Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advantages of Broadband for Campaign

• 23-07-2005 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

There is no Broadband in our area, nor is there even the slightest inkling that it may be on the way. No surprise there.

I am considering starting a local campaign to raise awareness regarding Broadband and to gather enough signatures (telephone A/c holders, internet users, business etc.) on a petition so that some ISP or Govt. office will take notice.

I would like to be able to list on a poster/ petition the many advantages of Broadband in layman's language

Could some of the people lucky enough to have Broadband list some of the advantages that they have found using it Vs. Dial-up connection.
    Thanks
    Goll

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Talk to some of the guys in the ireland offline community
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well where abouts are you? If you are in an area that Eircom well never consider then you can get a grant off the government to set up wireless internet afaik, although Im not to well up on the subject so maybe someone else on here might shed some light on the matter.
    Advantages of Broadband

Broadband has enormous benefit for home users, students and business operators, giving fast connections to the Internet.

Broadband is connected 24 hours a day so there is no delay while you wait for a dial up connection.

Broadband does not tie up your phone line, so you can make and receive calls while using the Internet.

The cost of your Broadband connection will be determined by the speed of service that you require, and your estimate of the amount of material you will sending and receiving. You decide how much you spend. Your internet service provider (ISP) can help you select the package that best suits your needs.

The speed of Broadband greatly improves productivity for business, regular users, home users and students.

Businesses can gain from the potential additional business, from other businesses or individuals around the world whom they may not have reached with traditional marketing. In reality, your office is open for business 24 hours a day to take enquiries and orders.

Students can take advantage of faster access speeds, a greater range of downloadable material and less time gathering onlilne research material.

Home users can benefit from the increased ease of communication, and the type of information they can send and receive. Stay in touch with family and friends sending photographs and video as well as standard emails. Study, shop, bank, pay bills and job search on line.

Broadband allows you to do all the things you are able to do with a dial-up connection, but faster and more cost effectively.

c&p'd because Im lazy to type my own list which would be the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I suggest you post this in Ireland Offlines forum:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

A major advantage is everything and anything to do with Multimedia.
    Music/Video downloads in seconds...even this webpage open in about 1 second for me.

Knowledge....you will never need another encyclopedia again as there are some great dedicated resources on the net...wikipedia!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Video conferencing(with 256K at least anyway) so you can chat to relatives around the world while looking at them.

Honestly there are tonnes of uses......even viruses are less likely than with dial-up due to the routers used in DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I am considering starting a local campaign to raise awareness regarding Broadband and to gather enough signatures (telephone A/c holders, internet users, business etc.) on a petition so that some ISP or Govt. office will take notice.

I suggest being careful with petitions.

My uncle worked as chairperson of a county council for a few years
    and he said that petitions were often dumped within days of arriving
    in the office.

Naturally wouldn't you be extremely angry to find out that you have
    gone to the work of travelling all around your local area to have all that
    work dumped?

I dont know how you could do it but just take measures to make sure
    this does not happen to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

Thanks for all the help and advice.
    Thanks for the info Murderer.

I suggest being careful with petitions.

My uncle worked as chairperson of a county council for a few years
    and he said that petitions were often dumped within days of arriving
    in the office.

Naturally wouldn't you be extremely angry to find out that you have
    gone to the work of travelling all around your local area to have all that
    work dumped?

I dont know how you could do it but just take measures to make sure
    this does not happen to you

Good point Shiny.

I had intended on gathering signatures in the local shop; when people come in to shop they could sign.
    I would also promote this in the local mass bulletin and newspaper.

The reason I am gathering a list ( I suppose it is a list rather than a petition- I used the wrong word) is to show to some ISP that there are a certain number of people who would be interested in taking up the service and maybe entice a company to put the necessary infrastructure in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

there are a few people who have gone through this process, myself included and you might want to take advantage of this experience. I'd reccomend you look at the following sites for ideas:

http://www.broadband4kinnegad.com/

and

http://www.bb4ne-wicklow.info/

The latter is the site for the campaign I am working on. A couple of ideas which may help

1) Get the local media involved. Articles in the local paper are a great source of interest.
    2) Use a website to allow people to register their interest. It is much easire to respond to people, and keep them up to date in this way. Our website is hosted for free on beecher.net thanks to Adam's kind generosity. He hs offered to host bb4 sites.
    3) Contact the local GBS co-ordinator. They are there to help you raise awareness and to help smooth the process. The one we have is very proactive, hopefully yours will be also.
    4) Make sure people understand that you are doing this for the community and that you are not profiting from it.
    5) Highlight how the schools are all getting broadband and how kids will want the same access at home.

If you have any questions I am sure you only have to ask, as I said use the experience of others.

Good luck

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

Excellent post Mr. Man.
    Great links.
    I'll get working on it!

Advertisement