Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welcome to the revamped boards.ie!

• 08-09-2001 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Hope you like our new system.

Community boards to follow soon.

John.
    --

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

sweeet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Very nice......

I like the javascript smilies

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

im still drooling

give me a day or two to test out all these options then ill get back to ya :D
    :eek: <<<I LOVE THE NEW EEK!!!!!!1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gonna take some getting used to I'll wager, but looks pretty funky!

Cheers Cloud!

@B^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I like it a lot, but no drop down menus :(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Nice one...
    of course change is bad... and all them newfangled buttons and stuff to play with... that'll take me bloddy ages to figure out.

Anyway, good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Aye - nice to see the new model. Much the same as OcUK use, afaik. I like the "auto-jump" to different sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Mmmm aready posted somethin on the After Hours board.(didn' see this post)
    Very similar to other boards but the form for makin a post is still the best one i've come across but plz bring back the drop down menu's at the top its a pain in the hole to have to scroll to the bottom of the page an search though the little thing.

But all n all, not too bad ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Very nice, much sleeker than the old flatfile one.

what does it use for the backend?, mysql?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

There were, as I remember, about 4,000 posts on the IrelandOffline forum - now I only see just over 500. :confused: - is it that ye are in the midst of exporting to the new system and they'll all be there soon? If so good stuff :)

Oh... also - will ye be re-implementing the "most recent five threads" link lists?... I'd like to be able to put that back on the IOFFL web site (here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Groovy maaaan, I'm registered since Jan 1970!...far out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Yep it's now SQL based.

Bard, I've fixed the post count, I had a heart stoppage there thinking posts were missing!

John.
    --

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Love the new look, very user friendly, must go and have a look at what new features have been added now :).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't like the new boards much tbh. The new changes remind me of ICQ - it started out as a nice little program that functioned well, but gradually it was turned into a bloated over featureful mess.

BTW the avatar selection page sucks - it took me ages to find my avatar, where originally i could have found it in an instant.

Oh, and there are a LOT of bugs to iron out too.

// EDIT- My typing SUCKS :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

I like it a lot, though it will take some time to get used to tbh. Gr8 job cloud, and anyone else who was involved, it looks real spiffy :)

Occy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Lot's of useful new things I've spotted so far, like new moderator options for one, and polls too, but I've got one problem with it so far, my announcement on the CS board that contained all the irish servers and was soon to contain information on joining the HL community on IRC has disappeared and I can't find any way to put it back :(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BTW the avatar selection page sucks - it took me ages to find my avatar, where originally i could have found out in an instant.

I'm writing a hack for that for at the moment, using a categorised avatar collection. I'll notify Cloud or DeVore when I release it on the vBulletin site.

This is v2.0.3 of vBulletin btw, you should have a look at the list of stuff they have planned for the next major release. It'll beat the pants off the UBB.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This is great guys, thanks a million!:cool:

Edit: Avatars....argh, page 50 or so mine was on ...snore

More smileys please:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Would I be right in presuming that the machine isn't where it used to be? I notice I'm now getting transfers from boards at 3/4/5k and it stays that way until the page is done.. with the old one, it timed out, and dropped to a few hundred bytes/sec quite often.

No comment on the fancy buttons, knobs and whatever else there is... must go poking around now.

Oooh, we can attatch files eh? hrm...

[edit for lots of little typos and such]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Nah, it hasn't moved. Probably the fact that it's no longer backed by flat files is what's making the speed difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Normaly I dont like change BUT I have to say this really R U L E S Excellently made :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

The tables don't seem to work; when I view a topic, the cell at the left side (with info about the poster) is not the same width ALL the way down.. each one is different width.. It's all distorted.

I don't like it. At All. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Really nice stuff here Cloud et all real nice :)

Think i'll sit here all night and play with it.

And the old Cloud board Style rocks... alot of white text in it tho... but it rocks... really rocks. (Sorry, I've just cum) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

hhhmmmmm

Call me old fashioned but I prefer the old lay out. I'm sure I'll get used to this one but maybe it would have worked better had you made the changes slowly instead of dropping this bomb on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Stuff I like
    1. Javascript stuff to help posting
    2. Fresh, clean, professional looking design much nicer than before
    3. smileys easy to find (i mnever knew how to do that question mark one :confused:
    4. PM's
    5. Rate this threads
    6. Karma gone (it was the cause of a lot of hassle and no good)
    7. Subscribing to threads
    8. Buddy lists (haven't used it yet but it sounds good)
    9. Control panel (inc. style set)
    and a load of other features i haven't noticed yet that are very good
    (If the page loads faster, i didn't notice because i've just come from American DSL back to Irish ISDN)

Stuff I would like to see changed
    1. The old avatars list was better
    2. It would be great to integrate boards.ie with quake.ie and fortress.ie... i dunno if they're independent and ye don't wantt his to happen, or if ye're working on it atm or something, but it would own
    3. HOSTED link on the left before... i liked viewing ppl's websites that were hosted on boards.ie, because then you don't have to go and see all their "Mr.Poster's web design" type sites, as the boards hosted sites are usually more personal.

thats all i can think of atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

It's nice to see the site isn't stagnant but I have reservations about the new look..
    Mainly disappearance of drop down menus, lack of humerous descriptions, the slightly over-designed feel and the many bugs, but hey it is the first day! and the d/l times don't seem too bad.

Keep on trying and you'll get it (almost) right in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Relative

When I grow up to be a SENIOR MEMBER can I have a symbol beside my name ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Trev

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17360

Cloud/DeV, could you please note I am posting this at 21:55pm on the 8th of September 2001.

