Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Win2k startup problem

• 24-07-2005 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Having a problem with Windows 2000 (service pack 4), whereby it starts, but when it gets to the screen where it says "loading personal settings", "loading network settings", "loading computer settings" or it finishes those screens (the background picture appears, but no icons), it doesn't do anything. I've left it for an hour, but it still does nothing.

I have an external DSL router, but it doesn't matter if its on or off, the computer still pauses on the same screens.

This used to be just affecting me for the "loading network settings" screen, whereby I'd just switch off the router, but lately its affecting thje other screens.

Now it usually it takes upto 10 reboots before it goes into Windows. I've thought of Windows XP, but as its this is the only problem, I'm not going to bother (XP would cause me more problems than this one).

=-=

Any help, or pointers would be nice. At the moment, I just leave the PC on, rebooting it every 3 or 4 days, as its pointless turning it off daily, as it takes too many reboots to start it.

Oh, and so far, it goes into Safe Mode with no problems, if thats any help to you, and there's no "odd" entries or those that shouldn't be there in Windows/CurrentVersion/Run in the registry.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

have you tried making a new user profile, see if it gives the same kinda problems loading into the new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

can u do a logged boot and post the log

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is safe mode with Network OK or just safe mode ?

Keep holding down the shift key when you click on the OK after typing your password - might just skip some stuff.

I take it you have checked stuff you've added recently, and that there is space on the drives. Use msconfig to turn off stuff or AutoRuns ( gpedit.msc has stuff hidden there somewhere )

I like pagedfrg - have seen system32\config\software in several hundred fragments before, may speed up program launches as every app when it loads has to scan that file to for it's reg settings.

New profile solves so many problems, especially with microsoft office, it's scary - setup a new admin user in safe mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

Startup the pc, hit F8 to select safe mode.
    In safe mode enter your profile c:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\
    In folder view, view all files including system files, rename NTUSER.DAT to something else, and copy c:\Winnt\System32\Repair\NTUSER.DAT to your profile. Now restart your pc. Windows 2000 has been known to slow due to network name resolution, or anything similar, upon reboot remove the network cable. Then reboot after placing the network cable and configuring the interface again, see if it takes its time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is safe mode with Network OK or just safe mode ?
    It boots into Network Safe Mode no problem.
    In folder view, view all files including system files, rename NTUSER.DAT to something else, and copy c:\Winnt\System32\Repair\NTUSER.DAT to your profile. Now restart your pc. Windows 2000 has been known to slow due to network name resolution, or anything similar, upon reboot remove the network cable. Then reboot after placing the network cable and configuring the interface again, see if it takes its time
    Gonna try this now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can't do this: NTUSER.DAT can't be moved, deleted, or copied onto(replaced), as "the source or destination may be in use" in normal mode, safe mode, and safe mode with networking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

can you log in as another use, like an administrator, just remember that if you erase ntuser.dat you will wipe you personal settings like connection settings and some applications might need to be set up again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

while its sitting there on the blank screen press ctrl-shift-esc and windows task manager will pop up...

then go to processes the select explorer.exe and click end task.

then go back to applications and press new task, type in explorer.exe and click run/ok

your desktop should re-appear in a min or two,

then run service pack 4 back in and then run windows update and install all critical updates.
    its a bug with service pack 4 and one of the antivirus programs afaik but reinstallation of sp4 fix's it

Advertisement