Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vanity (personal) plates

Options
  • 23-07-2005 6:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Soneone had a thread on this in the recent past, so I gathered a collection of some I observed since.

Here are some valid California "vanity" plates on various cars.

WTSHKN
    GRDPATT
    SRP+ IQ
    GUY FLYS
    LDY FLYS
    LUVMYVW
    ZLCIOUS (on a BMW Z)
    YBY GAS
    EEGOMBL
    CLK WRK
    GET AKLU
    ACTN PKD
    SCCRWDW
    MOBLOHM (On a Prius)
    BBY BMR
    ASKACPA
    SNAUZRS
    FUNUSUZ
    UPLIFTN (on a raised up/lifted truck)
    S2CARGO (S2000)
    [HEART]YR NMY
    WHODNIT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

one i remeber seeing a few years back was

"00 LS 400"

on a Lexus LS400 none the less :)

definetly the best i'v seen in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there an actual reason why they dont de personalised plates here or is it just in the " we just dont, right" catagory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

we just dont : :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

You can order them though..

I know of one person who ordered and got 00 MN 21

The car was a 21st birthday present. Her initials are MN. Pretty cool I thought at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

looky bloke to just get a new car for his 21st never mind the plate,about time we should be able to get the same custom plates as the uk :rolleyes: theres about 60 i know of that would look good on my chevy, c6 evy and so on,buts its ireland and we;just dont do it;bring back dev :o :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

saw a good one in Dub:
    05D5050

Well it's good for Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AMurphy wrote:
    ZLCIOUS (on a BMW Z)

I like that one assuming it's driven by a tasty bird :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah you can order any number you wish. it starts at 350 yoyos which is cheap for your own plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Saw a 04 C Z4 Got a friend to check it up It was a 04 C 24 Z4 None the less but just put a Z instead of 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

theres loads of these plates around eg 911 everyyear is for porcshe, also 500 for cl 500's . i seen loads of these every day around dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I used to own a 320i with the reg 89 RN 320. Apparently Joe Duffys tend to book a lot of the common bmw related numbers.
    I think it is a good system here where a car has a reg for life and isn't transferable. Reduces 'cut and shut' incidences seemingly (compared to the UK) and also eliminates the farcical business of selling plates. Even the DVLA gets involved in a business where a crappy looking reg can go for several thousand pounds!.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

I have seen a Mercedes SLK 200

05LK200

Unbeatable !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I've spotted loads of Irish 'cherished registrations' (that's their official name) over the years.

One example :
    00 D 7 ..... on a 7 series BMW just like the one Pierce Brosnan had in his James Bond film.

Get it ? ....... 00 D 7 ! :D

AMurphy,
    On a related matter.........

Why do so many cars in L.A. (California?) have no number plates at all ?!

I know in some states in the U.S. a front plate is not required, but I couldn't believe the amount of cars I saw on the L.A. freeways last October with no front or rear plates ??!

Here in Ireland you would be stopped very quickly by the Gardaí if you were driving with a missing front plate ....... never mind having no plates at all!

Exceptions to the above would be if a trade plate (dealer plate) was in use. But I saw no evidence of any such plates on display. One car even had kids in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can I have a customised phone number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Silvera wrote:
    AMurphy,

I know in some states in the U.S. a front plate is not required, but I couldn't believe the amount of cars I saw on the L.A. freeways last October with no front or rear plates ??!

Here in Ireland you would be stopped very quickly by the Gardaí if you were driving with a missing front plate ....... never mind having no plates at all!

Exceptions to the above would be if a trade plate (dealer plate) was in use. But I saw no evidence of any such plates on display. One car even had kids in the back.
    I think it is because the plates belong to the person and not the car. When you sell the car you take off the existing plates and keep them for your next car.

When you buy a new car you usually don't put the plates on till they are transfered to your new car. What you will find is a piece of paper in the front. This is the tempoary tags used until the plate is transfered or a new one issued.

People in Donegal would not be able to have customised plates like back home as all plates are made in the jail by prisoners and I takes about 6 weeks for a new set of plates to be issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

drdre wrote:
    yeah you can order any number you wish. it starts at 350 yoyos which is cheap for your own plate.

For "any" as like CA or within the series "05 D 1234", eg $350 reserves you "05 D 050505" if you care to wait.
    What would be the ruling if you reserved a number so high it was never reached in the year, ie "05 ** 5555555"

unkel wrote:
    I like that one assuming it's driven by a tasty bird :)

Don't know, it was parked.
    However this one must be a cute French bird;

"MINIMEE" on a Cooper, with a French EU plate with teh same text on front.

I don't know how this one got past the sensor, "MN2DRGS", cause it spells "I'm into Drugs" to me, any other suggestions.

Silvera wrote:
    AMurphy,

I know in some states in the U.S. a front plate is not required, ......

