Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband TIME from Eircom

• 22-07-2005 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have an ISDN line and ordered BB TIME from Eircon at the beginning of June. I got the following e-mail on the 7th:

Date: 07/06/05 09:18:37
    To: [email][/email]
    @eircom.net
    Subject: FW: ISDN TO BROADBAND APPOINTMENT DATE

Dear Mr

Thank you for ordering eircom broadband. Your Service Order number is 6450145CH
    An eircom technician will visit you on 20 /07/2005 PM to install your eircom broadband service.

If the date above does not suit you, please ring 1901. When your call is answered, simply say: "Agent" to speak to one of our customer service representatives. Please have your service order number and eircom telephone number to hand.

Please note you cannot bring your appointment date forward. Rescheduled appointment dates can only be made for at least 10 working days after the date of your call to 1901.

Please do not reply to this mail as this is for information purposes only and all replies are automatically deleted.

Thank you.

eircom.ie

I waited all evening from 12 onwards for someone to arrive and by 4:30 there was no sign. I rang 1901 and the lady told me that he was probably delayed and would be with me ASAP. I waited until 6:00pm and no-one showed or phoned. 1 days leave wasted.

I also got this e-mail:

Date: 07/07/05 15:27:46
    To: __________@eircom.net
    Subject: eircom broadband order

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for ordering eircom broadband time, the service that will change the way you use the Internet forever

Your order reference number is 6450145CH Your eircom broadband time service will be active within 10-15 working days. We wish to advise you that the line nominated for broadband is an ISDN line therefore one of our technicians will need to call to your home to help you get set up. There is a migration charge of 25 euro (inc VAT) in addition to the standard connection fee. The technician appointment has been made for 19/07/2005am*.

If you have ordered a modem, it will arrive at your home within 6/7 working days. You will find a welcome pack included with the modem, which will contain everything you need to get started.

If you have not ordered a modem, you will receive your welcome pack by post within 6/7 working days.

Please note that if you have not ordered a modem, you will need to reconfigure your existing modem for your eircom broadband time service. This is necessary to ensure that your modem will time-out after a certain inactive period (10-15 mins), which will ensure that your 20-hour allowance is not unwittingly used up. Instructions on how to reconfigure existing modems are available by logging on to http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net and go to Your Modem.... section.

Once you have received your welcome pack, if you have any technical questions about eircom broadband please visit http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net or contact us on 1530 555 444**.

Once again, thank you for ordering eircom broadband.

Yours sincerely,
    Dervilla Mullan
    Head of eircom.ie

I waited all morning and no-one arrived, rang 1901 around 11:30, same story, probably held up blah, blah.

So I wasted a days leave waiting for these morons. I then rang 1901 and asked that my ISDN line be converted back to analogue so I can transfer to Perlico or BT. I'm still waiting...........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Why bother with eircom?????????? Charge for an engineer to call??????? 1530 number for tech support .............do you not think you are being ripped off... & another thing.. When you go over your 20 hours you are charged at a hefty 6c per min..So in theory you could end up paying more than the €39 it would cost for always on, even though you would have used it less. Rip off Ireland is alive & well in EirCON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Why the hell anybody would bother with Eircom Time is beyond me..it seriously defeats the purpose of having broadband...i wouldn't mind if it was like €10 but double that is a major rip off

I think you should back out of this while you can ans switch to home starter...it's only an extra €10 and you get proper broadband

But even better try NTL...they have the best broadband around

beller b wrote:
    When you go over your 20 hours you are charged at a hefty 6c per min..

Nah it's actually 4c a minute thereafter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Eircom TIME is great!!!

I'd get it myself if I didnt already have BT 2Mbit!!!