If you look at the thread above. Co33ie has posted a reply that has been dated 9th of September. So all the posts after Co33ie's go above it until tommorow.

It seems strange that co33ie's post has been put on the 9th of September when its only the 8th.

If it's only me seeing it like this I'd be happy to send you a screenshot ;).

Otherwise, looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

This SUCKS!!!!!!!

The cool stars under your name are gone, as is my avatar.

This is just a copy of what the other forum sites do. Boards looked much better and was more original and cool in its old form. We should hold a poll to put it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Good Work lads nice site update very well done Good Work lads nice site update very well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I love it persoanlly but the one thing i will miss is the drop down menus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭linkin

I like your black colours Cloud :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I'm loving it. Loads of new features...Especially like the easy to use vB code buttons.

I think most people don't like it simply because its different..but I bet it will grow on must of ye after a while.

Good Job! :D

p.s.
    me talking to linkin:
    <Kyro> try clouds one..its all black and stuyff
    *** Trunks_ssj has quit IRC (Ping timeout for Trunks_ssj[AC9195BE.ipt.aol.com])
    <stratATwork> default is the one for me for the time being
    <stratATwork> till i egt used t othis vb lark
    <stratATwork> then switch to devs groovy one :D
    <Link_> kyro what gives u the idea i like black?
    <stratATwork> linkin
    <nakeface> LINKIN IS A FATHEAD OMG LIKE WTF LOL
    I like your black colours Cloud

That is all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

When they changed them it went down hill...........the why this is now is the same lay out......infact everything but the color is the same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by PHB
    I love it persoanlly but the one thing i will miss is the drop down menus.

NOOOOooooo........

If you bring it back, make it optional.

Btw a couple of bugs.

I get this when viewing a thread (3 times at the top)
    "Warning: unexpected error in date() in ./admin/functions.php on line 1485"

Also "Dev's Groovey look" seems to be black on black in some areas. I'm sure Dev can see various shades of black (he has the latent goth gene :)) but normal people can't. :)

Oh and "Preview post" posts it instead of views it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Digi_Tilmitt
    This SUCKS!!!!!!!

The cool stars under your name are gone, as is my avatar.

This is just a copy of what the other forum sites do. Boards looked much better and was more original and cool in its old form. We should hold a poll to put it back. weah weah weah

You sir, are a muppet. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

This all looks very cool indeed.
    But oh dear god is it strange :(
    Scarey stuff....
    I agree with [whoeveritwas] that said it looks a bit... er... too much.
    I'm one of these 'less is more' kinda people... at the moment, I feel visually assaulted by all the extra.... things.
    Geurrk... this'll take some getting used to :(

:eek: :( :mad: :p:) :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Amp test.

Eurgh :(
    too... many... tiny.... images.... can't... concentrate ... on ... text....
    When are the clan boards coming back?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cluttered :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I can't help but think we'll see a whole new generation of posts for the troll boards with people experimenting with colours and things. :)

I suppose the vB code will help newbies or non-techies but it wasn't all that complicated before :)

All in all it looks like all the images will make the boards harder to read, and some of the new features will encourage frivolity (bad thing? :confused: ) but I suppose we'll get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Relative

Apologies for jumping the gun (I am only a junior member) but it is GREAT to have my avatar back. It's like been reunited with my soul mate, best friend and I only had to go to page 52 to find him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

If the boards had the old stars and the "Cool newbie" "Freak" "Fast Newbie" etc etc it would be the best boards.ie style EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Lads, anyone who feels the boards are 'too cluttered' or have 'too many images' ...Relax :) give it a bit of time and you wont even notice the extra stuff.
    Hey, now were on vB, we might even get flash sigs.....mmmmmm....flash sigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

great! i love it!

:):):):):)

Test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Originally posted by kaids
    Cluttered :(

Says it all really ..too many shiny buttons and stuff , Most of which well never use , but It is only a bb system , it isnt actually the end of the world

Just to Illkillya - the WWW link below each post should do the same. For those worried about clutter, we will see about adding a minimalist style later on with non-button like images.

John.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

The copyright statement at the bottom of each page looks like you are attributing copyright of the website to Jelsoft Enterprises Limited instead of Boards Ltd. Should be Boards shouldn't it, Jelsoft are just the company that made the discussion board software you are using?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok.

I know this is really weird etc. All new and scary stuff... like I said, I'm scared too :)

So, what are the plans and when can you start to constructively critiscise? Well...

Things that we want to bring back:

1. The navigation (ie drop down links to forums). They were good and we can make them work in netscape hopefully or make something better...

2. Stars hacks and names. Its much easier to do with this system so dont worry, we just havent had a chance to get around to it.

3. Dont worry about the style at the moment. We'll be opening up the style pack to anyone who wants to try their hand at a skin for boards. Also I think a minimalist style is a great idea as I dont like the morass of buttons on the default one, its too over crowded alright.
    See... the layout is what you want it to be. Everyone can have their own boards.ie pretty soon so were a step further to EVERYONE being happy. But it will take time.

4.Cloud is working on the mail system (for passwords etc) and I've moved over the old moderators (except the clans areas).

5. Clans will be offline for about 2 days I expect, sorry but there are issues with them (not big ones but time consuming ones).

I remember (as other will) the move from Clouds Boards to Boards.ie. Just about half the people whinged that stuff was worse and the white hurt their eyes etc... it just took a little getting used to and I think when everyone begins to understand the power of this new system and we get a few skins up and running... I think everyone will like this system better.

Thanks for your patience, I know you'll stick with us and support us... you always do!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

i love the new layout

very professional :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement