Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places To Drink In Galway On Race Week

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

tman wrote:
    your best bet would be to grab a few carry outs and plastic glasses as was already suggested

I totally agree! All the pubs are packed full of drunk knuckling dragging twats, who are only happy to kick your teeth in for looking at them!

Even in the outskirts in places like Oranmore, etc. All the pubs are jammed and smell of s**t.

Safest bet is either bushing or having a wee bit of a social gathering in a house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Tackle

ionapaul wrote:
    I'll be outside the Vineyard with some vodka concoction early in the evening, then on to Halo most nights this week. Might even visit the Living Room and the Front Door at some stage. I imagine most Boardsies would HATE those places. Not looking forward to my long drive down this evening after work, though I will get to visit glorious Moate and wonderful Loughrea, so it won't be all bad...:D

The Living Room and Halo are good spots alright. Pity I didn't see your message a few daya ago, I could have given you directions that would've knocked hours off your journey.
    Well here they are for future reference:

1. Instead of taking the main overburdened Dublin-Galway road head to Tullamore and take the road that goes to the Blue Ball. Turn right when you get to the Blue Ball pub and then put the pedal to the medal :D Big empty roads where you can go as fast as you like, this is where I make BIG time savings.

2. Go through Shannonbridge and on to Ballinasloe.

3. When you get Ballina(go)sloe go into the town and take the road to Kilconnel. We all know (Grid)Loughrea is a traffic disaster and the bypass won't be open for another few years so this is effectively the Loughrea bypass in the meantime. ;)

4. From Kilconnel head through a few more sh1tholes till you reach Athenry.

5. From Athenry take the road to Oranmore.

6. You'll come out on the main Dublin - Galway road about 5 or 10 miles from Oranmore. There is actually another shortcut from here that'll bring you out at the Oranmore roundabout but I don't think the road even shows up on maps so you could end up taking the wrong turn and wasting time.

7. Reverse these directions for the journey home.

You're after avoiding all of the traffic and even on a normal day with no race week traffic this is a much faster route. During raceweek it would've have saved you at least 2 hours. Bring a map with you so can follow these directions and see the route I'm talking about. A few minutes with the map will save you hours on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

The Radisson was packed Thursday night and I had a great night. It was free in too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hit Halo Wednesday and Friday and had a blast, all the classy ladies really dug the ionapaul vibe :) Front Door and partying on the street outside on Thursday, there was a DJ box set up outside Buskers with a huge crowd dancing away, the Vineyard must have made a fortune! The women of Ladies Day...WOW! Best year so far for eye candy, though maybe I'm just getting older and more forgiving :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Thank God it's all over. Maybe now I can have a nice quiet drink somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sarky wrote:
    Thank God it's all over. Maybe now I can have a nice quiet drink somewhere.

Hear hear! Shall we pop down to O'Connors again and partake of their fine whiskey again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Maybe when I've recovered from the shock at seeing just how expensive it was...

Advertisement