Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Speeds

• 24-07-2005 5:29pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Im experiencing very slow connection speeds. Seems like im back to 56K speeds.

Visiting websites takes ages for them to fully load, filling in a form and clicking "submit" also seems to take a long time to send of. I have tried several websites and there all slow. I have checked it on my brothers laptop in his house and its very fast - he is on the same speed as me, just with Esat. So - the problem seems with the speed of my connection here or something else slowing down sites I want to visit.

Downloading and Uploading seems normal. Its not 'selected' sites, its all sites I go to.

Any ideas why this could be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sully04 wrote:
    Hey,

Im experiencing very slow connection speeds. Seems like im back to 56K speeds.

Visiting websites takes ages for them to fully load, filling in a form and clicking "submit" also seems to take a long time to send of. I have tried several websites and there all slow. I have checked it on my brothers laptop in his house and its very fast - he is on the same speed as me, just with Esat. So - the problem seems with the speed of my connection here or something else slowing down sites I want to visit.

Downloading and Uploading seems normal. Its not 'selected' sites, its all sites I go to.

Any ideas why this could be?

Could be a lot of noise has started on your line, bad connection to exchange or your router.

Have you power cycled your router and what speed does it show on the router?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sparky_S wrote:
    Could be a lot of noise has started on your line, bad connection to exchange or your router.

Have you power cycled your router and what speed does it show on the router?

I dont have any options with my router. Im with UTV for my ISP. It seems to be only certain websites, not all.. weird. Those sites work fine on my bro's PC tho. Thought at first it was all, but some sites load OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sully04 wrote:
    I dont have any options with my router. Im with UTV for my ISP. It seems to be only certain websites, not all.. weird. Those sites work fine on my bro's PC tho. Thought at first it was all, but some sites load OK.

could be something to do with the DNS settings.

try
    prefered dns 192.111.39.1
    alt. dns 192.111.39.4

go to your connection properties then select internet protocol (TCP/IP) double click on it and then click use following dns server button and input the above addresses and see if your speed increases.

If nothing is noticable ring up utv and tell them your net speed is really slow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry, forgot to come back and check this topic! Iv added the DNS Servers, ill see how it goes. Called UTV but they fobbed me off as if im some newbie and just showed me a "tweak" with task manager on the graphs. Also said ICC he would "not recommend" and blamed that - telling me to get a broadband route from Linksys.

Also reported that my mail was being returned cause the servers IP address is blacklisted by Spamcop - tho later I was told on the newsgroup its been like that for a long time and they never fix it.

Advertisement