Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie in bust-up with Keane

• 24-07-2005 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Fergie in bust-up with Keane

Jonathan Northcroft in Hong Kong
    MANCHESTER UNITED’S preparations for the new season have been plunged under a cloud as it emerged Sir Alex Ferguson and his captain, Roy Keane, have had a public falling out. Ferguson and Keane had a furious row on the practice ground during the first week of United’s pre-season training programme in Portugal. The spat, witnessed by other players, has led to an estrangement between Keane and his manager.

The row centred on living arrangements in the Algarve, where Ferguson began United’s pre-season by taking his players on a week-long training break. Players’ families were invited along and prior to meeting up with the squad Keane had been holidaying with his wife and five children at his own villa nearby. When training began, Keane moved his family into the complex United had hired for the week but was unhappy to find arrangements there unsuitable for his young children. He moved his family back into their holiday villa — to the United manager’s considerable annoyance — and an argument ensued.

The revelation cast new light on Keane’s absence from United’s eight-day tour of Asia. Though the official reason for him not travelling with the squad to Hong Kong, China and Japan has been given as the lingering effects of a hamstring strain suffered in Portugal, Keane took part in a full training session with teammates on Thursday, 24 hours before the United party set off for the Far East. He did not appear to be suffering too many physical problems as he worked out with what colleagues described as vintage intensity, having recovered sufficiently to stay behind to complete hard running exercises afterwards.

There is now speculation that Keane’s injury, which caused him to miss friendlies against Clyde and Peterbrough, may not have been serious enough to cause him to miss the tour. That he has remained in Carrington training with United’s youngsters will inevitably be seen as Ferguson’s way of putting the midfielder in his place. Despite his almost boundless admiration for his captain, Ferguson has never brooked dissent from any player. Keane, for his part, was willing to travel if required on Friday, though he had reservations about the effect a 12-hour flight might have on his muscle strain, given his rehabilitation was incomplete.

The volcanic nature of both men’s personalities has led inevitably to fall-outs before, which have always been resolved, and there is no suggestion this one is serious enough to cause any damage that cannot be repaired to their 12-year working relationship. It is understood that their major differences have now been resolved, but tensions remain between the pair, who have spoken to one another only infrequently since.

Sources close to both men expect them to put the matter aside when United return from the Far East in eight days. But resentments may linger.

Ferguson, recently, has been speaking about signing a top-class “experienced midfielder” and his failure over the past few years to do exactly that has displeased Keane. The captain prioritises United’s cause over his own and has been urging Ferguson to find a suitable successor to himself for some time. He confronted the manager over the matter recently. Keane has just one year remaining on his United contract and is known to be considering retiring after next summer’s World Cup, in which he hopes to appear for the Republic of Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

hmmm , not the best of starts to a season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sounds like bull**** to me, all extrapolation and considering we didn't hear anything about this when they were actually in portugal, it makes little sense.
    I'd imagine it'll be refuted by tomrrow or the next day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Actually its all over red issue so there is at least some truth in it.

Ever hear the expression no smoke without fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jank wrote:

Ever hear the expression no smoke without fire?

Ever hear the expression paper doesn't refuse ink.

It's a non story.Thay had a disagreement about the training trip to Portugal. it's all sorted now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

What is it with Keane and South East Asia? ;)
    Maybe he just doesn't like that part of the world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The Muppet wrote:
    Ever hear the expression paper doesn't refuse ink.

What about :

"There are none so blind as those that will not see "

I think the current United setup is a hotbed of discontent. Fergusun has created a niche of superstars around him and now is having problems satisfying their bloated egos. Keane sees this I reckon and want out but his loyalty to the club and fans won't let him just walk without seeing it right first.

The next couple of years will be very interesting for Manchester United, with very little homegrown talent emerging the close knit highly successful team of the 90's will never be realised again.

ZEN

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Skysports are running the story now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As are the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4711969.stm

Its actually interesting as keane has become a bit of divisive figure in Utd recently. He has benifited most from their new 4-5-1 formation while Ruud and others have been giving out about it for a long time now.

There seems to be a lot of factions appearing at Utd nowdays further displayed by the Rio, Rooney and Ronaldo incident last week regarding the 8 hour bus drive for a pre season freindly!

No doubt that the papers make the most of it but my original point of wisdom still stands!

EDIT: Zener has it spot on! Too many egos in that team. Rio wants to be the next captian like, and 100k aint good enough for him. Speaks volume of the attitudes of the current team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not sure how much I'd read into this. Papers are obviously trying to be sensational about it, as they do. If there was a disagreement I think it will be sorted.
    As for that so-called 'incident' when Rio, Rooney and Ronaldo rented a car last week to drive home, that was a nothing story.

ZENER wrote:
    What about :

"There are none so blind as those that will not see "

I think the current United setup is a hotbed of discontent. Fergusun has created a niche of superstars around him and now is having problems satisfying their bloated egos. Keane sees this I reckon and want out but his loyalty to the club and fans won't let him just walk without seeing it right first.

LOL so Keane want's to leave united but his "EGO" wont let him. I"ll have some of whatever your having please.

From what I have heard on this it's similar to the Saipan incident. Fergie organise a half training half holiday trip to Portugal for the players and thier families. As we all know Keane has no time for this type of setup and let Fergie know his feelings on the issue. The media get wind of it and blow it out of all porpotionand . These are two strong minded individulas but IMO Fergie and Keane respect each other too much to let such an issue damage their relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I read in the Independants account of the incident today that Keane plans on retiring at the end of his contract, which is the end of this season?

Is this true?

The Muppet wrote:
    LOL so Keane want's to leave united but his "EGO" wont let him. I"ll have some of whatever your having please.