Here in Ireland you would be stopped very quickly by the Gardaí if you were driving with a missing front plate .......

See Bond-007's reply.

Arizona does not require front plates.

However, cars on the highway with no plates woudl be illigal, unless, it is new, in which case you have a temporary sticker on the glass/dash while you are waiting for the plates to arrive in the mail from the jail.

Lots of cars for sale may have no plates either because they may have been registered in another state or personal plates were held by the previous owner, for a new car. Car rental co often transfer used cars from one state ot another for sale, etc.

Cops would look at the car, then look for the piece of paper on the glass and move on without stopping.

I was thinking of getting a pair of CA plates in the form KY 04 123 to match my mom's car, Then we'ed switch front plates. However, it would only work in cases where the character count + spaces is 7 or less.

I know someone here is missing a plate after a crash, cause I see the front bumper and plate attached on the side of the highway for the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Can I have a customised phone number?

Actually you used to be able to get them, when i went for my first (and last) bill phone i was handed a bundle of about 100 pages, and asked what number i'd like from the list.. They were all sequencial so easy to see at a glance what to take..

.. i used to have 087 2222250

Dont mind giving it out cause its been outta service for a long time .... looking back i should have kept (up the payments) it :P

Only prob was people didnt belive me when i gave my number to them Grrrr...

• Advertisement

AMurphy wrote:
    See Bond-007's reply.

Arizona does not require front plates.

However, cars on the highway with no plates woudl be illigal, unless, it is new, in which case you have a temporary sticker on the glass/dash while you are waiting for the plates to arrive in the mail from the jail.

Lots of cars for sale may have no plates either because they may have been registered in another state or personal plates were held by the previous owner, for a new car. Car rental co often transfer used cars from one state ot another for sale, etc.

Cops would look at the car, then look for the piece of paper on the glass and move on without stopping.

I was thinking of getting a pair of CA plates in the form KY 04 123 to match my mom's car, Then we'ed switch front plates. However, it would only work in cases where the character count + spaces is 7 or less.

I know someone here is missing a plate after a crash, cause I see the front bumper and plate attached on the side of the highway for the last week.

I can assure you that the cars I saw were neither new or had any 'paper plate' in the window that I could see (believe me, I notice details on cars more than the average person!).

Why would you 'switch plates' with you mom's car if you both had 'KY 04 123' ???

Ah wait, now I see.......you're in the states and she's here in Ireland right?
    (BTW, I presume you meant to typr 04 KY 123 ?)

Regards,
    Silvera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭trazix

There is a milk van in donegal with the reg :eek: M 1 l k :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

The 00-d-7 bmw was my uncles car. His 7 series bmws have all had 7s in them - 02-d-2007, and 05-d-7007.
    His son (my cousin) had 2 911s - 01-d-29911, and 02-d-911, a bmw - 98-d-323 (he never got personal plates for the 360, or lambo), and his brother has an m5 - 05-d-50505, their sis has a mini 0ne - 04-d-17 (for her 17th bday). Afaik they always get the 'customised' plates when they can.
    I have seen a h2 going around with 05-d-112 , with a screw between the ones to read H2.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kersh wrote:
    The 00-d-7 bmw was my uncles car. His 7 series bmws have all had 7s in them - 02-d-2007, and 05-d-7007

He sure likes his 7-series :)

Silvera wrote:
    I can assure you that the cars I saw were neither new or had any 'paper plate' in the window that I could see ..

.....you're in the states and she's here in Ireland right?

Hmmmmm, no tag of any sort would be a little illegal, even here, but one would probably get away with it for a long while.

Right and Right.

sidenote; yesterday while out and about, I saw an ad on a truck "I buy old plates; Call Han @ 408-????????". Must be supplying Hard Rock Cafe's the world over, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Kersh wrote:
    The 00-d-7 bmw was my uncles car. His 7 series bmws have all had 7s in them - 02-d-2007, and 05-d-7007.
    His son (my cousin) had 2 911s - 01-d-29911, and 02-d-911, a bmw - 98-d-323 (he never got personal plates for the 360, or lambo), and his brother has an m5 - 05-d-50505, their sis has a mini 0ne - 04-d-17 (for her 17th bday). Afaik they always get the 'customised' plates when they can.
    I have seen a h2 going around with 05-d-112 , with a screw between the ones to read H2.
    Living on the poverty line I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Cushtie

speaking of plates I've seen a silver BMW X5 going around Limerick on LV plates but the reg is simply EU, anyone know what that is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

@ the jew... yep, im sure they struggle to put food on the table... :rolleyes: . Lucky gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cushtie wrote:
    speaking of plates I've seen a silver BMW X5 going around Limerick on LV plates but the reg is simply EU, anyone know what that is about.
    Latvian Gang master driving around with his hoes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

H2 in Galway with 05-G-112, with a screw placed between the 11's

Advertisement