Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard gone?

Options
  • 22-07-2005 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

right got my amd64 upgrade today, installed all components just the basics for a fresh build, cdrom HDD, and video card (6600GT)
    so i put it all together in an antistatic area and then powered up but all that happens is that FF displays on the digit display and the fans on the northbridge and the cpu just spin for less than a second, my power supply is a 300w, could it be this?

i have disconnected all other things like hdd, cd usb2 connectors its just a basic power in, video card and power button connected.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well ive tested the board to the extremes and found that with the amd 64 out of the socket the mobo stays powered up with FF on the 2 digit display, im not sure now whether the cpu is faulty or do i need a powerfull powersupply?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

What model is the mainboard? & 300w doesnt sound great for that setup.

its an epox 9NDA3J, i had a feeling that the PSU might be at fault, since its not a good make and id have a 6600GT running of it aswell, so any ideas on a good PSU to get and should 450w cover it.

Sparky_S, have a look here loads of people with the same problems click

I would say it is your power supply not being able to provide the surge current required at startup(this is the most stressful time for a psu).

I'm sure someone here can recommend a range of psu's you could look at. I would recommend 450->500W to keep that beast in juice.

paddy wrote:
    Sparky_S, have a look here loads of people with the same problems click

I would say it is your power supply not being able to provide the surge current required at startup(this is the most stressful time for a psu).

I'm sure someone here can recommend a range of psu's you could look at. I would recommend 450->500W to keep that beast in juice.

Cheers paddy, for a while i thought i may have to send back the mobo and or cpu, thanks again.

• Advertisement

You still might, a short on your board will give the exact same type of failure mode. Check your power rails for very low resistance values as inevitably some brand new products are Defective On Arrival. But on a positive note, I would say it is your psu.

ive ordered an Antec NEO480GB to see if this helps, tbh my current psu was from a white box and done ok for a socket A amd but i think it was time i upgraded my psu.

Im assured the mobo is ok because it only runs when there is no cpu in the socket.

So from reading the info from the link you gave me, id say the capacitors in my current PSU are sh1te, so i will put back my setup together on the table and try that boot up method mentioned in the link you provided.

Hope it goes well Sparky_S ;)

paddy wrote:
    Hope it goes well Sparky_S ;)

Cheers, thanks again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

And thats a kick-ass PSU man I know a few people with heavy setups that use them!

• Advertisement

And thats a kick-ass PSU man I know a few people with heavy setups that use them!

Yeah thanks, i was thinking it would be good.

Advertisement