference is that you have to pay VAT @ 21% on the cost of the car you bring in, as well as VRT. Cars brought in from the UK or Europe aren't subject to VAT.

Couldn't tell you about what cars you can't import though. That sounds like a dealer thing I'd imagine with a private seller there are no such restrictions.

Watcha thinkin of bringing in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You also have to pay shipping costs.

Plus these cars have large petrol engines, grand for the States where petrol is almost free but not here. Tax and insurance will also be steep and remember they are LHD.

I think also the car has to be adjusted to meet EU regulations in order to be legally driven. I.E. Most US cars have no side indicators and the rear indicators are red rather than the standard amber. Speedo will need to be converted to KPH also it is a new car.

Might not be worth the trouble in the end. What kind of car are you thinking of importing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Cavman

2005 ford mustang gt

yeah i know the insurance will be expensive etc
    but what other way can i get such a car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

It would probably be less hasal to just emmigrate there to get one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The old Mustangs were also manufactured for the Australian market, i.e. Right hand drive.. might be worth checking out if they're doing the same for this one..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

Try here...

johnmoloneyMusRed941.jpg

Jesus H. -- a 3.8l engine and a LHD! You'd have to be 60 years old and minted to insure that!

Holy Moses!

Advertisement