Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old games

Options
  • 23-07-2005 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

What old games do you play still.

mine:
    theme hospital
    rollercoster tycoon
    and the classic
    age of empire's 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Old games?

These new-fangled 'computer' games are positively bleeding-edge compared to some of the games I play.

I play "go". thats pretty old. It was invented 4000 years ago in china, and the best game of strategy ever concieved, IMO.
    Also the odd game of chess or backgammon, theyre both pretty old too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I suppose the old games i play are:

X-Com Apocalypse - truely a magnificent game, even though it ran on a MS-DOS system. I still cannot get enough of this game its so good

Might&Magic 6,7,8? Not sure if 7 or 8 are old as such but i enjoy these games alot still.

Doom :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

X-Com Apocalypse - truely a magnificent game, even though it ran on a MS-DOS system. I still cannot get enough of this game its so good

Might&Magic 6,7,8? Not sure if 7 or 8 are old as such but i enjoy these games alot still.

yeah Might and magic 6 was excellent, 7 was good also but everything past that was a dissapointment.

I still play Gauntlet (mame) and Chaos on the spectrum sometimes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I usually go back to playing old games on emulators. I'm not a fan of the 8-bit home computers but I play anything decent from the 8-bit consoles onwards. I play Radiant silvergun regularly, I recently finished Super Castlevania IV (superb game) and if my brother remembers to bring freeloader down during the weekend I'll be playing Mega Man Anniversary Collection. The Doom games in co-op mode are timeless classics. They put serious sam to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Recently got emulators running on my PSP so I have started to play through the Sonic series from the MD and Metal Slug 1&2 ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thief 2 - The Metal Age or Thief 1 - The Dark Project...

I loved these sneak... sneak... knock 'em out games....

Now the Thief community have released an awesome 652Mb new "game" of Thief called "The Shadows of the Metal age". It's time period is based between the time of the Hammerites and the Mechanists.

Garret is replaced by a women. The game's graphics, frontend, music, intro, cuts-scenes and dialogs have been completely replaced! I'm on the 2nd level and it's Nirvana! You need the original thief 2 and the latest patch.

Check it out from http://www.ttlg.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Gizzard wrote:
    Chaos on the spectrum sometimes

Is that Lords of Chaos, I remember that game with very fond memories on my 48k

As for old games I still play I am still a bit of a sucker for txt based adventures like The Pawn and Guild of Thieves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

X-Com apocalypse, I loved this game!!!!!

Got it years and years ago in a bundle with Carmageddon and Estatica 2....oh memories

X-Com apocalypse, I loved this game!!!!!

Got it years and years ago in a bundle with Carmageddon and Estatica 2....oh memories

Exactly how i got my x-com game to :D

Did you ever get far in that Estatica 2 game? didnt know how to attack for ages until i found it it was Ctrl and a directional arrow button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Exactly how i got my x-com game to :D

Did you ever get far in that Estatica 2 game? didnt know how to attack for ages until i found it it was Ctrl and a directional arrow button.

You know what, I never did discover the secret.....spent few days wandering around the opening section, trying to vainly run away from enemies wondering if maybe you couldnt attack until you found a weapon....all this time it was CTRL and an Arrow.... :mad:

You know what, I never did discover the secret.....spent few days wandering around the opening section, trying to vainly run away from enemies wondering if maybe you couldnt attack until you found a weapon....all this time it was CTRL and an Arrow.... :mad:

haha yeah i know, i was saying to myself at one point " what's the point in this? " jus running around doing nothin until i just randomly pressed all the keys and ctrl and arrow seemed to work.... so you gonna try Estatica 2 a go again? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On emulators at the moment... Super Metroid, Starfox, Super Mario World, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Sensible World of Soccer is still as good now as it ever was. The version I downloaded has no sound but small price.

4 direction buttons and one fire button - simple and the best soccer game in the world! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

very nice very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

F/A-18 Korea (and/or Gold edition), by Graphsim (PC flight combat sim). Always have had the demo on every PC that fell in my lap since it came out ('97 I believe), and recently bought the 2001 re-marketing by Xicat (re-badged F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter) including the OpenGL build, from a eBay US catalogue seller for $0.99. Non-OpenGL available for free as abandonware from Home of the Underdogs.

Advance Wars - ever since it came out, played it to death and still do on GBA, SP, DS, etc, etc - in fact ended up playing it 90% of playtime on my DS, which is why I'm getting rid (see FS consoles :D ) and grabbed a cheapo SP last week :rolleyes:

Bomberman World (JAMMA, Arcade) and Metal Slug (I) (MVS, Arcade) - on MAME until the day I have enough space to own a JAMMA Cab with the original PCBs (and JAMMA-MVS slot) :o

Advertisement