Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Pix

Options
  • 24-07-2005 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Has anyone ever plugged out the IOS card from a cisco pix, and plugged in a harddrive with Linux/openBSD in it, i have an old pix, its a 501 or something and i'd like to find a use for it, its only got 256 concurrent licenses so its no good for use with a company, might replace the fans too cause its a noisey little thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Any reason why you'd want to do that? Other that for the pure geek factor! :)

Anyhow, I think you'll find the IOS image on the flash card is written for the custom hardware of the IOS there's little point in putting another OS on it. The PIX501 has probably only 32MB of RAM and no hope of interfacing. Methink you need to buy a cheap PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

On the contrary! the PIX 501, is based on x86 pc hardware, on friday i plugged a AGP card in there, and found out it uses a phoenix bios.
    It has 128Mb of RAM and i'm sure i can put more in there, the IOS is based on a flash rom on a ISA card, i wonder would this work in any other pc architecture.
    I'll let you know over the next couple of days what happens, i was trying to put 1Gb of RAM in there, but the board refused to boot...

Advertisement