Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring house alarm sensors

Options
  • 22-07-2005 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭

I was given a HKC alarm system with aritech door contacts and window shock sensors. It's being lying under the bed for the past year as I have been let down on quite a few occasions for it to be instaled.

I've started working on it myself and have found most of it pretty straightforward except for the door contact and shock sensors.

The house was prewired and I've traced each wire. It looks like there is 5 zones.

1. The front door (6 core)
    2. Downstairs front windows (4 core)
    3. Downstairs rear windows and patio door (4 core)
    4. Upstairs front windows (4 core across windows and 6 core to panel)
    5. Upstairs rear windows (6 core across windows and 4 core to panel)

The shock sensors have 6 screws for wiring. 2 in the shock part and 4 underneath it. The 2 inside ones are marked 'spare or reed'.

The door contacts have 5 screws. 3 gold and 2 silver (layout: gold, silver, gold, silver, gold).

The panel has 6 zones with 4 screws for each zone. 2 for zone and 2 for tamper.

What's the best way of wiring up the contacts and shock sensors.

Many thanks
    Darren

P.S. The keypad and outdoor bell housing are connected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

DarrenG wrote:
    I was given a HKC alarm system with aritech door contacts and window shock sensors. It's being lying under the bed for the past year as I have been let down on quite a few occasions for it to be instaled.

I've started working on it myself and have found most of it pretty straightforward except for the door contact and shock sensors.

The house was prewired and I've traced each wire. It looks like there is 5 zones.

1. The front door (6 core)
    2. Downstairs front windows (4 core)
    3. Downstairs rear windows and patio door (4 core)
    4. Upstairs front windows (4 core across windows and 6 core to panel)
    5. Upstairs rear windows (6 core across windows and 4 core to panel)

The shock sensors have 6 screws for wiring. 2 in the shock part and 4 underneath it. The 2 inside ones are marked 'spare or reed'.

The door contacts have 5 screws. 3 gold and 2 silver (layout: gold, silver, gold, silver, gold).

The panel has 6 zones with 4 screws for each zone. 2 for zone and 2 for tamper.

What's the best way of wiring up the contacts and shock sensors.

Many thanks
    Darren

P.S. The keypad and outdoor bell housing are connected.
    Darren,
    I wouldn't bother wiring in the tamper as it's just extra grief.
    If you leave out the tamper, then 2 wires for each sensor (contact or shock is sufficient)
    The door contacts are set up as follows:
    5 terminals - 2 silver/3 gold
    the 2 silver are what you need to wire to. The 3 gold are dumb terminals in case you need them.

Shock sensor - 6 terminals. You will wire to the 2 terminals in the shock part for the shock application. The 2 terminals marked 'spare or reed' are for just that. In the Aritech shock sensors, you have the option to buy an additional magnet that can be used like a typical contact sensor. SO in effect, the shock sensor can have dual monitoring, shock & contact. The other 2 terminals are spare if you need them.

Any other questions, let me know.
    I'm not familiar with the HKC alarm box however and what way you need to wire up the sensors but I assume all alarms work on the same principal.
    Wire up the sensors in series for each zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Thanks for that. That would make it a lot easier it I leave out the tamper circuit.

Just two more questions that have sprung up :p

1. The internal echo/flash box. There is 4 terminals on this. 2 for tamper and 2 for echo. There is nothing on the panel for echo but there is 2 terminals for an internal bell which I've wired to the strobe on the external bell. Do I run 2 wires from echo/flash box to the internal bell terminals on the panel as well?

2. I have contacts for the shock sensors but the windows are not flush with the frame and therefore the contacts would not be flush with the sensors. Can you get taller contacts or should I just shim them up?

Many thanks
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

DarrenG wrote:
    Thanks for that. That would make it a lot easier it I leave out the tamper circuit.

Just two more questions that have sprung up :p

1. The internal echo/flash box. There is 4 terminals on this. 2 for tamper and 2 for echo. There is nothing on the panel for echo but there is 2 terminals for an internal bell which I've wired to the strobe on the external bell. Do I run 2 wires from echo/flash box to the internal bell terminals on the panel as well?

2. I have contacts for the shock sensors but the windows are not flush with the frame and therefore the contacts would not be flush with the sensors. Can you get taller contacts or should I just shim them up?

Many thanks
    Darren
    Q1. The 2 terminals on the panel for internal bell, should go to internal bell. I can see why you put them to the strobe on ext bell, but there should be a separate pair of terminals for that. Like I said, not familiar with HKC, so can't comment. As long as the panel can supply enough current to drive both the strobe & internal bell from those pair of terminals, it would be ok.

Q2. The windows don't have to be flush for the contacts to work. I have noticed that the magnet can be almost 15-20mm away from the sensor and still have enough magnetic field to hold the sensor closed. If you have a multimeter, you can check across the contacts and see how far away the magnet would be before losing the contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Thanks again.

There is nothing for stobe on the panel so I'll try as suggested. I have shock sensors for all windows so I'll get everything wired up and will check with a multimeter for contacts. I can decide then if I want to include them on the system as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

The strobe and the internal siren go on the same connection - internal bell on panel

• Advertisement
Advertisement