Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need serious help

• 23-07-2005 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Okay i've just done a clear out of my wardrobe and now I have hardly any clothes left. Im totally unfashionable!

Would somebody please give me some suggestions about what to buy for everyday clothes and going out clothes because my wardrobe needs a total make over, i'm a disaster!

I'm heading to blanch tomorrow to start my spree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Are you male or female? What age are you? What sort of work do you do?

(This will make it easier to answer your questions).

I'd say buy whatever you think looks nice on and a few essentials that match with every thing like trousers, skirts*, t-shirts, jumpers, a coat etc.

*skirts for men not really in atm afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

simu wrote:
    *skirts for men not really in atm afaik.

damn.

bought myself a delightful little mini skirt the other day aswell.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I'm female 20, occupation: nurse. Tall, slim, long dark hair. (god I sound like i'm advertising myself :eek: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

So who will start the bidding at 20? do i hear 20? =))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nickibaby* wrote:
    I'm female 20, occupation: nurse. Tall, slim, long dark hair. (god I sound like i'm advertising myself :eek: )

Ok, I'll buy. How much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

This thread is worthless without pics.

lafortezza wrote:
    This thread is worthless without pics.

I dunno, "Tall, slim, long dark hair." I'm sold already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Nicki, don't mind these guys, they're pathetic. So she's a young nurse, get over yourselves.

Why don't you get some magazines like U magazine (sh*te mag, only worth buying to see what clothes are available in Irish stores!) and see what you like?

Blanch centre isn't too great for clothes at the moment, all the big stores (topshop, miss selfridge, vero moda and a-wear) are having sales which have been on for quite some time now so most of what's left is just crap.

Stick to town :)

eth0_ wrote:
    Nicki, don't mind these guys, they're pathetic. So she's a young nurse, get over yourselves.

You're just jealous because I turned you down.

eth0_ you were right I went up to blanch today and all they had was rubbish from the end of the sales. Pity I didn't read your post before I went. Gonna head into town during the week. Gonna buy U magazine also to get some ideas. Thanx for the help.

Any shops in particular you would recommend? From a bit outside Dublin and it's been awhile since i've been there.

• Advertisement

Some guys when they think of nurses see Lesley from Big Brother in her pvc fantasy nurses costume when the reality is quite different - ugly uniform and the job is sh*te (literally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Nicki - personally I like a-wear, vero moda, river island, and you'll always find something nice in Roches on Henry st, it;s brilliant since they re-built it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

"Next" on Grafton street do some nice clothes as well. A-wear can have lovely clothes or clothes you wouldnt be seen dead in - its a bit of a lottery but certainly worth a look! Oasis can be good, if a little pricey., and the same can be said for French connection (just dont wear any of their fcuk t-shirts...please!). Penny's is always good for a wander, got a pair of nice black trousers for work there recently for 6 euro! I'd suggest to try and get the basics first, and then expand from there: i.e. black trousers/skirt for going out, nice jacket for going out at night, casual jacket for going out during the day, winter coat (if you really want to think ahead!) for winter obviously - todays weather put it back into my mind! A few nice tops for wearing out, casual tops for wearing during the day, couple of pairs of jeans (different colours), 1 or 2 pairs of cords, combats, tracksuit, casual skirt ect. Few pairs of shoes, casual sandels, going out sandels, high heels, boots, runners, skate shoes...the list goes on! Different shops are good for different things, so you'll probably have to traipse around a bit over both sides of town. Good luck!

Thank you, looks like i'm gonna need some luck, i have so much to buy!

I hate them fcuk t-shirts - wouldn't be caught dead in them (i've not gone quite so unfashionable just yet!)

Not at all, you'd be suprised by how much of it you probably have already! Anyway its just a guide like... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Probably best to have browse round the main shops and try things on. Different things might be in fashion, but it should really be down to what looks good on you, and what you like wearing. So pick a variety of outfits, take them into the changing rooms and see what you like, then go from there :D
    Town is best because there's so many stores and you won't have to go far before finding more, but go at the right time. Saturday afternoon for instance you'll be waiting for a changing room and queueing a lot. Town on a saturday afternoon is bleeeeghhhh.

eth0, relax... :p

Yeah gonna go mid-week.

I shop in kays, family album. Do yous know of any other mail order catalogues? (i love having clothes but HATE shopping, very unusual girly i know)

(Simply Be and Oxendales are 2 big for my size)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't particularly like shopping either... was in Dundrum looking for shoes during the week and got so sick of looking at shoes that I wound up in the O2 shop looking for stuff for my laptop...

*starts a shopping-hatred support group*

I find that whenever go shopping in Dundrum I get sucked in by the Sony centre! Mmmmmm...6 megapixel digital cameras :D

I do like Aldo though for some reason, it has all these really cute little purses and necklaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i was in dundrum recently too.
    tried all the shops and the only thing i managed to find were some nice fitting jeans with a horrible drainpipe leg and some underwear.
    i couldn't believe it, so many clothes and there was nothing nice!
    i tried on a piece of clothing which i couldn't figure out at all. was it a top? was it a dress? i certainly couldn't tell, and i felt too stupid to ask anyone.

in short, shopping is a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Buy that book with the BBC series Trinny and Susannah What not to wear. I swear after reading it, I chucked out all the crap which I really like but just doesn't suit me . . . don't buy anything unless it flatters your natural body shape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

eth0_ wrote:

I agree!

By the way ladies, I'm a six-foot-two tanned fireman/doctor (and part-time underwear model) on temporary shore leave from the navy...

stop sniggering at the back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I dont think that was the sound of sniggering.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sico wrote:
    By the way ladies, I'm a six-foot-two tanned fireman/doctor (and part-time underwear model) on temporary shore leave from the navy...

Phwoar

A/S/L?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Syle Advisor in the A-Wear in Dundrum. http://www.awear.ie/

*don't work for them, but it sounds like a great idea. Oh and this is if you are in the Dublin area.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭karina62

What kind of clothes do you like...? :confused::confused::confused:

Mise?

I don't really know what I like that's the problem, i'm totally clueless regards fashion at the moment. I've become so dull and boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Me too... *is in a t-shirt/baggy jeans/skate shoes rut*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Me too... *is in a t-shirt/baggy jeans/skate shoes rut*

that's one hell of a rut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

But it's a GOOD rut says me in Paul Frank t-shirt baggy jeans and Enties!! :DI would say where the clothes you like - don't worry about them not being in fashion - unless they're 20 years old or something!! Next has some nice stuff and you can even buy it online and have it delivered to one of their stores ;)http://www.nextdirectory.ie

Advertisement