Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The new Al-Qaeda" documentary series

Options
  • 22-07-2005 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this would be more useful here than on the TV board somehow.

Just a heads up for a new series by the esteemed journalist Peter Taylor called The New Al-Qaeda
    DOCUMENTARY: The New Al-Qaeda
    Channel: BBC 2 Northern Ireland (Digital) 106
    Date: Monday 25th July 2005
    Time: 21:00 to 22:00
    Duration: 1 hour.

Jihadi.com. Peter Taylor peers into the murky world of the internet jihadi, discovering how bloodthirsty videos are made in Iraq and circulated by webmasters in the UK and elsewhere. He looks at how the internet is the lifeblood of the new al-Qaeda and at the role it plays in pulling together the remains of that organisation. Also, he finds out how security agencies are using the net to penetrate terrorist operations.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DOCUMENTARY: The Cult of The Suicide Bomber
    Channel: Channel 4 108
    Date: Thursday 4th August 2005
    Time: 21:00 to 22:00
    Duration: 1 hour.
    Kicking off Channel 4's New World War strand. Since the recent London bomb attacks we are living with a new terror in our midst. But modern-day suicide bombers who strike fear into the heart of Western cities are a relatively recent phenomenon. This major two-part series reveals for the first time on television the secret history of the Islamic suicide bomber: from the child martyrs of the Iran-Iraq War to the truck bombers in Southern Lebanon, to the young men and women who now strap explosives to their bodies and calmly blow up both themselves and hundreds of others in the streets of the Middle East. Presented by former CIA agent Robert Baer who returns to some of his former theatre of operations, the Middle East, to trace the origins of the modern suicide bomber.

One trusts they wont pull this over concerns about insensitive timing.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

"The Cult of the Suicide Bomber"?!

Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting first programme, I did'nt know the internet had become quite so important to "al-qeada". I guess many of the websites mentioned will be getting some heavy traffic this evening.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thought provoking. As an aside a piece I came across recently (can't remember where :( ) suggested that the only groups not under under threat in Iraq from insurgents are those in communications thus helping ensure the uploading videos and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I thought the first edition was excellent (what more would you expect from Peter Taylor!) Definitely recommended viewing for the future - especially for the quality of the talking heads, including the head of US Central Command and the former head of the CIA Bin Laden unit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

mike65 wrote:
    Interesting first programme, I did'nt know the internet had become quite so important to "al-qeada". I guess many of the websites mentioned will be getting some heavy traffic this evening.

Mike.
    The internet is to 'Al Qaeda' as it is to the 'Anti-Globalisation Movement'. The internet is vital in 'Al Qaeda's' existence - although there's no one organisation but a nebulous network of separate groups with different sets of objectives.

Advertisement