Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest gaming dissapiontment of this year (so far)

Options
  • 22-07-2005 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

I would have to say for me its been the PSP, the games so far have been a huge disapointment, DS games are looking much more interesting atm. It says a lot when you end up playing emulated SNES games all the time rather then actual PSP games

Also Everquest 2 was a big disapointment, roll on xbox360 or PS3 I need something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't really bought a bad game this year.

I played a good bit of Ridge Racer on the PSPand was very disappointed by it. It still handles like it did in the arcades in 1994. Since I was a God at that game I easily blitzed through it. Extremely disappointing. Racing games have come so much further. The control system was far too easy. I had fun playing it but it just wasn't anything special.

Mario 64 DS was another big disappointment. The dodgy controls meant that is just wasn't as much fun as the N64 game even when you didn't use the touch pad. Also the ghost bug stopped me from getting 150 stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BloodNinjaCult

Gizzard wrote:
    I would have to say for me its been the PSP

I don't agree. The PSP is a beautiful machine and PSP Ridge Racer is amazing imo. My Biggest disappointment so far this year would have to be the lack of NDS games on the market. Thankfully this looks to change over christmas but it's a shame that such an excellent machine hasn't had alot to show it off so long after launch. As for an actual game, mmmmmm, pariah sucked, MoH:EA was terrible, another code was boring and as sad as it sounds(well I do love my FPS's) goldeneye DS sucked the big one, I should have known but I held out hope for a good handheld FSP until I booted the pile of -blam!- up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

the psp for me has turned out to be a utter shambles
    seems like sony put no time into it and expected everyone to buy it just because they had there name on it
    I have enjoyed my DS but as the guy before me said it has a lack of games at the moment but thankfully they have a lot of games coming over the next couple months that look awsome
    Mario kart ONLINE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Lack of anything on the DS so far. The fact that the games getting the most attention are all franchises(Mario's Zelda's, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i was hugely let bown by GT4, it was hyped as the ultimate blah de blah yet even the simple things in the game just made it very well unfinished, for example when racing n rally mode you see the flames from the engine misfire but the noise and tome of the engine doesn't change and anyone that had heard a rally car before knows the difference in sound. i also found the handling slow and unresponsive as if the tyres just didn't warm up at all throughout the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My biggest letdown of the year is the fact that Metroid Prime Hunters hasn't come out yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Pariah...i never heard anything about it until i "imported" it but it was the biggest load of sh!te i ever saw in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Pariah...i never heard anything about it until i "imported" it but it was the biggest load of sh!te i ever saw in my life

I downloaded the demo thinking it would be fun but wat a pile of crap it was.:mad:The guns are not even fun to shoot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PSP was initally eye popping but soon lost its lustre as 90% of the games are things done better on the consoles.
    Wipeout pure was irritating, was the series always this hard? Played Wipeout2097 and its much better.
    Ridge Racers brilliant but I have all the various incarnations of it already, a greatest hits of the series is unnecessary in my case and while I like Mercury, I already own 2 Monkey Ball games that does it all, so much better.

Thought GT4 was a big hairy waste of time too, who wants real world physics and handling if all the cars do when they collide is bounce off of each other with a dull thunk. Honestly you would think Project Gotham 2 never happened. Automotive Pokemon, thats all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My biggest letdown of the year is the fact that Metroid Prime Hunters hasn't come out yet!
    That and the fact that it looks like it's mainly going to be some sort of Deathmatch game.

I wanted was very impressed with how the control system worked and and was really hoping for a proper Metroid Prime style single player mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I was actually disappointed by San Andreas, which I thought was not enough of a step forward from Vice City (well, GTA 3 to be honest), I think Rockstar are taking the piss basically releasing the same game engine three times with mods attached each version.
    I agree about Everquest 2 totally, was looking forward to it big time and BAM it's so boring to frickin play.
    I was pleasantly surprised by Red Dead Revolver though, didn't expect much and was entertained no end by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

True laguna but that's pretty much the potential of the ps2. I think they should have made more of an effort to make the pc version better but why should they when it stills sells. The next in the series should be a big leap in terms of graphics and physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

the psp hasnt really shown its true capabilities yet, and with the european launch near, games will be released alot more and good ones too, gta, socom etc. and with v2.0 firmware next week with a television capabilty it looks like things can only get better for sonys handheld

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

will people go for the new firmware though if it locks out homebrew applications?

