Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Only getting 350miles per tank in my 97 A3 1.8

Options
  • 23-07-2005 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I just bought this car, 90k on the clock, getting 350 miles max at driving no more than 60mph and the usual tipping around town, pretty moderate driving.

I just thought that I should be getting 450-ish per tank. (Tank is 55L)

97 A3 1.8 20v, 90k on clock.

Any possible improvements/suggestions I can make would be appreciated.
    Selling or changing to diesel not really an option atm.

Although if you interested, 7grand !! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats your mpg working out at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

55L is alot of weight to be carrying around if you think about it, why not Fil up 10 at a time of even 20.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tipping-around-town type driving is going to get you crap mileage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Getting about 29mpg at the moment I reckon.

I had a 2004 MkV Golf last year and was getting 550-560 miles from a 55L tank, probably not a fair comparison.

Just wondering if there could be anything wrong or something I could get done, ie: sparks, oil, timing, filters etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a 2003 Avensis 1.8 and get 350 out of a tank too. But the computer tells me i'm averaging 32mpg around town which is not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Might need a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

mrbungle wrote:
    Getting about 29mpg at the moment I reckon.

I had a 2004 MkV Golf last year and was getting 550-560 miles from a 55L tank, probably not a fair comparison.

Just wondering if there could be anything wrong or something I could get done, ie: sparks, oil, timing, filters etc ?

vw 1400s are tonnes more efficient than an 1800, id say thats par for the course tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When calculating mpg figures on a 'per tank' basis, don't forget that a 55 litre tank will have reserve of (depending on the car) anywhere between 5 and 10 litres. You're better off noting how much you can put in, plus the mileage at every fill-up in a notebook, and then using a spreadsheet to calculat your mpg on an ongoing basis. Some trip computers are notoriously inaccurate too, so this is the most accurate way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

55L is alot of weight to be carrying around if you think about it
    Not relative to the weight of the car. 55L of fuel only weighs about 40 kilos. Compared to the weight of the car, at let's say a tonne and a half at a guess, it might be easier to lose a few pounds off the waist or let the little monkeys walk to school. The latter saves fuel twice as there's less miniscule extra weight plus less tipping around town.

Advertisement