Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neurotica (Kelly Shafer lead vocalist)

Options
  • 23-07-2005 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Apart from his tryout with Velvet Revolver when they were looking for a replacement for Axl Rose and found Scott Weiland, Shafer and his now defunt metal band (the first and only band signed to WWF's Smackdown Records in July 2001) were, as far as I was concerned, an excellent band and I dont know how anyone didnt give these lads a record deal afterwards, or if not, how Shafer is still out of work!

For those who have forgotten.....heres a trip down memory lane!
    Neurotica by Neurotica (2001) Smackdown Records, not to be confused with a crap Oasis knock off of the same name

Sounds like a bombastic mix of pissed-off 80's Motley metal meets the Union Underground - Lane Staley, dicomboobilation of sorts. I like the vocals a lot. There is tremendous amounts of attitude. It's strong with lots of style. Kelly Shaefer (wasn't he in the techno-metal band Atheist?) in full form here, track one (Ride Of Your Life), shows his scat vocal abilities ala Steven Tyler, as well as screeching banshee vocal, then down to almost a kind of Harry Connick, Jr. vibrato vocal. Strange.

There is some Alice In Chain harmony happening here. It's nice to hear good vocals on a metal release. It's a refreshing, on top of the heap of cookie monster vocals. that you'll hear at 2002 OzzFestivals across the nation this summer - probably coming close to the end of the summer leg of the Sabbath fest by the time you read this.

Even guitar solos make it on this record. There are not too many solos any more in the world of NU-metal and that's ok with me. It's nice to hear some shredding once in a while on this release, but definitely not overkill on the dated formula of chorus into the guitar hair shock frenzy guitars. Remember the band from japan...no...not Loudness, but a band Gene Simmons produced called Ezo with great guitars, reminding me of that record in style and tone in the solos.

Track 4 and the first single from this release, 'All My Friends Crush You', is very slamming with heavy as **** old school metal arena show tempo, meets the stop-start riffs that make you want to move. It's a stand-out track. It's truly good stuff through out.

The self-titled release is on the WWF's Smackdown Records. Who would've thought that the wrestling scene would be so involved in the metal scene? That the WWF would start a label? ...And have metal music as a way to kick off their campaigns for new wrestlers? I never saw it coming!!!

There is a strong effort here from Shawn Bowen and Chris Rollo on guitars, Jason West on drums and Migwell Przybyl on bass. Eleven songs are here. They are well-rounded, freaky, but not disconnected, with strong musicianship. I hope it sells a million! It ultimately equals good songs.

Another track - Up The Hay - RULES!!!! Go buy this CD!!!! (if you can find it!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

BIG MACHINE frontman Kelly Shaefer (ex-ATHEIST/NEUROTICA) has issued the following update:

"BIG MACHINE's NYC debut August 3rd at CBGB's is listed as a "Buzz" gig by Industry Insider Hits Daily Double. Big Machine is playing with New Jersey's RANA. BM goes on at 8:00 p.m. sharp. This is the much anticipated debut showcase for the band and the buzz is big!! Many are expected to attend. This is the most musically decadent rock band to emerge in years! If you are a fan of AC/DC you MUST check this out four tunes can be heard at the new website, a brand new flash website was launched today www.bigmachinerocks.com music, pics, info, tour dates etc.

Response to the ATHEIST catalog being re-issued is bananas!!! I wish to thanks everyone for all the great letters and support on these, Relapse has done an incredible job on this package, it must be seen to be appreciated. The sounds been re-mastered on all of the records, new liner notes from numerous industry folk, it's just amazing, it hits the streets in sept visit www.relapse.com to pre order the limited edition vinyl box set, there are only 1000 they are going fast at 35 bucks! The three-disc set will be available individually as well through Relapse in September.

I will be producing the upcoming recording session with Steve Flynn's (former Atheist drummer) new band GNOSTIC for my company Starrfactory Records, this will mark the return of one of metal's sickest players. Steve Flynn has not recorded since his work on the now legendary 1991's Unquestionable Presence album from Atheist (being re-issued September 13th) Steve is in top form and this demo is gonna set the bar that much higher in the drumming world at minimum, the other players are strong and i think people will be really suprised by what they hear, we plan on shopping the demo, interested parties contact starrfactory@verizon.net for info on the band etc.

Also I have gone live with www.kellyshaefer.com it is still developing, but right now it has info and music from all my bands

Atheist, Neurotica, UNHEARD, Big Machine, plus you can check out the tunes i did with VELVET REVOLVER, and my DROWNING POOL auditions as well. Artwork, Lyrics, Press, Pics, a blog and my complete Ozzfest diary from the Neurotica tour in 2002 !

And I am proud to report that I am gonna be a papa!! Me and my fiancee Jesika are expecting a girl our first! Skye Lilly Shaefer will debut live at Sarasota Memorial Hospital on November 26th. What a difference a year makes.

And one last thing in about 2 weeks the brand new Official Atheist website will be launching www.officialatheist.com and it will be chock full of goodies for all you Atheist fans, dont forget to get the re-issues! Cheers!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

thanks. thats cool. i didnt realise he was down to the last 4 in VR, he would have made a cool lead singer. they are class songs, he should release them with vr as a kinda EP or something, for Velvet Revolvers fans as well as showcasing himself, cause they're actually good songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

they are good alright,i prefer scott on vocals but its still fairly cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah it's ok, definatly stronger than Scott but sounds like Snakepit (lyrics and style wise)

He has a Layne Staley thing going on though.

ya it really sounds very snakepity, and they were not great.well the second album is tripe anyway.five o clock is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I actually taught that the second SS album, Aint Life Grand, was actually better than the first, only because the first is literally Guns N Roses without Axl Rose, i.e. Duff, Slash, Izzy, Matt and even Dizzy and Gilby manage to get themselves on that record at some points! I always taught the fact he went on the road with a different band was a hinderence to the first record, even though he would have never managed to go on the road with GNR minus Axl under the guise of SS (or would he?). Anyways, the second album had more depth, it was of better quality I felt.

i dunno i bare it some contemp because i swaped an original print of hinky dory(bowie) for a promo of it.listened to it once and felt like crying.still at least i still have my david bowie - david bowie original print.

Advertisement