Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband newbie??

• 23-07-2005 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Ok heres the deal I am set to go live Monday or Tuesday wit BT Broadband. Last night I bought myself a wireless adsl router. Now that I have the wireless adsl router soon as I go live Monday or Tuesday I dont want the hassle of waiting for their modem to come. Can some explain briefly what I have to do get online ie: settings and such like. Much appreciated lads.

Regards

Willem D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Willem D wrote:
    Ok heres the deal I am set to go live Monday or Tuesday wit BT Broadband. Last night I bought myself a wireless adsl router. Now that I have the wireless adsl router soon as I go live Monday or Tuesday I dont want the hassle of waiting for their modem to come. Can some explain briefly what I have to do get online ie: settings and such like. Much appreciated lads.

Regards

Willem D

Well presumably a manual came with the router (it may be on the cd)? That will tell you how to set it up and after that you will need your sign on name and password. But if it is just a router as distinct from an all in one (with modem) then you are going to have to wait on the modem to come from BT. It would have been helpful if you had posted the model number of what you purchased.

The following are the settings most commonly required for setting up:
    The WAN/Modem settings for Broadband are as follows:

Mode: Routing
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplex: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

And BT's broadband support pages are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have a D-Link adsl G604t wireless adsl router.

Willem D wrote:
    I have a D-Link adsl G604t wireless adsl router.

Well I have given you the settings you are likely to need and full information including the product manual and install guide are here.> You now need your sign on name and password from BT.

I see I see, so it should be fairly easy from then once I get my username and password, coupled with your settings.

Willem D wrote:
    I see I see, so it should be fairly easy from then once I get my username and password, coupled with your settings.

In fact you may know your sign on/ password already. Don't BT agree a sign on and password with you in advance?

You will also need an ethernet cable to access the router through your browser. But as far as I can see you get one with the dlink anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dub45 wrote:
    In fact you may know your sign on/ password already. Don't BT agree a sign on and password with you in advance?
    Thats right. You choose you username and password when you sign up. Just add "@iolbb" or "@btbb" at the end of your username, enter your password and your in :)

dub45 wrote:

You will also need an ethernet cable to access the router through your browser. But as far as I can see you get one with the dlink anyways.

Why would i need the ethernet cable if its all wireless, sorry in advance for naivity.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Because usually you need to configure the router and its wireless settings before you can access it wirelessly.

The computer seems to be talking to the wireless router if you know what I mean. Its picking it up no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

it will talk away but if "it no speak ahh the right languauge" it will speak but no understand !!

so go into the DLink router settings and add the seetings you were given m8!!

D

• Advertisement

So what you are saying is hook it up to the pc via the ethernet cable and put in the settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

The dlink will tell you how to get into the settings read the DLink manual and put the WAN settings give by Dub45

yes the lan first in the main port, set up the settings and then take out the lan and try it wirelessly !

Just like to say to you guys thanks very much for the help. Oh ya broadband rules oh yah. 2 argous long years waiting for this moment.

Willem D wrote:
    Just like to say to you guys thanks very much for the help. Oh ya broadband rules oh yah. 2 argous long years waiting for this moment.

And remember lots of time and trouble can be saved if you RTFM!!!
    :)

Advertisement