Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

third provisional - insurance cover?

Options
  • 22-07-2005 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

test is still a few months off, and my second provisional expires shortly.

I've been stopped a few times and they only check NCT, tax, Insurance disks. Despite L plates I've never been asked. So I'm not worried about being stopped by cops - though it's not an ideal situ.

However seeing as I'd no longer be legally entitled to drive alone, would I be insured if I were involved in an accident, driving alone, on my third provisional?

I suppose the same question applies to people who let their full licences expire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

I think if you have your 3rd prov you have to prove you have applied for your test.....then i thinkyour fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

to get the third provisional you need proof of having failed a test in the last two years or proof of having applied for a test.

So I can get a third provisional.

But will my insurance continue to cover me?

same with every first time driver - they may have a disk - but are they actually insured in teh event of an accident that they are liable for?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

as far as i know ...yes....ring your insurance company to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know you probably know this but make sure you actually have your third provisional licence got by the time you do the test. I think you would fail the test without even getting into the car if you don't have a current provisional licence whether it be first, second or third.

As for insurance companies, I would think you are but the best thing to do is ring them and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

Best of luck with the test btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yes, you are, I'm 99% sure and everyone else will say the same thing I'm guessing because I've heard from others on boards you definitely are. Even if you are on a motorway, driving alone, with no l plates, on your first provisional they have to insure you still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I distinctly remember a Gerry Ryan show where he had a guy on from the Insurance Federation of Ireland and he pressed him on this exact question. The guy squirmed but admitted that once insured by the company they would be legally obliged to pay a THIRD PARTY'S costs in the event of an accident. They would not be obliged to pay your costs (in the case of comprehensive cover). So yes, you're insured.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

what murphaph said but they can (but currently don't) recover all costs involved via civil action (i.e. they can (but currently don't) sure to recover what you cost them!)

uberwolf wrote:
    But will my insurance continue to cover me?
    They will continue to give you the insurance which covers the legal situation if you dont have an accident.I know one lass whose insurance has actually gone down this year on her third provisional.
    same with every first time driver - they may have a disk - but are they actually insured in teh event of an accident that they are liable for?
    I'd say you'd be in the same boat as many.It's a grey area.
    That said,do you know what is in the small print of your insurance contract in relation to this?
    Thats where the answer lies.The insurance company wouldn't be long about telling you if you had an accident.However if theres no reference to having a qualified driver with you then,You'd have a case.
    If there is a specefic clause detailing that you must obey that rule of the road or all rules , then it's open and shut.
    The implications of your question also apply to motorways ie if you crash into someone on one and it's your fault, you're not supposed to be on it in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

You are covered by insurance if you have, or have ever had, a driving licence appropriate for the vehicle and have are not currently disqualified from driving.

Personally I don't think any 3rd provisional licence driver should be allowed on the road. You have had more than sufficient time to get qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No offense to anyone in particular, but the "holier than thou" attitude of some of the fully licensed drivers on this board is really annoying... May I suggest you take a spin down the N11 some morning and see how many other fully licensed drivers:

(1) Obey the speed limits (60kph for most of it)
    (2) Change lanes without indicating or sit halfway between 2 lanes
    (3) Use the outer lane as the overtaking lane it's intended to be and not the fast lane they think it is.

Just because you have a full license doesn't make you a good driver :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

By this logic, kaiser, anything goes and nobody should be pulled up on any offence? (All of the manoeuvers you describe are illegal and indicate a driver attitude as much as a driver ineptitude.)

Nobody has ever claimed a full licence makes you a "good" driver, however failing a driving test is proof that you are not competant and therefore should not be allowed on the public road, except under strict supervision. Nobody on a 3rd provisional licence should be allowed on a public road on his/her own.

Advertisement