Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bucket loads rain in south.

• 24-07-2005 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Since Midnight to 07 GMT

Cork Airport & Roches Point 53mm :eek: :eek:

Adding yesterdays figures

31h totals are

Cork Airport 69mm
    Roches Point 61mm

The radar is amazing, loads more to come.

Very defined line along north of rainband which seems to be about Arklow or slightly south. Earthman??

Was a flood warning issue for Cork couple days back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

In fact the Cork airport figures are even higher.

7h total (since 0100 BST) of 61mm and still raining.

Started monsooning rain here near Arklow Mothman about a half hour ago.
    Very very heavy, so its not far away from you now!!! though it seems we are just fringing the northern edge of it.

Earthman wrote:
    Started monsooning rain here near Arklow Mothman about a half hour ago.
    Very very heavy, so its not far away from you now!!! though it seems we are just fringing the northern edge of it.

Will probably get a mm or 2. Though I'm heading south later anyway.

8h totals

Cork Airport 65.5mm
    Roches Point 60.4mm

32h totals
    Cork Airport 82mm
    Roches Point 69mm

I would suggest bringing a wet suit :D

Ponds of water now on the tarmac in front of the house here and its running down the lane,certainly a lot of rain in the last 40 mins or so and still noisilly pouring down.

Those totals for cork are frightening.
    Incidently the radar is showing pink and white near me(downpour) which is rare.

The first drops in the last minute.

Just north of Wicklow Town.

• Advertisement

9 hour totals

Cork Airport 69.4mm

Roches Point 62.2mm

Meanwhile
    Deck is still not wet yet, so just a few drops

Now raining :D

Rainrate 11mm/hr

Lightened off here for a bit but its back to monsoonal levels again in the last hour :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tipping down since about 8 pm the inner ring road partial flooded and the Tramore road will be closed by the morning if this carries on much longer.

Mike.

Light rain here since it started. 9mm in all..

24h totals to 1900 BST

Cork Airport 73.7mm
    Roches Point 63.4mm
    Rosslare 53.3mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Yeah. That was a weird one. Been watchin Dublin GFS ensembles since last Sunday when they indicated that there'd be a couple of cm's of rain but apart from a couple of heavy bits yesterday afternoon it all seems to have kept south of south Dublin. Damp day with no drying out there. Ensemble is suggesting something similar for next Fri/Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Stayed dry for me in north Dublin

Mothman wrote:
    Light rain here since it started. 9mm in all..
    I'd imagine there could have been double that here,I'll know soon enough as someone over the road records.
    The rain never really stopped here, it eased off to a light spit and then got heavy again at around 5pm before it finished at about 7-so 10 hours of rain just an hour south of highdef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Any figures for Birr and Kilkenny?

And still the dry spell continues in North Dublin. My front garden is looking very brown and yellow when the grass should be nice and green. Met Eireann are giving rain in the east on Thursday but the BBC are not, so it remains to be seen. All I know is that I spent 15 mins watering the flowers at 1am tonight as they were wilting considering the fact I only watered them 3 days agao. Grass has been left to its own defences, and rightly so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally some proper rain today, it must be the first time ive seen proper rain in nearly 3 months, - my garden is yellow/brown too but already turning greener since this morning:)

having said that its good to see the rain but hopefully after today we wont see it again till september lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Normally I hate rain but today it kind of cheered me up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the rain was needed this morning but its now lasted all day, I was out in the centre of town earlier and it was just so miserable, the temperature is hovering between 11c and 12c today, its just so cold, it could be mistaken for one of those mildish wet January days lol. Everyone in their full winter clothing and wetgear, people struggling with their umbrella's and spray from traffic! Meanwhile London had this exact weather yesterday and they reported there coldest July day in 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:(

That is all

(Though in fairness it hasn't really rained that much in recent weeks).

Much needed rain today, in all fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

ERM... It looks like it is forgetting to stop... shucks!

its been raining for about 48 hours now, i know we needed rain badly for the ground etc but we've had more than enough by now lol.. tomorrow better be dryer!

hmmm 31 c maxed out at here today :p

rain finally stopped but it still looks like it could rain any minute, but the forecast looks better for next week but nothing wonderfull, 19c-22c for next week with good dry days and some showery days.

Advertisement