Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and router

Options
  • 23-07-2005 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Ok just need to know that if i get a wireless routher with built in ADSL modem will i be able to replace my existing bb modem as i've heard that it doesn't work that way. You can only make it wireless by keeping the existing one and adding a wireless router.

All help welcomed
    Timeout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Wandering Dazed

You can do either. You'll need to note the settings to setup the new modem. Depends on how good the modem you got from your isp is. I replaced my zyxel usb cheapo modem with a cheapo sweex adsl wireless router and got much higher connection speeds.The router works fine but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't setup one before. The linksys ones though slightly more expensive are more user friendly and have more features.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You should be able to set up any wireless adsl modem with any isp. Just a matter of changing the settings, and not many at that. I set up the netopia 3347 that comes with eircom on a UTV connection in minutes. I can't see it being very different on other manufacturer's units.

Advertisement