Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help!

• 24-07-2005 2:22pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

My pc recently had major errors on it and I had to do a recovery of the whole pc. When using the recovery discs there was no option to repair and it basically meant that I was wiping everything and starting from scratch. PC is two years old and I thought there was nothing that I couldnt get again and went ahead with the full recovery. Typically when it was all done I remembered a load of things that I need and cant replace. I was then downloading a new media player and just browsed for any old free one on the web. Got this one called media monkey and when I started to use it I noticed that it gives me access to music that had been on the pc prior to the recovery - there had been three user accounts set on the pc and I can see these when I browse for files using media monkey, as this is just a music player it will only allow access to music files. I assume this means a lot of my files etc that were on the pc are still there but how do I get to them?

Would appreciate any help / thoughts.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which version of windows guess it's XP / 2K

Right click on the start button, explore all users - you should see the old accounts, and be able to bowse into them ( you may have to right click and change security if you get access denied )

spacemonger is great for a quick overview of a drive.

Moral = backups.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Thanks for that, got access to the two other accounts but not my own. It did come up access denied and I went into security etc but cant see how to change it.I assume I cant get into my own because its named the same as the new account?

It is XP home.

I had MS Office on the PC (was loaded 2 years ago when my job required working form home at times) - will this be gone now altogether. I have seen some files that were created on Word in the old user accounts but they are now showing as being Wordpad documents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

See my sig for openoffice :)

Security - go into advanced and you should be able to take ownership, and then change the permissions

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Funny you should mention the office replacement, was just trying to remember the name of that - someone mentioned it to me a while back, thanks :)

Will try again with security, cant seem to find an advanced option when I click on my user account.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement