Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Clubs- what should i buy

• 23-07-2005 4:21pm

I'm a high handicapper and i want a new set of clubs. My budget is €200-€300. What should i buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If you live in the dublin area there is plenty of driving ranges that provide demo clubs to hit. Id advise going to try them out, then when you find a nice set check out ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm a complete n00b thinking of spending a similar amount - so your advice seems reasonable only that I'll have no idea what I'm swinging TBH.

But I'd like to get a reasonable quality starting set that I can build on as/if my game develops and demands it. So the OPs question is repeated ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pick up a nice second hand set or something. Dont splash out on like mp32's that you wont be able to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

If you like any of the callaway clubs you should check out the callaway preowned website. They have loads of sets in all price ranges and conditions. I got a set of Big Berthas "Like New", they would have been a shop demo set, a couple of clubs hit a few times. To be honest there wasn't a mark on them. They were the 2003 models, the new model had just come out.

I rang Callaway direct to make sure it was a legit site and it is. With post and packing they cost me 450 yo yos, including a white hot 5 putter (a little more used) ordered on a friday had them on the monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

I would agree with trying out demo irons in driving ranges. I was 70% sure I was going to buy the Taylor Made os2 on ebay, just on peoples recommendations. I said I'd go along to the Fingal driving range and try out a few 7 irons of the demos.

I tried the TM os2, the Wilson Deep Red 2 and the new pings (i was just curious there - no intention of buying) and I think a Hippo.

I was impressed with the TM - better than my own 7 iron I was using, but the Wilson was equally as good. The Wilson seemed to be more forgiving - for me anyway and I loved the feel of the grip. The Hippo wasn't anything special and the Ping was tough to hit.

In the end I checked out the Wilson Deep Red 2 on ebay - it was a good bit cheaper the the TM, so I bought a set a few days ago for €200 (incl postage and packaging from America). Hopefully the shipping won't take too long and might avoid the tax. But the same set in Ireland could be up to €500.

I'd really recommed testing and ebaying. Hopefully all will be hassle free for me. If only they sold a consistent swing on e-bay..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

just another point Im also a high hadicapper, Ive noticed a few similar high hadicappers here all talking about getting new equipment, as I did myself about a year ago.

The best bit of advice I can give is get some lessons. I have recently gotten a few lessons and you would be surprised at how much you are doing wrong and how simple and easier the golf swing is when you are properly shown.

i have yet to put my new swing to the test with a full game, but just from hitting down the range and chipping out the back I can see a major difference. I don't expect it to suddenly halve my HC but I hope it will knock off a few shots. Well worht the money and will improve your game more than a new set of clubs ( although a new/decent set can give a bit of extra confidence).

Advertisement