on topic, I was very disappointed with SM 64 ds, it looked pretty but the controls were just too finicky I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just found one today. The mega man annoversary collection for the GBA has been delayed yet again and is now being made a DS title. The reason is that the muppets at capcom have lost the source code to all the games :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Pretor

Disappointed in the fact the ds doesnt have any proper strategy game-cant wait for advance wars:dual strike
    It also doesn have any gud fps,rogue agent and splinter cell 3 sucked-too slow only the metroid hunters demo was a gud fps...... but it was a demo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

When I heard that they were making Metroid Pinball. Metroid Pinball, FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

disappointed int he fact halo 2 hasnt been released on pc yet (yes, i was one of the 4 people who actually enjoyed the story and singleplayer). It would be nice to see it on the pc and not have all the horrible pop up in the cut scenes and crap that marred the xbox version

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Halo 2 wasn't that good anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

I tend to forget about the big disappointments so I'm having difficulty thinking of one right now. I'm sure I'll remember later, or someone will mention a game I was really looking forward to that ended up sucking.

koneko wrote:
    Halo 2 wasn't that good anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

I tend to forget about the big disappointments so I'm having difficulty thinking of one right now. I'm sure I'll remember later, or someone will mention a game I was really looking forward to that ended up sucking.

Aye i know it wasnt anything amazing, but i really liked the story, thought the arbiter was one of the best characters id seen in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

halflife 2 from the prison onwards, repetitive crap. its like they ran out of ideas.

Resident Evil 4...........just kidding that game fcking rocked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

:mad: Halo2 cant be considered a game as it is really only have a game.
    they took the piss with the ending on it.
    Think they watched the Matrix sequel and thought it was a good idea to split it into 2.
    was very angry with the fact they did this because they new the ending will be a launch game for xbox360.

They lost a lot of fans with this stunt.

But a bigger disapointment is the No show of StarCraft:Ghost??????
    wat is the deal with this?

And the no show of the transformers mod for battle field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

GTA: San Andreas on the PS2.
    What a joke. We all know how many units it sold but in fairness, it really sucks lemon flavoured eggs. I dont think its any fault of Rockstar's tbh, its just Sony need to get their ps3 out there asap.
    I was one of the sad people who bought a slimline PS2 and GTA:SA when it was released. I played it for about 2-3 hours. Sold it then. pfft. :mad:
    Thank Christ its finally out for the PC. There are some wicked mods out there too. An I am really really enjoying the game at the moment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Halo2, bar the fact it has LIVE it not even CLOSE to how excellent halo combat evolved was, bungie made it too "n0ob friendly" and watered down the skill needed to play massivly (ie. no skill at all) still, a good game, but with an amazing game like halo1, its terrible in comparsion.

jaggeh wrote:
    halflife 2 from the prison onwards, repetitive crap. its like they ran out of ideas.

Resident Evil 4...........just kidding that game fcking rocked :P
    dunno how you can say half life 2 got repetitive and then say RE4 was great. I mean i love both those games, but after an hour of re4 youd seen almost all it had to offer, there really isnt much variation in the gameplay at all. dont get me wrong, it did kick arse, but if hl2 is repetitive, then re4 is the king of repetition

Halo 2 and HL 2 were also released last year.

I don't know how people can like the Halo 2 story if they have played past the cameo of the plant from little shop of horrors.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Halo 2 and HL 2 were also released last year.

I don't know how people can like the Halo 2 story if they have played past the cameo of the plant from little shop of horrors.
    i kept expecting him to burst into song...but he never did :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Halo 3 better be out pretty quickly on the 360 or there will be hell to pay!
    I'm sure as hell not playing thru the second one again to try and recap on the plot so far, I mean Halo 2 took all of 4 days to complete, where am I going to get that sort of time, unless they do a flashback at the start, maybe an old Master Chief sitting in some Sin City style bar, talking the ear off some ex-covenant trooper, telling him how he was there and this is what happened! Wonder if he gets Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, I can see it now, Master Chief getting panic attacks and wetting the bed, chuckle chuckle!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Halo sucks balls and Pariah was the crackwhore snorting the jizz off the table afterwards. Move on, there are better games out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

biggest gaming disappointment: lack of games for DS. Its clearly a better gaming concole than the PSP but due to the lack of games for it I've been playing Hot Shots Golf on the PSP since I bought it and haven't looked at the DS. Why release a console and not release any games??????? Ninty what are you doing????

Haven't bought any bad games this year. That said I've played some carp ones but I wasn't expecting them to be good anyway. (second sight is dire)

Advertisement