Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First 'V for Vendetta' trailer...

• 23-07-2005 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I defo be given that a look when it comes out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Looks good. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Been waiting for this. I ****ing love Hugo Weaving, you have to wonder would another more well known actor have taken a part where their face is covered so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

OHHHHH I really like the look of this! The Britishness makes it seem a bit funny and may take away from the immersion of the film (I have great difficulty imagining a fascist Britain) but it still looks cool as hell ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm torn on this.

On the one hand, there's the trailer. Which, being honest, gets my interest. If I didn't know anything about V For Vendetta other than what's in the trailer, I'd be quite curious now, and probably looking forward to more trailers.

On the other hand, there's stuff like what's mentioned here. I don't generally like comic fanboy smackdowns (partly because I understand that comics and film are different mediums with different audiences, partly because I differ with a lot of fanboys about what makes a good comic adaptation). But, if the article is to be trusted, a lot of the core themes of the original story have been junked, to be replaced by more shallow-but-cool-looking aspects. I'll wait and see - hell, this is the first Alan Moore adaptation that's going to come out *after* Sin City - maybe they've had enough time to learn something from its success. But I suspect I'm in for a disappointment unless I can leave all recollection of the original story at the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Didn't Alan Moore slate the film after seeing the first screening? I think I read that on this board anyway, never a good sign!
    However I don't know anything About the V comics and the trailer does get my interest.

I doubt that happened with Alan Moore as the film isnt finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Would the first warrior comic with (I think) the first V for Vendetta story in it be worth something then?
    I had that in good condition up up until recently. Wonder if it still is about if so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

OT : Yeah, an original version of the first story would probably be considered reasonably valuable as a collector's item. Depends on condition etc, though.

Back on topic : I have read that Alan Moore has (once again) asked that his name be removed from the credits of this film (as he has done with previous adaptations of his work), and not only that but owing to certain misrepresentations during promotional events for the film he has now broken his ties with DC as a publisher. Not a promising sign.

Of course, in saying all this, I'll be seeing it in the cinema anyway, because if it's satisfying as an action flick then that at least will be acceptable. It'd be nice to think that all the potential of the source material won't be squandered though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Fysh wrote:
    Back on topic : I have read that Alan Moore has (once again) asked that his name be removed from the credits of this film (as he has done with previous adaptations of his work)
    Well, I know you didn't say anything, but I'd just like to point out that this is no reason for alarm, he just does this because he takes a very hard line about his associations with adapations of his works. I.e., he doesn't want any, whatsoever.

Regarding the trailer - I really liked John Hurt popping up as the 'big brother' character. Cheeky.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Well, I know you didn't say anything, but I'd just like to point out that this is no reason for alarm, he just does this because he takes a very hard line about his associations with adapations of his works. I.e., he doesn't want any, whatsoever.

Well, after my rather foaming-at-the-mouth comments on the Constantine movie, I can't blame you for pointing this out :)

I have to admit, going by the trailer at least, there's a good chance that this will make a decent popcorn flick even if it doesn't live up to the original's standard. (I didn't think Constantine was a good film by pretty much any standard other than FX, so it'll at least be an improvement as far as I'm concerned).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Downloading but on a different note, HDtv trailer downloads cool.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i dont know anything about the source material. So looking at the trailer i have to say *meh*Admittably i have the volume very low and am craning to hear it cause i am in a library. But the imagry doesnt really impress me, so this will be a film i'll watch if only recommanded by a trusted source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The film has been pushed back from November to March.

To be expected. I don't think Londoners particularly want to see a film about London being bombed to shit. Not just yet, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

In the teaser, doesn't one of the characters mention 'November' in a voiceover ? They'll have to change that now.

Yeah I was wondering about that. But when V is talking about the 5th of November I'm pretty sure it has to do with the story in the movie and not just the release date.

Yeah. The 5th of November thing refers to Guy Fawke's night - when a bunch of people tried to blow up the houses of Parliament. In the comic, the character V dresses like Guy Fawkes and.. blows up Parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i dont know anything about the source material. So looking at the trailer i have to say *meh*Admittably i have the volume very low and am craning to hear it cause i am in a library. But the imagry doesnt really impress me, so this will be a film i'll watch if only recommanded by a trusted source.

Theres an argument thats it's Moore's finest book, a meditation on what makes a fascist societ so attractive and how it draws it power, and an example of where it's weakness lies fundamentally a psychological level(for example he while starting his war kidnapps the voice of fate (the government's spokesperson) just unnerving people, the authorative government spokesperson disappears. Combine with a mediatation on the philosophy of anarchism, (as a polticaly idealogy) and the ruthlessness cold indeference and willingness to inflict pain of a true revolutionary, the comic was magnificent. V is insane gleefully so, but a surgeon's precisious to inflict pain on the leaders of a country which hurt him

What I will say is this within a month of the terrorist bombing of London, the studio is braving a film about essentially a terrrorist (true a heroic terrorist) but a terrorist who attacks london. Seeing this trailer was out a few weeks after tube bombings.

Finally and most importantly unlike dread we're not seeing V, and thats import. V was to me was the flip said to thread, ruthless violent and brutal, but unlike thread completely anti authoritarian.

One to watch.

Advertisement