Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CombatZone

• 22-07-2005 4:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Myself and a group of about 20 of us are planning to go to Combat Zone around August. Im traveling up from Waterford City and iv got a good few discounts for the train and buses.

Anyone ever been to CombatZone? Any comments or suggestions on what not/to bring?!

All comments appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

hey,ok

I was there a few months ago and it was brill :)
    my mates and i organaised about 20 to go there.

The pellets are god damn sore if ya get in the side or near the joints!!! good fun!
    the only thing that stopped us a bit was that 20 if us wasn't enough as this place is big and some of the courses are for around 30 ppl! the more ppl the more craic.

as for prices it varies ,they do deals for groups too.
    I think its 20 euro per person for the day and worth it, but bring extra money. They give a 100 pellets included in the price for getting in .but if you want to get extra pellets if you run out of them , most of us did :D they cost around 5/10 euro to get another 100. most of them last to the end depending how crazy you are!!

They give you helmets and clothestuffs etc free.bring a towel in just case and a another top if you get really gored in paint!, make sure you bring a change of sneakers or boots as they are not covered (naturally enough) and will get covered in paint and occaisionally muck! i'd say thats about it.

if u asked me to get there , all I can say is.....
    its in the middle of now where!!!!
    if

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

The directions are in the "stuff to do in Limerick" forum... it should be stickied!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks guys. Apparently if I want extra pellets I have to order in advance :/ And I really am not sure if we would use extra pellets or not! The group rate we are getting is for students. I got a deal on the train up and bus down which is good. The private bus is €5 return (bringing us from Limerick to CombatZone and back again).

Does the game normally start exactly at like 2pm? How long to get ready and stuff? We are planning on staying till about 9 (finished at 5) - any ideas if there will be places to eat / shops etc open around that time? Going up on a Monday.

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

u defo dont have to buy paintballs in advance. its a great day out for everyone - bring extra runners - you will ruin the ones you play in believe me. I used to work there, its hard enough to find but as far as I know you sound like you're getting the combatzone bus.

have a great day - i'm sure you will

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

u defo dont have to buy paintballs in advance. its a great day out for everyone - bring extra runners - you will ruin the ones you play in believe me. I used to work there, its hard enough to find but as far as I know you sound like you're getting the combatzone bus.

have a great day - i'm sure you will

Im just going on what im being told by the woman on the phone - apparently I have to pay €20 deposit in advance. Ya im getting the CombatZone bus - €5 return. Erm, does anybody know if you have lung problems - does that have any efect on it? Ma is panicking like mad - could of sworn she read it somewhere.

My lung collapsed a few times and I got an operation on it. Got the all clear now, but just in case :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Save your paintballs on the first game, they purposely try to get you to use up all your pellets in the first game, so you have to fork out for more (and they are expensive as far as i remember).

Also, those paintballs sting like F**K!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I went with work last summer it was a great laugh but yeah, they do hurt, I got hit in the ear once and I couldn't hear properly for about 5 minutes. you'll be wrecked after it. I ended up buying about 2 or 3 more rounds at 10euro a pop - even if you say to yourself you're gonna save them in the heat of the battle you'll end up firing loads of them. I remember in one of the games a load of us just charged over the trenches World War One style and all got mowed down - not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Just my two cents worth. Wear plently of layers of clothing. It absorbs the sting. Would even go as far as to say two pairs of tracksuit pants. That way it all fits into the boiler suit that they give you. Good luck and enjoy your day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Super Mario

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is there much point in 5 people going to Combat Zone . I was hoping that we would be matched up with other people on the day (I haven't booked anything yet as I want to make sure we can have a good match).

Oh, and bring plenty of spare socks for the "reproduction area", you don't get padding. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

God no! they say at least 20 , if you want to do all the courses
    i just can't see them giving special time for just 5 ppl ! :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A group of 6 or so went to the one in limerick, we were teamed up there with a busload of other people. If you have a small group they'll just move you in with anoter group. We were all shattered afterwards. Running a diving in the woods for a few hours is hard work! Thighs were killing me after. Could barely walk downstairs after!

As for your lung, if you're allowed to play any sport you'll be fine. It's only as strenuous as you want it to be. You don't have to order extra pellets in advance, but you will buy extra! I would recommend hiking boots or something similar. Friend of mine lost a shoe and later a sock in the mud during a charge!

Got shot in the head a few times, would seriously put you off ever enlisting in a real war. Too easy to get killed!

Layers is a good idea, but it's easy to get overheated because of the full face mask you wear.

They give you overalls to wear, but you'll be sitting in puddles shooting at people and loving it, so a full change of clothes isn't a bad idea.

A cap or bandana or something is what i'd bring next time. The glancing shots on the head sting! :D

Oh, mind yourself id you're driving there yourself, the road is narrow, twisty, and sometimes a bit slick with mud, as the guy a few cars ahead of me found out to his cost on the way home. Slid into an oncoming car on a turn.

Indeed, the road up there is terrible. Its a lot more out of the way than you'd think.

Thanks guys :) Just wrapping up costs and numbers and stuff.

Getting the bus home (privated hired one) for €21 a head. Combat Zone bus is €5 a head.

Just have to figure out how much the train is!

Advertisement