Eircom will save us all with TIMED Broadband......YiPPeee!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

gazza22 wrote:
    Why the hell anybody would bother with Eircom Time is beyond me..it seriously defeats the purpose of having broadband...i wouldn't mind if it was like €10 but double that is a major rip off

I think you should back out of this while you can ans switch to home starter...it's only an extra €10 and you get proper broadband

But even better try NTL...they have the best broadband around

Nah it's actually 4c a minute thereafter
    Still a rip off Gazza.....Don't know what Zuma has been taking???/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

cancel it and get the offer from bt( 1gig dl and 12 gig download allowance , 15 euro for the first 4 months and 30 a month from then on if you never had bb before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

beller b wrote:
    Still a rip off Gazza.....Don't know what Zuma has been taking???/

Yeah i know, it's unbelievable that they are getting away with this ripoff

Me thinks that Zuma is a Eircom employee or a very guillable person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

zuma wrote:
    Eircom TIME is great!!!

tongue firmly planted in cheek methinks !!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm sorry but time really seems like a crap idea - just imagine using MSN or when the Windows Updates come out.

gazza22

Yeah I'm an eircom employee who hates my employer so much I decided to get BT Broadband...????

greglo23

Firmly welded to cheek more likely...hahahaha.

TIMED Broadband is the worst possible idea.
    If they intend on releasing it for the long term and not just a marketing gimmick then it should be changed to High Speed Internet or something as people normially view "Internet" access as timed...but "Broadband" is viewed as always on.
    A far better option for current/near future TIMED customers would be migration to a real Broadband always on ervice with a 1GB CAP and an option to drop speeds to 56K territory when such download CAP's are exceeded so that vital emails and such can be sent through but large downloads would not be undertaken due to the time needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

mattDL wrote:
    So I wasted a days leave waiting for these morons. I then rang 1901 and asked that my ISDN line be converted back to analogue so I can transfer to Perlico or BT. I'm still waiting...........

A word of warning! I did this and later regretted it big time. I finally got my line passed for DSL, went and ordered an ISDN to BB upgrade with eircom, changed my mind, got the ISDN line downgraded to analogue. I was told on the phone it'd cost €25 to get it REMOVED completely. I even asked if she wasnt getting mixed up with the once off fee with the ISDN->BB upgrade but she was adamant it was only €25 to get ISDN removed. After it was removed (took a couple of days for the engineer to come out) we got the bill and it cost ~€100 which was pretty much expected (thought it was €125?).

ANYWAY, after the ISDN was removed I wanted to get Esat but surprise surprise my line was failing the test. I rang up a few times to get my line re-tested but was told it could take up to 3 weeks. Supposedly my line wasnt even showing up on their database once the isdn was removed. This went on for 3 weeks and I emailed some DSL manager guy in Eircom and he sorted it out in 1 day for me which was nice.

I ordered Esat the next day which is going to be another 3 weeks. It's gonna take 6 weeks and ~€175 for me to get bb where as if I just went with an Esat engineer installation it'd cost €190 but be done a lot faster.

Just thought I'd let you know incase this also happens to you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

zuma wrote:
    Eircom TIME is great!!!

Somebody fetch this man a doctor.....He must be crazy!!! :)

Ahh no its alright he works for eircom, hes allowed be crazy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

How Can You TIME Broadband?? Thats Just...disgusting..lol

Rock On Always On BroadBand!!!

:)

Netz

Chief--- wrote:

Please read the ABOVE:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3090603&postcount=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Broadband time its such a crap idea, the whole idea of broadband is to be always on, and not having to worry about it on all the time, and for 19,99 is another crap idea.

eircom are really doing them selfs into the ground, where as other isps like esat are bringing prices down, eircom are reducing a service and charging more for it.

which would be better, getting you e-mails in real-time or doing it at a certain time of day so you dont use up your hours. If you wanted to have hours left for the month, you would have to use the internet for less than an hour everyday, people might aswell go back to dial-up with the way eircom are going.

its madness i tell you, madnessss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Chief--- wrote:

Ooooh dear, seems you missed out on a bit of sarcasm there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

Sparky_S wrote:
    Broadband time its such a crap idea, the whole idea of broadband is to be always on, and not having to worry about it on all the time, and for 19,99 is another crap idea.

eircom are really doing them selfs into the ground, where as other isps like esat are bringing prices down, eircom are reducing a service and charging more for it.

which would be better, getting you e-mails in real-time or doing it at a certain time of day so you dont use up your hours. If you wanted to have hours left for the month, you would have to use the internet for less than an hour everyday, people might aswell go back to dial-up with the way eircom are going.

its madness i tell you, madnessss

Only comment needed (for another €6 p/m): http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html :D

Advertisement