Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about Bike Test

Options
  • 23-07-2005 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, when you do your bike test (A license), do they check for tax and insurence?? Like do they ask for your insurence certificate or anything??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gline wrote:
    Just wondering, when you do your bike test (A license), do they check for tax and insurence?? Like do they ask for your insurence certificate or anything??
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

seamus wrote:
    Nope.

thats crazy, so if my insurence had lapsed, theyd never know?? and is there a mad backlog? I am going to apply now, living in Dublin 6, when is it likely i will get tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

gline wrote:
    thats crazy, so if my insurence had lapsed, theyd never know?? and is there a mad backlog? I am going to apply now, living in Dublin 6, when is it likely i will get tested?
    You're supposed to have your tax disc available for inspection-it doesn't have to fixed to the bike however. The backlog is the same as for cars-same queue you're in, sorry! Check www.drivingtest.ie for the waiting times for your test centre (I assume Orwell Road).

murphaph wrote:
    You're supposed to have your tax disc available for inspection-it doesn't have to fixed to the bike however. The backlog is the same as for cars-same queue you're in, sorry! Check www.drivingtest.ie for the waiting times for your test centre (I assume Orwell Road).

theres 1 in rathgar i see, so id be waiting close to 9 months. Crazy. Do they still have the system where you can get a letter from your job (or A job ;) ) to speed up the application.

Anyone here done the bike test. Is it hard at all?? Like the car test is pretty strict and fail rate is high. Is there a decent book i can buy on it to tell me the tips for passing it etc)??

gline wrote:
    theres 1 in rathgar i see, so id be waiting close to 9 months. Crazy. Do they still have the system where you can get a letter from your job (or A job ;) ) to speed up the application.
    It's still there, don't know how effective it is.
    gline wrote:
    Anyone here done the bike test. Is it hard at all?? Like the car test is pretty strict and fail rate is high. Is there a decent book i can buy on it to tell me the tips for passing it etc)??
    I'll be in the same boat as you in a few months. Gonna get a bike and get the test done asap. I believe the test is less involved in so far as it requires fewer manouevres than the B test. It'll still require careful preparation so I'd also appreciate any info on books etc. I'm gonna get some pretests before I attempt the test-they helped me pass the car test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You'll be waiting a lot more than 6 months..more like 16 months..a least that's how long I was waiting in the same area...finally got to sit it about a month ago only to find my provisional had expired after waiting so long!!...I applied for another test online on the same day..still havent received confirmation by post so presumably the application isnt even in the que over a month later...even though the money was taken from my card..cannot apply for another provisional until I receive it.
    The whole driving test wait farce gets my blood boiling just thinking about it!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

murphaph wrote:
    It's still there, don't know how effective it is.

I'll be in the same boat as you in a few months. Gonna get a bike and get the test done asap. I believe the test is less involved in so far as it requires fewer manouevres than the B test. It'll still require careful preparation so I'd also appreciate any info on books etc. I'm gonna get some pretests before I attempt the test-they helped me pass the car test.

let me know how u get on, as i will be applying next week probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

murphaph wrote:
    You're supposed to have your tax disc available for inspection-it doesn't have to fixed to the bike however.
    afaik it's an offence not to have a valid tax disc displayed on your vehicle.
    Gardai and parking wardens tend to turn a blind eye to bikes not displaying a tax disc coz they know that they're prone to being stolen by thieving scum.
    However, on the day of your test you should most certainly have your tax displayed on the bike. I have heard of people having it on their person being acceptable to the examiner, but if you get the wrong examiner then he may refuse to proceed with your test :( and in fairness he's quite entitled to do so. imho it's better not to take the risk, you'll have enough on your mind on the day of the test without worrying whether your particular tester will be alright about your tax not being on the bike.

Yes, you should also have valid insurance, apart from the obvious moral and legal reasons, specifically for the test, www.drivingtest.ie states:
    You should be present in the test centre before the appointed time of your test. If you are late, the test cannot be conducted and the fee will be forfeited.

The driver tester will check your provisional licence to establish that it:

* relates to you;
    * is current;
    * is for the correct category of vehicle.

You will be asked to read and sign a statement confirming that:

* the vehicle insurance cover is in place and is adequate.
    * your vehicle is in roadworthy condition - further information in relation to vehicle roadworthiness will be provided with your appointment letter.
    hth,
    causal

causal wrote:
    afaik it's an offence not to have a valid tax disc displayed on your vehicle. Gardai and parking wardens tend to turn a blind eye to bikes not displaying a tax disc coz they know that they're prone to being stolen by thieving scum.
    However, on the day of your test you should most certainly have your tax displayed on the bike.
    I just read it on Oasis;
    Current motor tax certificate must be displayed on your motorcycle or in your possession when you present for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

murphaph wrote:
    I just read it on Oasis;
    But in the Final Checks page of the drivingtest.ie website, it doesn't mention an exception for bikes:
    5. The following must be displayed on your vehicle-

1) Current valid motor tax disc
    You could argue that most of that page seems to relate to cars, but it does make specific reference to bikes in section 2 where it mentions restriction; but there is no specific mention of bikes in relation to tax discs.

It's not surprising for mixed signals to be coming from different sources of the government - especially in relation to bikes because they're generally an after thought. Like I said earlier, if it was me - I'd attach the tax disc to the bike - then you know for certain you're ok (as long as the tax disc is valid :D ).

causal

• Advertisement

but do they ask for your insurence certificate???

causal wrote:
    It's not surprising for mixed signals to be coming from different sources of the government - especially in relation to bikes because they're generally an after thought. Like I said earlier, if it was me - I'd attach the tax disc to the bike - then you know for certain you're ok (as long as the tax disc is valid
    I agree. It's the safest bet.

gline wrote:
    but do they ask for your insurence certificate???
    No, you have to sign a declaration to say that you have insurance.

Advertisement