Just what I'd expect from a Star reader !!! Take everything out of context. :rolleyes:

I read some of the papers today (Sunday Indo) and I agree this incident on it's own seems insignificant and could be a good thing in the long run (making up it the best part . . . ) but I stand by my belief that there is a niche group forming that will ultimately destroy the team. Keane is a well respected leader of the team and he has always made himself so by using his qualities (charisma, strength and achievement) for the good of everyone. Rio sees himself as more important than Keane and may attempt a coup with the impressionable Rooney and Ronaldo in tow.

As I said the bones of the team has always been the 6 or 7 lads that emerged from the youth setup, slowly that group is being diluted and destroyed and along with it the team spirit and hence Fergusons hold on them. A new style of leader is needed or will be needed in the next couple of years and not and old school type but, dare I say it, a Murinho type.
    The new players won't stand for fergies hairdrier style of management.

Also "The Muppet" you yourself have never been shy about reminding everyone when the opportunity arises that Keane was right in Saipan, His "outburst" led to major changes in the way the Irish team was treated.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    Rio sees himself as more important than Keane and may attempt a coup with the impressionable Rooney and Ronaldo in tow.

Coup :confused: ??? Are we still talking football. Is this the same Rio that is halfway out the door at United? How do you know Rooney and Ronaldo are impressionable?

I have to laugh at Bandwagon Supporters writing off the team before the season even starts.

The Indo Eh, Impressive. :p

The Muppet wrote:
    Coup :confused: ??? Are we still talking football. Is this the same Rio that is halfway out the door at United? How do you know Rooney and Ronaldo are impressionable?

I have to laugh at Bandwagon Supporters writing off the team before the season even starts.

The Indo Eh, Impressive. :p

I always believe the argument is lost when low digs like "bandwagon supporter" are levelled, usually means the point of the discussion is lost on someone.

I'm beginning to wonder if this incident even occured at all. All the papers are carrying different versions and not many of these versions actually tally up.

As for Rooney and Ronaldo they're both young lads aspiring to their idols . . of course they're impressionable, we all were at their age.

Rio on the other hand will still be fodder for the press until he signs a contract whether it be for united or chelsea or TNS !!

In my opinion it's United who've brought this one on themselves this time. Rio is known to want a move to foriegn fields before he finishes his career, he has said he will stay till the end of his contract with United so maybe he simply doesn't want to sign an extension. It wasn't Rio who went to them I believe but they who went to him to get him to extend the contract. The problem now is that with Glazier in charge and no shareholders to appease we may never know the truth. I reckon 90% of this is just the Star er I mean the papers ;)

United of course now need to make a decision as to whether or not to capitalise on him to make good their investment. Oh how I love this time of year !

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I read in the Independants account of the incident today that Keane plans on retiring at the end of his contract, which is the end of this season?

Is this true?
    Earlier in the season he stated he would retire at the end of this coming season, but then he changed his mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

ZENER wrote:
    I'm beginning to wonder if this incident even occured at all. All the papers are carrying different versions and not many of these versions actually tally up.

Its United and their news sells newspapers, no point in them all saying the same thing. I would imagine they all originated from the same source but all got a diferent spin. Storm in a teacup, an immense respect exists between Fergie and Keane, and they probably had a few words, not a bad thing as it demostrates a desire to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

TheMonster wrote:
    teacup

Don't mention that word and Fergie in the same sentence! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Shock Shock, its all crap:
    Manager Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed claims that captain Roy Keane was axed from Manchester United's Far East tour because of disciplinary reasons.
    Newspaper reports had alleged that Ferguson and the Republic of Ireland midfielder had a bust-up at United's recent training camp in Portugal.

But Keane's adviser Michael Kennedy said the 33-year-old was absent from the tour because of a hamstring injury.

And Ferguson said: "Roy Keane is injured, it is as simple as that."

Ferguson added: "You cannot travel if you are injured. There is nothing else to say."

Keane's adviser Kennedy said at the weekend: "He remained in Manchester to continue his treatment for a hamstring injury.

"Any disagreement he may have had with his manager is a private matter and will not be the subject of comment."

It had been alleged that Keane was annoyed over the fact that families were allowed to travel with the players to the training camp.

Reports suggested he was angry he had cut short a family holiday to attend the camp - only to find out it was a relatively informal affair.

The row shows no sign of abating despite Ferguson's denial.

In some of Monday's newspapers, it is claimed Keane will reject a new contract because of the alleged disagreement, while the Daily Express even suggests the Irishman will be stripped of the Old Trafford captaincy.

However, The Times insists the pair will resolve any differences.

Throughout Keane's 12-year career at Manchester United, he has been an increasingly close confidant of Ferguson.

But the combative midfielder also has a history of voicing criticisms of the way training camps are set up.

He stormed out of the Republic of Ireland's camp ahead of the 2002 World Cup because he was unhappy with the way it was being run.

United began their tour on Saturday with a 2-0 win over Hong Kong and will travel to China for a match against Beijung Hyundai on Tuesday.

They then fly to Tokyo for two more games against Kashima Antlers on Thursday and Urawa Reds next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Football365.com are running with the headline "Keane To Quit ManYoo?". Sounds like people are blowing this out of proportion, but at the same time, every football site seems to be running the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

PHB wrote:
    Shock Shock, its all crap:

"Any disagreement he may have had with his manager is a private matter and will not be the subject of comment."

I don't think so. Kennedy gets paid the big bucks for his PR skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Lads you're all deluding yourselves if you can't see this for what it is - Keane is looking for a way out of United so that he can get the big money move to Arsenal that he always wanted now that Viera has left!!!!!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Very interesting viewpoint.

Advertisement