Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia Modem

• 23-07-2005 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I have ordered broadband from Eircom and they will be sending me everything out in the mail next week.

I was just wondering about the WiFi modem that i will be getting...will they be giving me an adapter with the modem too? Or will i have to get this myself?

I'm a bit clueless about wireless because i have never used it before, but will using this modem that they are sending out decrease the speed of broadband in any way towards using a basic phone line modem?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

gazza22 wrote:
    I have ordered broadband from Eircom and they will be sending me everything out in the mail next week.

I was just wondering about the WiFi modem that i will be getting...will they be giving me an adapter with the modem too? Or will i have to get this myself?

I'm a bit clueless about wireless because i have never used it before, but will using this modem that they are sending out decrease the speed of broadband in any way towards using a basic phone line modem?

Thanks

No eircom Dont supply an adapter but dont buy one from eircom you will get one cheaper even in PC world

you dont have to use the modem/router wirelessly you can plug it into the ethernet port on your PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Oh that's grand, i thought that the Netopia modem they were sending me out was just WiFi and i had no choice but to go wireless

If i wanted to extend the wiring from the modem which will be downstairs to upstairs, will normal phone line do without affecting the quality of the connection? Or do you have to get different line?

Any recommendations for a wireless card for the Netopia? How much are they?

Appreciate the help thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

No if the modem is downstairs PC upstairs you would need an ethernet cable if you want to just use phone cable put the modem upstairs as well and run the phone cable up to it from wall socket

it may affect your broadband depending on the lenght of the run and quality of the cable etc

any 802.11 adaptor will work with it try http://www.marxcomputers.ie/ you could get a PCI card or a USB adapter both same price from there

Ok thanks cdebru..will check that out

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

gazza22 wrote:
    Oh that's grand, i thought that the Netopia modem they were sending me out was just WiFi and i had no choice but to go wireless

If i wanted to extend the wiring from the modem which will be downstairs to upstairs, will normal phone line do without affecting the quality of the connection? Or do you have to get different line?

Any recommendations for a wireless card for the Netopia? How much are they?

Appreciate the help thanks...

If you are getting a wi fi modem then why not connect the pc by wireless to the modem? Seems a better prospect than running cable all over the place.

A typical wireless card is going to cost you up to 50 euros.

• Advertisement

Yeah i'm not going to use the line option, think i will get a wireless card next week, i will drop into pc world and see what they have got

For some reason i just thought there would be more problems using wireless then the conventional eternet port but i have done some research, seems fine

gazza22 wrote:
    Yeah i'm not going to use the line option, think i will get a wireless card next week, i will drop into pc world and see what they have got

For some reason i just thought there would be more problems using wireless then the conventional eternet port but i have done some research, seems fine

If you have a choice the Netgear card is worth a look as the software with it is very good I think.

dub45 wrote:
    If you have a choice the Netgear card is worth a look as the software with it is very good I think.

Thanks man

Belkin Card

I might pick this one up today...would it be okay?

gazza22 wrote:
    Belkin Card

I might pick this one up today...would it be okay?

That one is for a laptop. Are you not looking for one for your pc?

• Advertisement

Oh no, i have a laptop

gazza22 wrote:
    Oh no, i have a laptop

Well then that one will do fine. Are you sure that there is no wireless facility already on the laptop? Lots of recent ones come with wireless capabilities.

okay that's sorted then...i will prob pick that card up today.

Nah it's not a celeron, doesn't have any WiFi capabilities

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3090785&postcount=1

Thanks for the help anyway...

Advertisement