Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BelongTo gay group - would you recommend it?

Options
  • 23-07-2005 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Watsup! So I've heard a lot about the BelongTo youthgroup in Capel Street. Some friends have gone there in the past, but recently they say it's gone downhill - bitchy and unfriendly, just a place to find a boyfriend or whatever...

Those of you who go to it, what do you think of it? Would you recommend it to a 19-year-old who isn't exactly into the gay scene yet? All comments/advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've heard only good things about it, I know a couple of guys who attend and if they're attidudes towards their sexuality reflects belongto's influence, I highly recommend them.

I've been told (i'm too old to attend) its a nice place to meet guys of your own age group, to hang out for a coffee and chat, they also have events and speakers.

Sounds good to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Yeah i know a few people who is members they said one of the best things theyve ever done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've only ever heard good things about it too

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BeLonG To Youth

Hi Eskimo,

We try to make sure that BeLonG To is as friendly and welcoming place as possible for all - and we think that by and large it really is.

We come up with an agreement with everyone at each meeting where all present sign up to being open, welcoming and respectful - and over the years we feel that this has helped create a really nice environment. If this doesn't happen - and if people are not feeling welcome they can talk to Almha & Myself (Michael) - the two youth workers, or one of the youth leaders (there are 2 on at each meeting).

It can be difficult to come along to a gay youth group for the first time and everyone is nervous when they do, but because of this members are really positive about welcoming people. At each meeting there are 2 people who's job it is to make sure that people there for the first time are ok and comfortable.

I see that you have signed up to the BeLonG To Forums but haven't posted yet - why not go on there and ask any questions you have and members of the BeLonG To groups can answer them.

There are plenty of people your age at the project and part of what we do is provide an alternative to the scene. You might find it good and helpful.

We have worked with hundreds of young people over the past few years and this is the first negative comment about the project that we have come accross. If your friends come to us and let us know if they are having particular issues we will do our best to sort them out. Also I think that the project has been so positive for so many and is worth checking out for yourself.
    You can also email us directly on belongto@eircm.net

looking forward to talking to you

Michael, BeLonG To Youth Project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Thanks, Michael. Obviously I'm delighted if most people don't find it to be a negative experience.

I signed up to the forums a few days ago but I haven't received the activation email yet so I can't post! :)

I'm definitely thinking about going to the group, starting in the autumn. The positives I've heard about it far outway the negatives - by, like, a million. But it still was enough to put me off, y'know?

Still, no harm in trying! So you'll prob see me there sometime in the very near future and I look forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

eskimo wrote:
    Watsup! So I've heard a lot about the BelongTo youthgroup in Capel Street. Some friends have gone there in the past, but recently they say it's gone downhill - bitchy and unfriendly, just a place to find a boyfriend or whatever...

Well in fairness, if your friend when out with someone he or she met through belong to, and then had a split, and thats how the split went, then theres little the organisaion can do. They can't stop people ending uptogether, and they can't stop people being bitchy and unfriendly about it. Something thats part of life.

Hey Eskimo - I've activated your account on belongto.org there now.
    I know the way hearing anything at all negative about a group can put ya off going - but it's great to hear ya prob come along one Sunday - you might really like it and get alot from it.
    talk soon, Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Pout of interest, what exactly do you do in these groups, and how is the organisation funded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Hey Eskimo - I've activated your account on belongto.org there now.
    I know the way hearing anything at all negative about a group can put ya off going - but it's great to hear ya prob come along one Sunday - you might really like it and get alot from it.
    talk soon, Michael

Could you activate my account, too, please?
    I've been thinking of going to the BelongTeen group sometime, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Is it a casual thing; where you can just pop in for a minute and then leave, or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

if you want to find out what the group does why don't you go to it's website and fourms where all that information will be rather then expecting Michael to get into answering your indivual questions here

http://www.belongto.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Or even give Michael a ring if you have questions?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Hi Daelus, I've activated your account now. BeLonG Teen is really casual - it's on one the first and third Sun of each month at 12.30 in OUThouse - there's a map on the home page of www.belongto.org - see 'find us' at the top. Maybe also have a look around the site and ask other BeLonG Teen members about it too.

