Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Vista...

Comments

When I first heard the name, I hated it. Totally prefered Longhorn.

But lately i've been starting to like it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

longhorn was just a codename.

Shrimp wrote:
    longhorn was just a codename.

I'm fully aware!

therefore codenames are not kept. Anyway longhorn sounds very Ha)(oR ish...

Shrimp wrote:

Codnames are kept sometimes. I liked the name Longhorn, even it sounded as you said.

But that's just me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

It appears Microsoft are moving away from the letter/number names to actual words....similar to what Apple are doing with Tiger.

Easier to brand as well for the mass market and allows MS to keep it in the market for longer as numbers made the OS very aged in a short space of time....using Windows98 in 2005 for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

they are also going be be locking down the software to the BIOS ID , they already have copies of office 2003 for HP systems only :((

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

have you got a link to that tech? would be interested to read about it.

I read it some mag, But as I work in IT i ve seen alot of new HP Pc's lately given you and option to buy Office 2003 for HP systems only as these will only install on a HP machines, I have tired to install it on a dell as a test and sure enough it wont load... interesting stuff

I cant wait for it to come out, should be good. It seems as if it's going to be like a much more powerful version of Windows Media Version. Currently the main pc in the house here is on Windows XP MV. It's good, but the thing i it need a powerful pc. Luckly this one is a beast.

I think ppl are not going to rush into this, I'd say ppl will prolly wait till they update there pc.

btw.. on a side note.

Dictionary Vista:

A distant view or prospect, especially one seen through an opening, as between rows of buildings or trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

tech wrote:
    I read it some mag, But as I work in IT i ve seen alot of new HP Pc's lately given you and option to buy Office 2003 for HP systems only as these will only install on a HP machines, I have tired to install it on a dell as a test and sure enough it wont load... interesting stuff

interesting indeed. lockin the OS to the BIOS ID is quite smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Quite annoying aswell :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

you do realise the implications of software locking

hopefully a CUT ----8<-- /CUT of some sort will be made

for every lock there is always a few KEYS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Im sure you are not possibly contemplating thinking about pirating this new software before it even comes out?
    Come on, people! There was a crack for the XP activation procedure released by the major cracking groups before Windows XP even went retail
    In a completely unrelated matter, what do you think of the latest beta version of longhorn/Vista? Its running great, even on my modestly-specced laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Microsoft may be in trouble for naming its forthcoming operating system Vista after it transpired that the name has been registered by an American company for nearly six years.

hopefully they work it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

zuma wrote:
    It appears Microsoft are moving away from the letter/number names to actual words....similar to what Apple are doing with Tiger.

Easier to brand as well for the mass market and allows MS to keep it in the market for longer as numbers made the OS very aged in a short space of time....using Windows98 in 2005 for example.

Apple have kept a consistent versioning scheme for their OSes since System 7. 'Tiger' is both the codename and marketing name for the latest version of OSX. Its version number is 10.4 (10.4.2 currently). Before that was Panther (10.3), Jaguar (10.2) etc.

I never liked Windows using year numbers for their software. Using a name like 'XP' makes more sense if they stuck with it, like 'XP 2.0' or whatever.

Vista sounds nice but it gives you no idea of how the actual product relates to 2000, XP etc. I wonder will they continue to make up completely new names for each release of the OS?

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Some things will never change.

0,1425,sz=1&i=102824,00.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Shrimp wrote:

Codenames often do carry over into real products... the classic example is "OS/2 Warp" (OS/2 v.3 and 4); "OS/2 Klingon (really!)" never saw the light of day with that name...

• Advertisement

Microsoft may be in trouble for naming its forthcoming operating system Vista after it transpired that the name has been registered by an American company for nearly six years.

no doubt if worst comes to the worst, I'm sure bill will be able to do an out of court settlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

One of the largest company's in the world and they cant even check trademarks for the name...............

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭markpb

Ste- wrote:
    Some things will never change.

Beta software in not being 100% reliable shocker :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

markpb wrote:
    Beta software in not being 100% reliable shocker :-)
    Windows not being 100% reliable full stop.... shocker.

Right just the mere screenshots of Vista are making me want to perminantly delete my NTFS partition and stick with SuSe or Debian. Pity the likes of Adobe Premier and After Effects, or similiar open source programs won't run on Linux. Don't even get me started about wine :P

Achilles wrote:
    Windows not being 100% reliable full stop.... shocker.

Right just the mere screenshots of Vista are making me want to perminantly delete my NTFS partition and stick with SuSe or Debian. Pity the likes of Adobe Premier and After Effects, or similiar open source programs won't run on Linux. Don't even get me started about wine :P

You can always settle for a virtualisor.

Using such a high end ap tho, and trying to emulate the OS it's running on at the same time would be very counter productive. Easier just to boot to Windows tbh.

Achilles wrote:
    Using such a high end ap tho, and trying to emulate the OS it's running on at the same time would be very counter productive. Easier just to boot to Windows tbh.

No emulation involved. VMWare (commercial) and QEmu-virtualizor (free closed source) both claim between half and full normal speed for most tasks, rising to almost full for processor-bound tasks. They seem to largely deliver on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ok i have a copy of windows 2000 that only runs on dell machines............

also i have vista B1 is good but slower net and cant get my soundcard to work :(

weeder wrote:
    ok i have a copy of windows 2000 that only runs on dell machines............

also i have vista B1 is good but slower net and cant get my soundcard to work :(
    Relivent how?
    rsynnott wrote:
    No emulation involved. VMWare (commercial) and QEmu-virtualizor (free closed source) both claim between half and full normal speed for most tasks, rising to almost full for processor-bound tasks. They seem to largely deliver on this.

Hrm... will they run games too yeah? If so I'm deleting windows right away, and installing either SuSe, or trying to get my Knoppix to HD install script to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

im saying that locking OS to bios is already being used and is annoying as hell

Advertisement