Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QoS Setup...... for those without knowledge...

Options
  • 22-07-2005 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Got NTL broadband,on the 3 meg at the moment but thinking of reducing down to the 2 meg.

Anyways, what settings should I go for on the QoS?

Anyone who has a Draytek router, I'd appreciate and settings.

The actual quality of calls seems fine, but I think (but not sure) I loose some download speeds when making calls.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

The thing to watch with VoIP is the upstream bandwidth. You should have buckets for downstream even on the 2Mb/s. You should allow 100 kb/s for good quality calls. Unless you're doing heavy uploading (FTP, P2P) you shouldn't need to worry about it. FYI I'm using NTL 2Mb/s with a Belkin wireless router. I have my ATA 'in front of' the router so that it's in control of things WRT QoS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I came across this very interesting little device today - the holy grail of VoIP QOS black boxes perhaps?

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-210-ProdID-HBB1.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

bhickey wrote:
    I came across this very interesting little device today - the holy grail of VoIP QOS black boxes perhaps?
    Meh, it's another device in the chain.
    imho less is more. Ideally you'd have a single device 'modem/gateway/router' including VoIP ports with all the functionality built into it - QoS, network management, etc.
    I'd prefer 1 device rather than 3 devices: modem - BB - gateway/router

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jakeyb

Am thinking of bringing my NTL BB to the 1MB subscription, any idea how if VOIP will be affected while downloading and on the phone at the same time.

Cheers
    Jakeyb

Have a look at this thread particularly this post .

Roughly, you need to allow 50kbps upstream & downstream for VoIP.
    So if you have a 1000kbps/100kbps connection - then any usage above 950/50 kbps from your other apps and it'll affect your call.
    This is unless you use QoS to ringfence your VoIP bandwidth.

hth,
    causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

jakeyb wrote:
    Am thinking of bringing my NTL BB to the 1MB subscription, any idea how if VOIP will be affected while downloading and on the phone at the same time.
    Unlike the other BB providers, NTL are happy to switch you from one bandwidth to the other. Give it a go. If it works, great. If you have problems, just get bumped back up. NTL are due to offer VoIP later this year so it'll be interesting if they put any obstacles up for 3rd party VoIP providers.

NTL are due to offer VoIP later this year so it'll be interesting if they put any obstacles up for 3rd party VoIP providers.
    afair there is an EU and/or ComReg position that ISPs can't block VoIP traffic (which happened in Mexico).
    If ntl, or any other ISP, try underhand methods to stymie 3rd party VoIP I think they'd suffer serious PR image problems; not to mention losing customers, hatemail, and of course it'd be terrible if their systems were subsequently cracked by disgruntled VoIPless nerds :D

causal

Advertisement