Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2, episode 2: "Valley of Darkness"

• 22-07-2005 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Should be a fun episode :)

How was tonight's Galactica? 27 votes

It was amazing!
    0% 0 votes
    It was great!
    14% 4 votes
    It was okay...
    59% 16 votes
    It was crap!
    14% 4 votes
    I'd rather watch Andromeda!
    11% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ah, the Stargate option has gotten missing.

Shame :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SofaKing wrote:
    Ah, the Stargate option has gotten missing.
    Just as well Fenster, just as well ;) The only way I'd be happy with 'Stargate' is if it was the top option "Almost as good as 'Stargate: SG-1'" but I don't see you admitting to that anytime soon :p

Looking forward to this. Hopefully Olmos' words that this is a great season aren't just all hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

ixoy wrote:
    Just as well Fenster, just as well ;) The only way I'd be happy with 'Stargate' is if it was the top option "Almost as good as 'Stargate: SG-1'" but I don't see you admitting to that anytime soon :p

Looking forward to this. Hopefully Olmos' words that this is a great season aren't just all hype.

Well I'll put Atlantis in there at some point, for their treatment of Colm Meaney :mad:

Fenster wrote:
    Well I'll put Atlantis in there at some point, for their treatment of Colm Meaney :mad:
    ÒK I'll bite - what did you object to? I thought his role was fine! So he wasn't the good guy - isn't that a nice change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

ixoy wrote:
    ÒK I'll bite - what did you object to? I thought his role was fine! So he wasn't the good guy - isn't that a nice change?

Its not that, he just came accross like a standard SG1/A alien: All bland, poorly delivered lines. I call it the "Lucas Effect".

The director directs all life out of the performance :(

• Advertisement

Fenster wrote:
    Its not that, he just came accross like a standard SG1/A alien: All bland, poorly delivered lines. I call it the "Lucas Effect".
    He wasn't the best, he wasn't the worst. I thought Robert Davi was a better villain in SG:A. I certainly think what you're referring to though is common across the sci-fi genre as a whole, including (very very much so) Star Trek in all its incarnations. One of the strengths of BSG is not having to rely in the planet-of-the-week and thus a villain-of-the-week because they are (generally) under-developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Episode 2 was pretty cool but not as action packed as I expected. It was great to see that the cylon ground troops were made out to be so damm bad ass but they could of done with more on screen time for my tastes.

Only thing I disliked was Starbuck's jeep as it looked like something you see in every other military show/movie and should of looked more futuristic considering the show in question.

Another thing was the usual sci fi syndrome of the "red shirts" getting wasted left right and centre. Still it the best show on TV at the moment and looking forward to next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I liked the episode a lot. I'm actually glad they didn't go for OTT action scenes and instead they made the situation tense, we only ever got very brief glimpses of the cylons in question and we only seemed to know as much as the commander, the way we could hear the gunshot etc but not actually see it, the aftermath with the bloody dead bodies.
    They're still fannying about a bit with the Kobol and Caprica storylines, not much really happened, just kind of plot fillers, which is a shame cause I was expecting a lot from those 2 storylines this episode.

I vote "great episode" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

On the Kobol front, more suggestions that the Cylons may be the chosen successors to the humans after all. (Of course, it could well be all lies by Six).

Not really much in terms of revelations, other than we now know those pits on Adama's face don't extend all the way down...

Very tense as usual. I liked the bit where the Chief had to euthanize the injured crewman.

I also liked that the first Cylon slash-attack hit Apollo rather than killing another "unnamed ensign". Though he did seem very spritely for a guy who suffered what looked like deep wounds. I know there's the adrenaline effect, but he should have been looking rough after it was all over.

Other than that, it was a lot of plot filler. Lots of tense claustrophobic stuff, but then we're used to that at this stage.

I liked that episode,the title kind of sums it up, though more action next week please.
    Starbucks house is a right tip :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Gawd damn it people use spoiler tags, you've now gone and ruinned it for people like me who didnt know there where cylons in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

guys where are you downloading the episode from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

You can download episodes??!!!

Enjoyed this as I really dug the claustrophobic darkness and tension. Admittedly, it was mostly filler but if filler can be of this calibre...

As said above, I dig the ethunasia and the fact their mission, that led to the loss of a soldier last week, didn't save him.

I'm imaging Adam will wake up next week and yes, it will be interesting to see his reaction to Apollo and the Prez post-op.

