Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest gaming dissapiontment of this year (so far)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I know it was released last year, but it only really pissed me off this year; the PSP's lack of a second 'analogue' stick.

Without it FPS's and a whole load of PS2 titles will just feel wrong(and some that I've played already do.)

Upcoming stuff like GTA and PES5 don't even bear thinking about.:(

Otherwise it's been a cracking year for games imo(except the whole FIFAStreet and NFSU2 side of it all:D) with some high profile games impressing me more than I expected them to(MGS3+DMC3+RE4 I'm looking at you) and stuff like GodofWar and Killer7 and a whole load of GBA/DS delights and portable WipeOut that fixed ALL THAT WENT WRONG with the last couple of Wipeouts. And there's way more to mention too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

dearg_doom wrote:
    I know it was released last year, but it only really pissed me off this year; the PSP's lack of a second 'analogue' stick.

Without it FPS's and a whole load of PS2 titles will just feel wrong(and some that I've played already do.)

Upcoming stuff like GTA and PES5 don't even bear thinking about.:(

Otherwise it's been a cracking year for games imo(except the whole FIFAStreet and NFSU2 side of it all:D) with some high profile games impressing me more than I expected them to(MGS3+DMC3+RE4 I'm looking at you) and stuff like GodofWar and Killer7 and a whole load of GBA/DS delights and portable WipeOut that fixed ALL THAT WENT WRONG with the last couple of Wipeouts. And there's way more to mention too...
    Do you use the second analogue stick for Pes??. I do agree with you though that it would have been nice to have the option. I gen only use it for FPS and driving games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

HL2's best moments were from the Prison level onwards. The second last level, fighting through the ruins of City 17, was brilliantly immersive, even if the squad AI was quite annoying. And I loved the super gravity gun.

Anyway, my biggest disappointment was "Pirates!". Maybe I missed something, but all the reviews for this said it was brilliant, addictive, excellent gameplay etc.

I dunno, maybe I missed the parts in the reviews where they clarify the game is actually meant for preteens or people with severe Attention Deficit Disorder, but I found the game exxxxxxxxtremely boring after about two hours. After that amount of time i'd seen everything the game had to offer. I had the best available ship after about 30 minutes of play. I'd rescued all my family members. I'd found numerous hidden Aztec temples from fragments of treasure maps. I'd married a governers daughter and become a bloody expert dancer. I'd attacked and captured numerous ports and handed them over to my chosen patrons. I'd hunted down and killed the same measely 5 or 6 named pirates again and again and again and again and again and........BAH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Branoic wrote:
    Anyway, my biggest disappointment was "Pirates!". Maybe I missed something, but all the reviews for this said it was brilliant, addictive, excellent gameplay etc.

I dunno, maybe I missed the parts in the reviews where they clarify the game is actually meant for preteens or people with severe Attention Deficit Disorder, but I found the game exxxxxxxxtremely boring after about two hours. After that amount of time i'd seen everything the game had to offer. I had the best available ship after about 30 minutes of play. I'd rescued all my family members. I'd found numerous hidden Aztec temples from fragments of treasure maps. I'd married a governers daughter and become a bloody expert dancer. I'd attacked and captured numerous ports and handed them over to my chosen patrons. I'd hunted down and killed the same measely 5 or 6 named pirates again and again and again and again and again and........BAH!!!
    agreed. the game was sh!t. Exact same game as the one i had on the atari ST 10 years ago, only with better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah i agree with you on pirates, loved it for the firsd day of playing it, but then i had nearly everything done, so i just gave up on it

other disappointments
    halo2, as previously mentioned
    DS, as previously stated
    half life2 for how short it was
    gta san andreas
    • radio stations not being as good (nothing can beat vice city) and the miniscule amount of fernando
    • horrible slow down & pop up
    • annoying middle missions in the countryside, where if you died you had to spend 20 mins walking to find a vehicle then another 10 mins driving to the mission start point
    • the tricky chaingun mission when you buy the rc shop
    destroy all humans, i wanted it to be good, not repetitive and have red blood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

life in general is just full of disappointments :(

i though brothers in arms wud b better or atleast on par wit CoD
    i just couldnt stand the rubbish aim! like they must have assumed all the gun sights were off or something? or maybe the fact that it was out on the xbox and ps2 too had an effect and made a tactical shooter more of a arcade shoorter with bad aim in an attempt to draw out shoot outs
    still nice visuals and some wat of a storyline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

conker live and reloaded was a bit of a disappointment. it is good but really not as great as it should have been especially with the delays.

