Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter Milan wont tour England

• 23-07-2005 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

... because of the security incidents in London...
    Inter Milan have cancelled their four game pre-season tour of England because of safety fears in the wake of the London bombings.

they did not want to: "...add to the activities of the emergency forces there, who are already very busy at this time."

Full article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4710497.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

And yet they will play in the San Siro on Champions League nights? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bull**** way to get out of friendlies they obviously have decided they don't want to do.
    They will be sued for this, and will lose.

p.s.
    What was thier punishment for the AC incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I was looking forward to seeing them at Carrow Road as apparently a full strength squad was going over. I'm lucky I didn't book my filghts yet so I'm only at a loss of £10 for the match ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Ridiculous behaviour. Its not like they were being asked to play in somewhere like Basra, Kabul or Limerick now was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I have to admit that Inter pulling out of these fixtures is not what you want to see from a major corporation like them.
    It shows that they have no grasp of what happened with the terrorist attacks and also they are giving in to the terrorists by pulling out.

Bin Laden will take incidents like this as a sign that his terrorist attacks are having a major impact. It will only encourage more of the same from the terrorists.

Its a shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

PHB wrote:
    Bull**** way to get out of friendlies they obviously have decided they don't want to do.
    They will be sued for this, and will lose.

p.s.
    What was thier punishment for the AC incident?
    I can't remember fully, but I think it was a suspended European ban and they awarded the match to AC Milan 5-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah the 2nd leg was 1-0 to Milan when the match was abandonded. The match was awarded as 3-0 to Milan and the tie was therefore 5-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reminds me of the quipe about the gearbox on an Italian tank...

Mike.

It's kinda ironic that it's Inter who are pulling out because of safety risks, they aren't exactly the poster-boys of good security :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Pigman II wrote:
    And yet they will play in the San Siro on Champions League nights? :confused:

how true!

this is purely down to milan not bothered playing. if this was a competitive game they would have to play. just like people in london have to go to work everyday regardless of what may or may not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

MAybe they are being honest and don't want to put extra strain on an already stretched security force?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

why would inter playing 4 matches be a strain on the forces?

in afew weeks the PL and championship kick off with a rake of matches being held in london during the season,should these too be abandoned for being a strain on a stretched security force as im sure they will still be investigating by the time the season begins

also inter play only a single game in london...

Staying at home will be no guarentee of safety, after all if one goes along with the theory the attacks are related to Iraq then bombs will go off in Italian cities sooner or later.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Our company have stopped sending us to london over the last couple of weeks as a result of the bombings. I am not too enthused about getting into london at the moment and I am sure that the players of the inter team may be worried aswell, I have no doubt that they will be sued for it though.

Could this be a ploy to get out of having to pay the congestion charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The tour is back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I was meant to go over **** that tbh, dont blame the Inter players, French team wouldnt play in Israel a few years back as they feared for their safety. Inter doing same thing there is no gaurantee them or anyone in London is safe.

kdjac

It seems some strong political pressure has been brought to bear on Inter. The minister for sport in the UK and Italy have been in talks to try and get the tour reinstated the Italian Football Federation were also involved.
    They have reconsidered and are flying to the UK today.
    It should never have come to that but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

KdjaC wrote:
    I was meant to go over **** that tbh, dont blame the Inter players, French team wouldnt play in Israel a few years back as they feared for their safety. Inter doing same thing there is no gaurantee them or anyone in London is safe.

kdjac
    Theres no gaurantee anybody is ever safe. Should we all just live in reinforced steel containers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Davei141 wrote:
    Theres no gaurantee anybody is ever safe. Should we all just live in reinforced steel containers?

No just not going to a city which has been attacked 9 times in 2 weeks would be sufficient.

kdjac

Inter will be swanning about in private coaches with police protection proberly while staying in country-house type hotels I expect. They'll be lucky to see any scruffy football fans outside the grounds never mind random bombers.

A few comments here suggest the terrorists have already won.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You're still a lot more likely to die by choking on your cereal in the morning than in any terrorist attack over here.

Good that Inter have reconsidered, having sporting events cancelled is the last thing London needs right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This is something for the Politics forum or somesuch but in some respects they have already, how many people are the police going to be allowed shoot dead before there is some censure on the police. Security at footy matches will be boosted or at least should be and if that happens then ticket prices going up to pay the police what they charge for protecting the grounds etc. This will be an odd season, I am sure that there are going to be a number of incidents at footy matches with fans being ejected, or shot at or told to lie on the ground or have a gun put to their head etc when they are queuing for games or whatnot. Will certainly be a strange one and I am not looking forward to away games this season in london or some of the games in Brum.

Simon Jordan the Palace chairman condemned Inters decision today which is fair enough as the people in london have no choice but to move on with their lives but i wonder did Simon Jordan take the bus or the tube/trains since the attacks????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

probably, you're gonna be a long time getting around london if you don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Fair play to Simon Jordan, sometimes he annoys a lot of people, me included, with what he says, but I wouldn't like to be the Inter official that has to get an earful off him in the Directors Box!

Inter are playing Leicester tonight.

Well Inter won 2-1 tonight. But it turns out that Inter said to their players before they left "if you feel uncomfortable travelling then don't go" So players like Edgar davids, Veron and Recoba (11 in all) haven't travelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

evilhomer wrote:
    Well Inter won 2-1 tonight. But it turns out that Inter said to their players before they left "if you feel uncomfortable travelling then don't go" So players like Edgar davids, Veron and Recoba (11 in all) haven't travelled.

Aye i noticed that myself was very disappointed by the amount of first team regulars taht didnt travel

van der meyl (spelling) who did he sign for ?

Andy Van Der Meyde? Hamburg wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Andy Van Der Meyde? Hamburg wasn't it?

bingo ! againanother overrated dutch man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

New twist to the Inter saga...
    Visit of Inter nearly called off - AGAIN

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, the proposed visit of Inter Milan has taken another bizarre turn. The whole visit was scuppered and half the senior pros at the club have decided not to travel after a spider was discovered in the club's official aeroplane. Adriano was seen running and screaming from the scene whilst Edgar Davids composed himself long enough to reveal, "It was very big and hairy. It looked at me and I'm going home."

This is just the latest twist after several Inter players had to pull out of the tour last night after failing to sleep due to hearing noises in the team hotel. One player, who asked to remain un-named, revealed "I thought it could be the bogey man. I can't play football in this frame of mind so I'm going home to recover".

Indeed it seems that their tour is cursed to failure - the team coach ran over a kitten on the way to the airport, causing manager Roberto Mancini to burst into tears and proclaim the whole tour null and void. "Today football must take a back seat" he begun before telling the coach driver to turn around and go back to the San Siro. It was only a particularly vicious phone call from Simon Jordan that persuaded the Inter board to change their mind.

If they can stay away from creepy-crawlies and things that go bump in the night, Inter should be in town on Sunday. Look out for their new kit; it's the familiar blue and black but with a yellow streak down the back.

Hehe, classic!

Advertisement