Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Packet Injection

• 23-07-2005 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Im having a small problem whilst trying to break the encryption on one of my wireless lans. I tried to inject packets into it to induce more traffic, and hence capture more weakend type IV packets, which when enough are gathered can be used to solve my WEP key.

Leaving my packet logger running overnight was enough to gather about 1million of these packets without any form of packet injection. However, If I could inject packets, this time could be decreased to about half an hour.
    However, to properly send in these packets, I need to know the MAC address of both the AP and a client connected to this AP. Getting the MAC of the Ap is no problem, using Kismet or equivalent.

My question, is how can I discover the MAC address of a remote client connected to a remote AP which I am not authed/dont have WEP key for.
    Of course, I could simply check the MAC physically on the NIC, but that would be cheating! :D

Again, I am not trying this to crack someone elses network. In fact, as I've said, I've allready cracked the WEP after about 10 hours of packet logging. I am simply trying to see for myself firsthand how easy it is for someone to crack the WEP in less than half an hour.

Now, I cannot migrate to WMA, due to hardware restrictions so thats out of the question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

Can you use Ethereal to sniff the packets being sent from the AP to the client, i've done this on my mac without problem before, you can see the host ip address and the mac address, as well as the AP traffic. Although ethereal is just a fancy packet sniffer... Although i dunno about a network you don't have access for...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would have thought that Kismet would show you the MAC of the remote station in the same way it shows the AP. Or can you only see the AP directly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

Well i've always had a problem with Kismac not showing me the clients, but ethereal shows the destination address on the packets, and most of the time i can see the transmitted packets from the client as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Kismet is great,but it only shows AP info. (MAC, IP, etc)
    But ethereal wont work, AFAIK on networks which the user is not authenticated on.
    I *could* auth myself and then sniff with ethereal, but that would be cheating :D

So my verdict, I suppose is that anyone with half decent knowledge of wireless nets and linux can hack most WEP given, say 12 hours.
    But it seems very difficult(although not impossible) to do it within half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Kismet will give you the MAC of all associated NICs.
    Select the AP with arrow keys, then press shift-C to bring up the list of clients.

HTH,
    JP

• Advertisement
Advertisement