Dont be silly Asok some of us are getting copies from our american cousins and others are getting a synopsis over the phone after the episode-my relatives are so good, it's like being there :p

Rosser,talk of what you talk of is not allowed here but if you pm me or any of the others here I'm sure they'll put you in touch with their cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The euthanizia of the injured crewman was quiet good. A little bit moving, and so bitter. Possibly because that character had been developed slightly in the previous session, and not just random. I really injoyed this episode, it was dark and a moody, with allot of desperation.

Maybe someone can explain why the network thing is go bad, it.s a hard line link, how is it hackable?

Also driving around in that jeep in day light, come on, their going to get picked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I think people need to get used to more plot filling stuff and slower plot .delevopment, for the simple reason that there are 20 episodes instead of 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I tohught they where keeping to the 13eps a season?

I liked the ep, although one problem comes to mind. Only head shots withs explosive rounds worked on the centurions... so why in the first season was Helo (spell) able to kill one with a pistol?

Other than that, I really liked it. Lots of death.. and how are they meant to get more nuggets to fly jets? :D
    I really want to know what is going to happen to Starbuck and Helo now

I liked the ep, although one problem comes to mind. Only head shots withs explosive rounds worked on the centurions... so why in the first season was Helo (spell) able to kill one with a pistol?

I thought that as well. Seemed like a very obvious continuity error.

They didn't actually want to kill helo, remember that was staged. I thought it odd he was able to take them out with a hand gun. We haven't seen him fight them since he went on the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sutty wrote:
    I tohught they where keeping to the 13eps a season?

a wizard did it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

sutty wrote:

Simple, the cylons on carpica were rear area troops who wouldnt be as well armoured as the front line troops who were on a boarding party :p

I enjoyed it, I still havent figured the ambush from esp 1 on kobol though, why wouldnt the cylons just over run them on the spot?

I give starbuck and helo and hour in the jeep before some raider wipes them out!

Nuttzz wrote:
    Simple, the cylons on carpica were rear area troops who wouldnt be as well armoured as the front line troops who were on a boarding party :p

I enjoyed it, I still havent figured the ambush from esp 1 on kobol though, why wouldnt the cylons just over run them on the spot?

I give starbuck and helo and hour in the jeep before some raider wipes them out!

I'd have thought that a ground troop is a ground troop. That the same armor and components would be used in making each one. seeing as they look the same in all.

I've also been thinking about the Kobol, ambush. There are two things I can think off that may answer it.

1) The Cylons are waiting for the Humen crash landing party to find something that only a "child of Kobol can gain access to.

2) it wasn't cylons that ambushed them.

The theory myself and Liouville came up with is that the Cylons have an interest in Dr. Baltar.

as in the cylons use the "baby" as a way of creating a Baltar cylon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I was only joking about the armour sutty :)

What about the cylon virus on the ship itself, no mention of its removal or did I miss that?

I guess we can assume the virus was removed after an hour like they said.

And i assume the centurions were commando-types with better armour, etc...

sutty wrote:
    I'd have thought that a ground troop is a ground troop. That the same armor and components would be used in making each one. seeing as they look the same in all.

I've also been thinking about the Kobol, ambush. There are two things I can think off that may answer it.

You have to remember, that all those encounters that helo had with the cylon troops on caprica where staged. They could have wiped him out at any time. They wanted him to in pregnate bummer, and they wanted him to resuce her, how do you know he destroyed them.

As for the ambush, I don't think it was cylons. Reason being that the cylon troops have shown they will run into small arms fire no problem, because there armor will protect them, also the cylons (from the carnage on galactica) would have killed them all before they even noticed, and they wouldn't have been able to out run them.

RE the ambush: Like Helo, perhaps the 'ambush' was staged. Maybe Chief/Cally need to be kept alive...

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    RE the ambush: Like Helo, perhaps the 'ambush' was staged. Maybe Chief/Cally need to be kept alive...

Unlike helo, who had to encounter the cylons troops in order to rescue sarah there was no need for the ambush, it did nothing except kill a man.

Also remember that the first cylon halo kileld he got with a grenade afair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Please don't discuss downloading episodes. If you have a friend or relation in the states that will send you the episodes, then that's fine.

Good episode, although a little slow at times. I really didn't like Starbuck's vehicle either!

I mean seriously, a combustion engine?

Maybe Starbuck is the closet Tom Paris of Battlestar.

star trek couldn't really pull off the "impressive pilot" thing the way other sci-fi shows can. Tom paris... nay, all hte voyager cast where crap and under developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Didn't the shots Helo fire tear some fairly large holes in the cylon? They looked quite a bit larger than you'd get from a slug from a handgun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement