Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

basic wireless network requirements

• 22-07-2005 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i'm buying a notebook with wireless 80211.g built in.i currently have a pc with dial-up and a usb printer.i want wireless printing and dial-up on the laptop around the house .do i just need a wireless network card for the pc or additional equipment thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

depends what u have, as regards internet access u will need broadband. ur best idea if u have broadband is to get a wireless router for ur modem which will give ur pc access and the laptop will wirelessly connect to the router. u gota use a router to talk between the pc and laptop thou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You JUST need a wireless adapter for the desktop PC and the know-how to share your printer and internet connection accross the network.

The PC connected to the internet/printer will need to be on all the time though.

If they're both running XP that will make things about a 100 times easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I'm trying to do this as well, but would like it done so that the printer is standalone on the (wireless) network. In other words, I can access the printer from whichever computer is on at the time. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

You could also get a extra wireless nic for the desktop - attach a print server - set the desktop and laptop in adhoc mode -
    But you will need to leave the desktop on for the internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

sorry for the delay but i just moved house and got the phone switched on.aldi are doing a adsl/dial up router/modem wireless thing.would this be easy for a network newbie to setup for dialup(no broadband here) or is it simplest to put a nic in the desktop for adhoc mode.how much settig up is involved for these two methods?

• Advertisement

Can you have a wireless 'dial-up' connection? I don't think so :confused: Can anyone else confirm. ASAIK you need a BB connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi ButtermilkJack

Abbrevs first:
    DUC (Dial Up connection)
    ICS (internet Connection Sharing).
    NIC (network interface card)
    PCI (Peripheral component interconnect)
    DHCP (Dynamic Host configuration protocol) (gives out IP addresses)
    DNS (Domain name service)
    NAT (Network Address Translation)
    AP (Access point)

Yes, you can have a wireless DUC connection. It's called ICS.

All you need is a wireless PCI NIC in your desktop. Share the DUC. This will give the wireless NIC an IP of 192.168.0.1, enable DHCP on it, enable NAT.

After you configure your PCI NIC with SSID, WEP security keys (most important), channel etc etc, you can connect to the wireless network with the laptop. The laptop must be setup identical to the desktop wireless wise to connect. To obtain an IP, default gateway and DNS automatically, you must have TCP/IP properties set to 'Obtain an IP automatically'

After that, do a few ping tests and then try the internet.

By putting the wireless NIC into the desktop, you have created yourself a router. Not a configurable router, but good enough for the home. I share my Irish BroadBand connection this way with my wireless laptop. Works well.

But, there is nothing to stop you from expanding this into using a switch for more desktop machines and adding an AP whcih will allow other wireless enabled PC to connect.

Hope this helps,
    Dara.

WOW. You learn something new every day. I never though you could share a dial-up connection. Oh well :D Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

thanks for the info everybody

Advertisement