Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Vs Lyon in the peace cup [spoiler]

• 24-07-2005 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Spurs win peace cup

Spurs 3 Lyon 1
    Berthod OG 7 Ben Arfa PEN 73
    Keane 9, 46

I was watching this match Live this morning on British Eurosport and have to say I was really impressed by this spurs team. they played some superb one touch football with Mido and Keane linking up very well.

Keane was on the end of two beautiful, flowing moves. The first was a great pass from Carrick to Mido who then put a sublime cross into the box from the left which Keane headed passed Coupet. The second was an equally fluid move with Reid releasing Mido down the left for a first touch low cross which cut out the Lyon defence and left Keane to slot it home on the far post.

Routledge and Reid both looked really dangerous down the wings with Routledge getting great support from Stephen Kelly on the right.

Looking at the squad that spurs have this season, the youth and the quality it's hard to see them not being in the top six maybe even top four. Players like Robinson, King, Kelly, Edman, Reid, Carrick, Marney, Routledge, Keane, Mido, Defoe, Kanoute. If Jol can keep that team together for a few years they could even start to compete with the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd for 2nd/3rd spot.

Martin Jol is certainly putting his mark on the team now.

I think I might put a few quid on Spurs for 4th place in the league this season.

The teams were:

Spurs: Cerny, Kelly, Edman (Bunjevcevic, 36), King, Gardner, Routledge, Reid, Tainio (Mendes, 45; Marney 88), Carrick, Mido (Kanoute, 67), Keane (Defoe, 65).
    Subs from: Fulop, Burch, Yeates, Davenport, Huddlestone, Lennon, El-Hamdaoui.

Lyon: 1 Gregory Coupet, 5 Claudio Roberto Cacapa (C), 12 Anthony Reveillere, 3 Cristiano Cris, 23 Jeremy Berthod, 4 Michael Essien, 7 Mahamadou Diarra, 10 Florent Malouda, 26 Benoit Pedretti, 14 Sylvain Wiltord, Sydney Govou.
    Subs from: 25 Joan Hartock, 30 Remy Vercoutre, 15 Lamine Diatta, 24 Sylvain Monsoreau, 6 Jeremy Clement, 31 Francois Clerc, 13 Pierre-Alain Frau, 11 Honorato Nilmar, 19 Karim Benzema, 9 John Carew, 18 Hatem Ben Arfa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kelly crossed for the Lyon og btw. Good to see all 3 Irish do well. Keane was top scorer in the tournament despite on starting 2 games. Got a brace in both.

If there was one set of fans in the premiership that I envy this season its certainly the Spurs fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

My Ex was at this game...They were the only Irish there and Robbie spotted em and gave them his boots....she's giving them to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Spurs look like a really good side, but I would have serious doubts about their consistancy right now. It could be a couple of seasons before tehy can have the same consistency of the top teams. Clubs dont fear the visit of Spurs right now, like they do with united arsenal and chelsea. Thats a fairly big pyschological factor which spurs need to build up over time.

I agree though, even last season, they played some beautiful, flowing football. Some of the best in the League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

eirebhoy wrote:
    Kelly crossed for the Lyon og btw. Good to see all 3 Irish do well. Keane was top scorer in the tournament despite on starting 2 games. Got a brace in both.

Yeah forgot to mention that. Kelly looks really sharp and is a real attacking threat down the right for Spurs. I will be interesting to see how he does in his first full season in the first team.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    If there was one set of fans in the premiership that I envy this season its certainly the Spurs fans.

Yeah I know they have some of the best talent in the country. Hopefully Jol can get a really good team spirit going and make them into a really good team.

I suppose the only question mark in the team is the centre-half pairing of Gardener and King. They could do with another top class defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Draupnir wrote:
    Spurs look like a really good side, but I would have serious doubts about their consistancy right now. It could be a couple of seasons before tehy can have the same consistency of the top teams. Clubs dont fear the visit of Spurs right now, like they do with united arsenal and chelsea. Thats a fairly big pyschological factor which spurs need to build up over time.

I agree though, even last season, they played some beautiful, flowing football. Some of the best in the League.
    Its seems to be the same every year though, and they always end up finishing a consistent 8th or so.

Who is this Tainio lad? A new signing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Who is this Tainio lad? A new signing?

Played for Auxerre.
    Signed a pre-contract back in January Full Story. Attacking midfielder apparently.
    Its seems to be the same every year though, and they always end up finishing a consistent 8th or so.

Jol seems to be getting them to perform regularly. I just have a feeling after seeing them today. They really look like a team that could achieve something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jol has been making some great great signings.
    I don't expect them to challenge or anything, but I think they will get into Europe this year, and push for the CL the following

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

evilhomer wrote:
    Played for Auxerre.
    Signed a pre-contract back in January Full Story. Attacking midfielder apparently.
    Thanks for that. Cant go wrong with the Scandinavians!
    evilhomer wrote:
    Jol seems to be getting them to perform regularly. I just have a feeling after seeing them today. They really look like a team that could achieve something.
    But thats just always the case with Spurs. The seem to be on the up and then something happens. Perennial underachievers. They actually havnt finished in the top eight for years, and they havnt really had many cup runs of note in the last few years bar that league cup win about four years ago. Id like to see them do well as they are a decent side, play decent football, and some good Irish players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

They really are the great under-achievers of the PL, but I think they have the squad to surprise people this year. I remember the very start of last season they were flying under Santini, then they got into the whole mess of him leaving. I think they'll crack the top 5 or 6 this season.

And when it seemed like Keane was on his way out at the end of last season, he has looked on fire so far in pre-season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Its probably just me but I sense a bit of favouritism for Defoe in this Jol quote:
    "I am certain if Jermain had played he would have scored and ended up as top scorer instead."

I was reading the Spurs match report and seen this:

"A sensational start saw an own goal and a Robbie Keane header put us two goals to the good inside the first ten minutes before Keane - voted Most Valuable Player of the tournament - effectively sealed the game just before half-time. A late penalty reply could not alter the outcome of the game."

What was that vote about? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

evilhomer wrote:

I suppose the only question mark in the team is the centre-half pairing of Gardener and King. They could do with another top class defender.

If Dawson hadn't got his nose broken in the first match he'd have played.

I'd consider Davenport and Naybet to be ahead of Snoop Gardner when the season starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

the only thing i think they might be lacking is an experienced midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Keane's performences will give Jol something to think about. Definatly Top 4 contenders are Spurs. Also, with Arsenal selling Vieira and Jol making good signings, I can't wait for the North-London derby.

As for Chelsea, I don't think they should keep their interest in Essien as I thought he was disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Essien is still a hot prospect.
    When Man Utd were first reported interested in him earlier this year figures of maybe 10 million euro were floating around.
    Now because Man Utd were interested, and Chelsea are interested, his price had quadrupled and people think he is a world class player, hes not. But he will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Tbh, all Spurs need, imo, is a (influential) creative midfileder, like Ginola was, or even Poyet. Somebody who can drive the team, and be a lot more decisive in attacks. I dont know about Tainio, as ive yet to see him play, though.

I believe we have a pretty solid defence, but we will need someone who can replace Naybet because i dont think he'll be round much longer! King and Naybet are good together i think.

And as for Robbie, i hope he stays because he does a great job for Spurs, and hes been all around the place so he needs to stay put before moving so quickly again!

Im ecstatic we've won this thing, especially beating Lyon seeing as they got as far as the QF(i think) in the CL. Hopefully,its a sign of things to come...

Advertisement