Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Airlines .... :)

• 22-07-2005 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

My first time flying soon - I've bought this from ebay.

Hardly the most hitech first-ever plane, but I don't care, I just wanna see what it's like :D

Are there bad points to trying to fly on a street? As in, would I be better off heading to a large park so there's no interference, or is that highly unlikely anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

That's not much of a plane, but I guess for that price you can't go wrong...

The reason we fly in fields rather than the street hasn't got much to do with interference, it's more to do with the fact that we don't enjoy crashing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Well I'm not too worried about crashing - plus if I'm in a field there are no houses around my to block the gusts of wind that'll take my newly aquired baby a few hundred feet out of range ;)

I'm really looking forward to it though - even though its not a powerful plane, it's enough to get my interest going :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Careful flying models in built up areas.
    You are financially responsible for any damage or accident caused by you or your model.
    I accept that this is not what we would call a dangerous model, it is light and not very powerful, nonetheless, if you scratch someones car, or touch their child even very gently, you are likely to have a very big problem on your hands.
    Another reason we fly in "designated flying fields" is because our insurance covers while flying there.

Good point there ... Maybe I'll venture down to St. Annes and have a play around on the main roadway thingy going through it.

But the tarmac there is so uneven (it's very old... unless it's been relaid since I was there last, a good while ago now) it'll probably only hinder me more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Fobia wrote:
    That's not much of a plane, but I guess for that price you can't go wrong...

not really:

US $45.00 Standard Int'l Flat Rate Postage Europe, Australia

No spank you!

• Advertisement

Yeah I knew it'd cost that much to post it - tis why it's so cheap to buy though.

Ah well, still can't wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NitroCruiser

Make sure you fly that plane on a really calm day.

A nice Irish wind gust and you are in the ground and those planes have a tendency to break their tail or main wings when you hit the ground.

Pity you can't get an experienced plane flier to have a go first they will at least make sure it is setup right to fly.

Good Luck,
    NC

Are you offereing your services?? :p

Ah no - I'm just gonna close my eyes and press "makeplanegonow" :D

zoro wrote:
    ...Ah no - I'm just gonna close my eyes and press "makeplanegonow" :D
    If you will, but NCs advice was good. Those kind of models are designed for a continental climate .... ie no wind at all. OTOH Ireland is one of the most windy countries in the world, so u don't need an Irish calm day for it...you need a complete dead flat calm - if u are to fly it yourself 1st time and still have it 10 mins later. :D

I'll try to keep it low enough so that its covered by trees on either side ... it's a hell of alot better than being exposed in every possible direction I suppose.

I just wish An Post would bloody hurry up :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NitroCruiser

Hi,

I am not an experienced plane flier. Most of my landings end up in a rebuild. So sorry I won't be volunteering to take the plane up on its first flight. I will probably crash it. Especially in the recent Irish windy weather.

Now if you had a Heli or Cen RC Car I could help you.

Cheers,
    NC

Get in touch when you are ready to go...
    I'm in Dublin area... others will be round the country & van get u sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Zoro, if it is not a fast model, you might consider flying it in an indoor hall/court. Here you don’t have to worry about wind or crashing into cars/people (if you’re on your own). It would have to be a relatively slow flyer though!!.

I can just see myself testing it in my house now :D

flying it around the kitchen ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

i was thinking of buying something similar (prob a bit more sturdy though). Is there anything anybody can recommend (and reasonably priced <100e) for a novice flyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

bullrunner wrote:
    i was thinking of buying something similar (prob a bit more sturdy though). Is there anything anybody can recommend (and reasonably priced <100e) for a novice flyer

No, you wont get a good trainer new for <100e..the kind plane you'd get for this is just a toy really - I would have advised the OP in this thread not to get one but he'd already bought it when he started it :)

If I were you, I'd either keep saving till you get 300/400 and get a good trainer package, or if you want to start right now you should pickup a simulator and if possible a transmitter for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Where would you get a suimulator ?
    I used to race RC cars but I'd be very keen to get myself a helicopter.

Where would you get a suimulator ?
    I used to race RC cars but I'd be very keen to get myself a helicopter.
    Lots of links here ....(General Guide Sticky)

Err ... wouldn't the heli come before the sim, seeing as you have to make it first?
    Also the sim may be very nice, but it doesn't tell you much about bolting the linkages etc together, starting the engine, fitting the RC, and a million other essential things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Well seeing as I used to build and maintain my own RC cars, I think i'll be bale to build it, but flying it may be another thing altogether !

Well, it's FINALLY here. Jesus that took a long time.

It came with 4 propellers, 2 of which are spare (one on each motor, and 2 left over)

I now have, 0 props left :D

But damn it was a good 10 mins while it lasted :D Hilarious stuff.

