Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows XP search problem

• 24-07-2005 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

The search function on my computer doesn't seem to be searching anything other than My Documents. Here's a screen shot of a search for "FTP":
    http://members.boards.ie/eirebhoy/c_local.JPG

I've tried that search in "My computer" and the same results come up.

Any idea why its not searching "My programs", etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

From what I can see from the screenshot all seems ok. Looks like the only problem as such is that there aren't any files matching your search criteria anywhere else on your computer.

Try doing a search for *.exe and see what comes up and where the results are located. Include the asterisk in the search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Soundman wrote:
    From what I can see from the screenshot all seems ok. Looks like the only problem as such is that there aren't any files matching your search criteria anywhere else on your computer.

Try doing a search for *.exe and see what comes up and where the results are located. Include the asterisk in the search.
    Returns

C:\Documents and settings\~\My Documents
    C:\Documents and settings\~\Desktop
    C:\Documents and settings\~\Application Data
    C:\Dell
    C:\Dev-Cpp
    C:\HikackThis
    C:\I386
    C:\Drivers
    C:\temp
    C:\Guide2C
    C:\NVIDIA

They are all the folders it looked in. There isn't that many results tbh. No "Programs Files" searched.

I asked it to search "Program Files" specifically for *.exe files and it comes back with much more results than it does if I ask it to search C: for *.exe files.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is Search System Folders checked under Search Options?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dahamsta wrote:
    Is Search System Folders checked under Search Options?

adam
    Yep. Ticked boxes are Search System Folders and Search Subfolders.

Actually, I've just searched with the Advanced Options ticked and it does search all folders. I didn't realise you had to have the Advances Options box ticked when searching. Cheers Adam.

Its actually pretty stupid. If I click on "Search Options <<" to minimize it it doesn't search System Folders. When I click "Search Options <<" to maximize it does search them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Thats pretty strange. I never have my advanced options menu maximised yet it still searches the whole drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement