Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting to net with NTL wireless router

• 22-07-2005 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I did a clean install of XP Pro on my mates laptop. He had NTL wireless on it. After the clean install I had to re-install the drivers for the router and adapter, which went ok. I can't seem to establish a connection to the network now. In the Netgear smart wizard it isn't picking up any connection at all.
    Anyone got any ideas on how I could fix this problem and connect to the web?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Oh by the way...
    Model no's etc...

Netgear 54mbps wireless usb 2.0 adapter - WG111v2
    Netgear 54Mbps wireless router - WGR614

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

stephen p wrote:
    Oh by the way...
    Model no's etc...

Netgear 54mbps wireless usb 2.0 adapter - WG111v2
    Netgear 54Mbps wireless router - WGR614

ok plug the router into the NTL box ! done ? got into the 193.168.0.1

password is usually admin and password is password ! check that the ip is auro select on the router !

turn on NTL wait for signal and then turn on the router

make sure that the PC has windows wireless network off and that the Netgear card is selecting the wireless network ! there is a conflict in the two devises !

do a search on the Netgear site ! I had same problem !!

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of questions:

- Should I be able to view 193.168.0.1 in the browser even thought I've no internet?

- How you turn off the windows wireless network? And how do I make sure the Netgear card is selecting the wireless network?

Sorry...but these are probably simple things to check but I'm totally new to the whole wireless set-up.
    Another thing I wanted to ask, the SSID network name is blank in the netgear setup wizard. My mate thinks he knows the name of the network when it was set-up but not totally sure, if I rang NTL tech support today would they tell me the SSID Network name?

Drapper wrote:
    ok plug the router into the NTL box ! done ? got into the 193.168.0.1

password is usually admin and password is password ! check that the ip is auro select on the router !

Should I be able to go into that even on my browser? When I type it into the address bar it says it can't find the website

• Advertisement

Have you a lan cable? connect the lappy to the router !

make sure the wireless settings are on auto select IP

sorted over the phone yesterday !!

Stephen hope all works out now !! keep an eye on it !

but NTL router on - then Netgeat Router - then LAppy !! ;-)

when your installing windows do it from the bios, reboot using the CD drive with the CD in and do a complete fresh instal !

installing over an old MSN product is a pain in the arsche !!! and may not pick up drivers ect !!

TTYL m8 !

Drapper wrote:
    sorted over the phone yesterday !!

Stephen hope all works out now !! keep an eye on it !

but NTL router on - then Netgeat Router - then LAppy !! ;-)

when your installing windows do it from the bios, reboot using the CD drive with the CD in and do a complete fresh instal !

installing over an old MSN product is a pain in the arsche !!! and may not pick up drivers ect !!

TTYL m8 !

Just want to publicly thank Drapper for the help he gave me yesterday sorting out me mates wireless connection problem. He was very helpful and very patient too. Not many people would spend most of their Saturday afternoon helping someone they don't know, fair play to ye!!

As far as I know everything is working smoothly now.

Thanks again!

Stephen P

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Good man Drapper :)

Advertisement