Trundling down my road until it finally reaches take off speed about 10 meters from me, slowly it climbs, then faster...
    At 1 meter off the ground I ease off the throttle a bit to let it level out a bit, and drop ever so slightly. Keep the 'bouncing' in the air act up a little bit longer, before I gently ease the mini-beast down to a graceful landing.

Well, how it really went was this:
    GOGOGOGOGO!
    *lifts 1 meter* ... *panic* ... *drops off throttle*

1 second later and there's a god awful WHACK as the plane dives nose first into the lovely soft concrete.
    That's one propellor gone bye-bye.

After a quick surgery, she's ready for action again, so back out I go onto the road for another go. The second attempt is a slightly more controlled one, but inevitably ended with the cockpit making friends with a telephone pole about 15 meters away from it's initial starting position.

A quick once over, and all's green for another try. And this time, I'll try to land properly.
    Walking down towards a turn in the road, I figure that if I can JUST manage to take off before the turn, I'll miss the kerb and I can safely bail onto the grass after the road (there's a field there you see).
    All goes according to plan. The take off is smooth (well, I missed the kerb by about a foot ;) ) and the flight path is straight and narrow.
    Until it turns.
    Horribly.
    Left.
    And hits a bloody tree.

That's another prop replaced. Down to my last 2 now, and they're ON the plane, so if either fails, it's game over for now :(

I decided to give it one more shot on the straight take-off ... fly for a few meters ... straight landing.
    Unfortunately, I was concentrating so hard on a smooth and controlled take off, that I completely forgot about any sort of air control and it subsequently decided that a nice wallop into the road would do it some good.

4 broken props, and I'm writing this :)
    There were other, less eventful flight tests, but ... well ... where on earth can I get replacement props? :)

I know you'll need info on the type that they are, but, well I know nothing about them.
    They're red :p
    Their blades are about an inch and a half, maybe 2 inches (so 3/4 inches in diameter)

Anyway, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

your best bet is to get someone who can fly to show you how to fly it....and also in a big green wide open field.....
    Provided its a calm day you should try nd get the plane high up, away from the ground cause thats whats killing your plane...

Hakko

Yeah I know, but I can't do anything without some propellers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

what kinda props you need? I'd say green hobby is you best bet....
    Norman should also be able to sort you out with someone to teach you how to fly...he has loads of contacts..> www.greenhobbymodel.com
    Where you from..?

Hakko

Coolock, Dublin 5, Ireland :)

*looks at site*

Well, each propellor is a clip-on prop, and almost exactly 3.75 inches (9.5cm, 95mm) in diameter.
    Where can I get a bag of 100 of them and how much would it cost? :)

Dublin 5 ... hmmm .... Have U been to the Phoenix Park yet?
    U should go.
    Not 2 far from U , lots of model flier folks there.
    Go in the Chapelizod gate, left at fork inside, up hill, round the bends and use the carpark on right as road straightens out. Walk towards the Papal Cross 2 get to the model runway. If U go on Sunday mornings there should be lots of helpers.
    Mostly bigger planes there, but they can fly and that's what U need right now.
    Hope U get over the intro "hump", cos it's great on the other side (when U can fly).
    Coolwings :)

well thanks for the kind words :)

And if I were to go to the Phoenix Park, it'd be on the numebr 10 bus. Somehow I just don't see the point in carrying an (admittedly, very light) plane from Coolock, to Town, wait for the 10, then head from Town to the Phoenix Park, all while enduring ever so strange looks from passers by ;)

Not to mention the 15 minute battery life of the damned thing. It's just not worth the hassle for just 15 mins of "take-off ... crash ... repair. repeat ad nauseum" :D

I can head down to St. Annes in Raheny and mess about there if I want to, or there are a few parks nearby that I could use. But again, all the travel, for 15 mins? Meh.

I either need a bucket of fully charged batteries, or a minor miracle. Note that I refuse to buy a petrol driven plane, I just disagree with them :) I think that electric power is the best way to be. Mind you, I have no experience with model-flying, I just dislike petrol driven engines ;)

I tend to agree about the electric bit. I have several electric planes.
    Electric suits small models, and those are generally the ones that are easiest to fly near to where U live.
    Remember that flying is a "balance thing". Very like a unicycle for example.
    Turns are hard, needs a certain speed to make them possible.
    You fall off (the bike,/crash the model) now, not on the 5th try. So a bit of help now, from one who "already has the knack" can save you from loads of frustration, and get you into the zone sooner - with the use of less glue.
    But the Phoenix is a glowfuel planes type place, if U go there, no place for a thin skin, take the (anti electric) slagging like a man, cos it's the price of getting the help.

EDIT LATER: Just had a thought .... check your frequency. Some imported internet models are on frequencies not allowed here in Ireland. If yours happens to be on 27 or 40 AM/FM you will be interfering with the model car guys in St Annes, and they will interfere with you. Maybe get your model "shot down" as a result. Check first. 35FM is the legal frequency for planes. Also do a range check before flying too.

Advertisement