Hi LiouVille - we do different things at the diff groups - we do up 6 week plans with the youth leaders from each group and what happens at each meeting is decided then. At the moment we are doing an LGBT history& culture project so at the main Sunday meeting last week we watched 'Did anyone notice us?' a documentary about LGBT people on RTE since the 1970's - and the film maker came to talk about it. This Sunday we are having a special showing of a film from the Lesbian & Gay Film Festival - it'll be shown on a screen in OUThouse just for the group, next week we are planning a picnic and games day in the park.

In BeLonG Teen (the group for 14-18 year olds) we're planning on making a film and/or musical. For the past few meetings we've been watching clips from musicals (Rocky Horror, Cabaret, Chicago etc...) - then having a laugh acting them out (with costumes and sets!) and filming it. In August we will start doing some photography workshops at BeLonG Teen

The Young Women's Group - which meets each Thurs at 7pm - has just begun, so is still in the set-up phase. The first thing the group is planning on doing is creating an LBT young women's magazine or booklet.

Outside of these groups we also run programmes such as - the history and culture one (on Mons and Weds), a Well-Being Course; Drama; Dance; Poster&Booklet Making...throughout the year - just depending on what people want to do

We are core funded by the Dept of Education - who pay for staff cost (for 2 youth workers) and admin and apply for funding to other agencies for different projects. Also Veda has been brill and run two fundraisers for us and the Gloria Choir have been great in raising money for us too. - see http://www.belongto.org/html/about_funding.php

I hope this answers any questions.
    Also - just to say - thanks to everyone on this site who has been really supportive of BeLonG To for ages now.
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

I was seriously considering going to belong2 last summer. I guess my reasons for wanting to go were because I was not involved in the gay scene and wanted to make some friends who were gay.

I ended up not going to belong2 last summer, mainly cos I was too chicken.

Anyway, over the winter, I finally plucked up the courage to go to the LGBT society in my college(TCD) and I can say without hesitation that it was probably the best thing I have done in the last 12 months.

The descriptions here of belong2 seem to closely resemble what the LGBT society in college is like. Therefore, I can only imagine that the benefits of it are pretty similar.

I guess my only real advice is for you to think about what it would be like to get to know some regular gay guys and girls of your own age. If you keep these benefits in mind, it may be easier for you to make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jent_ie

I'm a member of Belongto myself - my names Jamie, joining Belongto was one of the best desicions I ever made!!
    Sure taking the big step of walking in the door is way scary but once ya get over it then you fit right in!!
    As for the people who say its just a way to find a boyfriend/girlfriend or hook up...sometimes yes, I myself met my boyfriend there and we have been together now for nearly a year..so its not all bad, and it's not seedy or whatever lol :)
    (forgets to mention the prostitution...JOKE!!)
    As for the bitchiness, it all depends on the individual people who come, but bullying and discrimination is not tolerated!!
    History & Culture - a current programme
    Trip to Sweden - as part of the H&C programme
    Working with Veda & Kiwi Mel on a major Pride performance
    Belongteen making a major art presentation on the week of Pride
    Transgender meetings/talks
    Young Womens Group
    Under 18s club nights/drag shows
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    and lots more...

Speaking of Under 18s club night - there is another one coming up soon

Yes Belongteeny Bopp returns
    The nite of the LC results!!
    and its gonna be bigger, wilder and badder than ever before
    *waits as everyone gasps at the screen* :D
    for more info, ya can check out QueerID, or email me or belongto

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Am I the only one who has persistant Father Noel Furlong visions everything this group gets mentioned ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Yeah, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I've nothing much to add to this thread other than a mjor thumbs up for BelongTo. From what I've read here and on the BelongTo website this seems like such a great resource for gay youth in Dublin. You young uns don't know how lucky you are! Seriously though, it's great to hear such positive feedback and to be made aware of the resources that are now outh their for young gay people. Kepp up the good work guys.

Advertisement