Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordered 2Mbit BT Broadband, getting 512kb

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jj_1971

Just a quick question - slighty off topic.
    Did you just get your broadband connected by ordering through the normal channels ? I am about 3 miles from the exchange and showing as a 'fail' on the Eircom website, wondering if there are other options available ?

Thanks for your help

Yes, through normal channels. Our line passed one day for some reason so i went and ordered straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Don't take the eircom broadband 'line test' too seriously. Mine failed, week after week, try after try. Then I rang eircom to ask if I could get Broadband and they said, "Yes, I just checked your line and it passed. It can take broadband. Would you like me to place an order for you now sir?"

See what I'm getting at? ;) They will never give you a successful report online cos then you just go somewhere else. They need you to contact them with your queries.

Obviously this may not be the case for everyone, but my point is, just cos the website says you can't get bb, don't take it as gospel. Best thing to do is find out if your neighbours have bb. If they do, then you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Don't take the eircom broadband 'line test' too seriously. Mine failed, week after week, try after try. Then I rang eircom to ask if I could get Broadband and they said, "Yes, I just checked your line and it passed. It can take broadband. Would you like me to place an order for you now sir?"

See what I'm getting at? ;) They will never give you a successful report online cos then you just go somewhere else. They need you to contact them with your queries.

Obviously this may not be the case for everyone, but my point is, just cos the website says you can't get bb, don't take it as gospel. Best thing to do is find out if your neighbours have bb. If they do, then you can!
    Hey,
    Didnt you order from BT?
    I've ordered and they said my go-live date was August 9th. They (BT) said Eircom should contact me before then to do a line test, then things will be taken from there.
    This is all despite my order in early July saying it would be up and running within 2 weeks.
    Does the above sound right? Once Eircom get in touch, then BT should send out the modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

whiskeyman wrote:
    Hey,
    Didnt you order from BT?
    I've ordered and they said my go-live date was August 9th. They (BT) said Eircom should contact me before then to do a line test, then things will be taken from there.
    This is all despite my order in early July saying it would be up and running within 2 weeks.
    Does the above sound right? Once Eircom get in touch, then BT should send out the modem?
    Did your line fail the initial test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

whiskeyman wrote:
    Hey,
    Didnt you order from BT?
    Hey whiskeyman, yes I did. All because eircom were sneaky! And the fact that they promised me a free 2-month trial pack sent out in the post but they knew nothing about me when I rang 3 weeks later.

But back to your query. I was never contacted by eircom (other than when they installed my phone line at the start of June). I ordered BT 2mb BB online on June 25th, but the offer would not be processed until July 11th. BT give 10-15 days for set-up. I was given 28tha (today) as my 'live-date' and I received my modem on Tuesday last (26th). Basically, BT ship off your details to eircom for processing and when eircom do their thing on the line, its picked up in BT and they automatically post out your modem. I suppose its quick enough if you consider my order was processed July 11th and I received modem July 26th!

Are you still waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hey whiskeyman, yes I did. All because eircom were sneaky! And the fact that they promised me a free 2-month trial pack sent out in the post but they knew nothing about me when I rang 3 weeks later.

But back to your query. I was never contacted by eircom (other than when they installed my phone line at the start of June). I ordered BT 2mb BB online on June 25th, but the offer would not be processed until July 11th. BT give 10-15 days for set-up. I was given 28tha (today) as my 'live-date' and I received my modem on Tuesday last (26th). Basically, BT ship off your details to eircom for processing and when eircom do their thing on the line, its picked up in BT and they automatically post out your modem. I suppose its quick enough if you consider my order was processed July 11th and I received modem July 26th!

Are you still waiting

thanks for that mate - that seems to clarify things.
    I ordered the same as yourself, but on July 11th - rang back last week and my order was supposed to be processed this week.
    I'll probably give them a ring late next week to see what the situation is with the line.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

We're at least 5km from our exchange and have no probs with 1mb BT broadband. Have it over a year now, at the time we ordered it we had ISDN and our line was failing ...but persistance pays off, got esat (as they were back then) to enable it anyway, they told us it "more than likely wouldn't work" but it did :) ...incidently you don't need an engineer to uninstall your ISDN, we did it ourselves without any problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jm2k wrote:
    incidently you don't need an engineer to uninstall your ISDN, we did it ourselves without any problems.

The engineer is there to repo their hispeed box (worth €100) more than uninstall it per se :)

Advertisement