Resident Evil 4 also. biggest load of poo ever. they need more resi games like outbreak. PLAYSTATION IS TEH WIN!!!! ;) (resi 4 is actually the real "win")

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Playing Boiling Point and realising that if they had done it properly it would have been one of the greatest games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Don't know how anyone could have thought HL2 was repetitive. The game is ****ing ace and that's all there is to say. before and after the prison.
    As for too short. It's an fps and the only reason it seems to short is because you end up(at least I did) playing it constantly because it's so good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Conkers was a load of crap to be honest. The N64 game is terrible after you get over the swearing and is wildly over rated. The xbox game is a slightly tweaked (not for the better) version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

knights of the old republic 2 was **** and was the gameworld equivalent of windows update[loved kotor1 you"re gonna love kotor2 with added no ending]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

biggest dissapointment for me this year is the Nintendo DS, I nearly bought one but thankfully did not, there isnt one single game on it that appeals to me, crap graphics, limited choice of games altho there looks to be some good stuff on the horizon so hopefully this will improve next year.

Halo 2 had very average single player element but the Online Live multiplayer makes up for it in spades, its fantastic and has recently been improved further with new patchs and 9 new maps which are all better than the original ones.

As mentioned above, KOTOR 2 was very poor compared to the original also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

biggest disappointment was that my wife doesn't enjoy Winning Eleven 8, and there are no other 2-player opponents in this wretched country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Biggest disappointment was that there wasn't nearly enough abuse thrown around in the whole my console is going to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy better than yours because it has more of these, but dont ask me what they are anyway it just has more!!!!

Lets bring back some good oul PS3 -v- Xbox 360 banter... (obviously im kidding)

Seriously PSP, what a steaming pile of horse ****. Anyone who bought and is delighted with it needs some serious help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Nintendo DS .. hands down biggest disappointment ... played Mario 64 for a bit, but it just feels wrong and since then it has simply been my new GBA with lit screen. Haven't even bothered looking in Game in the last few months for new DS games ... they all look crap .. might by Yoshi T&G if I can be arsed, but it is really just a novelty game as far as i can see ... all the others are nice ideas but no way are they worth 45 euro

I really don't get what Nintendo were thinking iwth the stylus .. i mean it is a nice idea, but did anyone at Big N actually think how the f**k are we going to actually use this in games ... it doesn't work for 3D shooters as well as a simple analog stick would have done, and we are still waiting for game that would, such as adventure or strategy games, which you would have thought would have been blindingly obvious to Nintendo. Instead it looks like they have no clue how the stylus would/should be used.

Waiting for the new games to finally be released over here, like Electroplantion etc ... hopefully the DS is turn around, but a the moment it is quite amazing it hasn't gone the way of the console dodo .. i mean the Jaguar had a larger selection of AAA games FFS!!!

Looking forward to the PSP .. while the DS has been struggling to get any game that gets more than 85% review, the PSP has had a load of them, Ridge Racer, WipeOut etc ... should be very good, if very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think a lot of people share the same view on the ds. Ninty just haven't backed the handheld up at all and seem content to rest on their laurels from the GB & GBA. Seriously, what game has been released that since the release date that has made you want to hand over €45. There's nothing out there mo other than mario and wario and even then, wario lasts about 10 mins and you've finished the thing and mario was never one of my favs to begin with. That said, mario kart, meteos and metroid are on their way and the one thing that I think will launch the ds over here will be advance wars. Can't wait.

As regards the PSP, I would agree that the class of games are better than the DS but I honestly see myself having more fun with my DS than with my PSP. Metoes looks fantastic and strategy sims would be perfect for the dtylus. I think the stylus will turn out to be an ungenious idea and will win the race for ninty. The PSP however shoul dnot be seen as a handheld gaming machine, its so much more and I'd buy it alone for the fact that I now have the entire 1st season of family guy on mine. Who can beat that??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

danniemcq wrote:
    i was hugely let bown by GT4, it was hyped as the ultimate blah de blah yet even the simple things in the game just made it very well unfinished, for example when racing n rally mode you see the flames from the engine misfire but the noise and tome of the engine doesn't change and anyone that had heard a rally car before knows the difference in sound. i also found the handling slow and unresponsive as if the tyres just didn't warm up at all throughout the race.

Same for me. Huge disappointment. Played it for around 2 days before bringing it back.
    After *so* much hype and all... terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Should try Forza Motorsport, 10 times the game GT4 is...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sid Mieir's Pirates on the Xbox. More than any other game, I've been looking forward to this because it's the update of my favourite game ever - Pirates! Gold. However, it's just a graphical tart up with some tedious dancing sections and fundamentally broken stealth bits, it's not even as good as the 15 year old Amiga version.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

knights of the old republic 2 was **** and was the gameworld equivalent of windows update[loved kotor1 you"re gonna love kotor2 with added no ending]

It would be up there alright. Would have been a classic if they had been given the three months they needed to finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

if a game has alot of hype its rare if ever they really live up to wat u wanted...
    like even hl2 was brillant but all the hype going wit it? u wud have though it was going to b jesus in a game :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I can't wait for X-Men legends 2 for the PSP and GTA for the PSP. How cool would it be to play online with tons of people? BOTH GAMES ARE ONLINE! Too cool.
    The games will get better over time.

WAIT AND THEY WILL COME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Biggest disappointment for me was the awkward camera angles and lack of netplay in Snake Eater. Thankfully Subsistence looks set to sort both those out.
    And Destroy All Humans tired very quickly.

Advertisement